Thread: Car Buying Tips

Thanks

Car Buying Tips

Going to take a look at a car tomorrow that im intrested in buying. Its from a dealer and im looking to purchase a 12month warranty with it.

Can anyone provide me with any tips/advice/questions i should ask and/or things i should look out for?

Appreciate any help.
    Car is a Black VW Polo CL 1.4 (1998)

Thanks,
    Nemz.

Thanks
    Advice: don't buy it. My mum had one and it's like driving a sponge. No power, crappy loose steering, limp floppy suspension...yuk. Really, you owe it to yourself to buy a decent car like a Clio or something. Polos suck major a$$.

Rich :¬)

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    have you thought about a turbo diesel? apparently they do awesum milage in polos

anyways. check all panels are aligned and the same colour. check the cambelt/servicing has been done. check for unusal noises at full lock. put the car into a speed where torque is its most (guessing that peak torque will be around 3krpm, put it in 2nd at that speed) and boot it, check there are no signs of clutch slipping. listen to exhaust for odd noises. check tyres have a lot of wear in them. check car doesnt pull one way or t' other. dont buy dealers excuses - if something isnt working right and he has a reason, CHECK IT OUT WITH SOMEONE IN THE KNOW! on here is as good as anywhere.
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Now seen the car. It looked to be in pretty good shape.

The brakes were a little scratchy..i was told that this happens when a car has been stationary for a while as a layer of rust can build up....can anyone verify this???
    I told him i aint buying anything unless he gets it taken care of. (Does come with 12 month MOT though)

Gave it a test drive, gears engage properly shifting up and down, handbrake works, brakes although scratchy do work and do so quite well, car pulls nicely, i slapped it in 5th at around 25mph and it pulled without causing grief. 2nd pulled very nicely..got me some nice wheelspin . Alignment was ok, ignition was functioning, spare tire was there, all electrics worked despite my efforts to force an problem, offered 12 month warranty.

Cambelt was changed 1000 miles ago. Has the V5 and FSH all matched up. Took the Reg No and VIN to have the history checked and its clear.

I liked the car, looks good and drives well (in my limited experience anyway) and i WANT IT

So.....looks like i might gets me a polo, pending the brakes being sorted.

Thanks
    Quick tap on the breaks should clear a couple of months rust no problems.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeliza
    The brakes were a little scratchy..i was told that this happens when a car has been stationary for a while as a layer of rust can build up....can anyone verify this???
    yes, but for how long. After a year the disks are knackered...a few month..no hassle

I told him i aint buying anything unless he gets it taken care of. (Does come with 12 month MOT though)
    ...new mot is good to have
    Gave it a test drive, gears engage properly shifting up and down, handbrake works, brakes although scratchy do work and do so quite well, car pulls nicely, i slapped it in 5th at around 25mph and it pulled without causing grief. 2nd pulled very nicely..got me some nice wheelspin . Alignment was ok, ignition was functioning, spare tire was there, all electrics worked despite my efforts to force an problem, offered 12 month warranty.
    read the warranty book just do you knw whatis covered and how much the limit is. and if you have to tae it back to him. or if you can go somewhere else. Most non franchised dealer warranty companys WONT let you go to a franchise dealer, as they overcharge. warranty, on the whole, is only worth 1/4 what you ever think its worth. Still good to fall back on.
    Cambelt was changed 1000 miles ago. Has the V5 and FSH all matched up. Took the Reg No and VIN to have the history checked and its clear.
    good work....cam belt is good...well done.
    I liked the car, looks good and drives well (in my limited experience anyway) and i WANT IT
    now THATS what we wanna hear...desire...you WANT it. If you like it, buy it

So.....looks like i might gets me a polo, pending the brakes being sorted.
    Sorted...he'll drive it up the road AND STAMP ON THEM

I would

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information