Thread: Screaming Mini.

Thanks

Unhappy Screaming Mini.

Had a test run in the mini today after fitting a variable pitch fan (just to get the water flowing through again). Disaster struck as about 5 miles down the road the engine wouldnt rev down - and my foot was off the accelerator. Taking it into neutral or putting the clutch down saw the engine going into max rev. After an initial look down the engine after pushing it into a layby, the accerlator was working ok, put as soon as you switched it back on and touched it, the engine would max out again.

On the way home, I found that the clutch and 4th gear was causing the engine to max rev. Can anyone point to a cause? The temperature was fine, and water is ok, plenty of fuel, gears changing smoothly, all execpt 4th as above. Would really like to get this sorted asap.

Thanks
    Hey folks, just a bump as I've had lots of views and no news. Had a friend take a look and he thinks the cable to the carb isnt actuating properly - as a consequence its jamming on the sleeving. Possibly due to its age, but it may well have been replaced before.

Can anybody verify this as a common occurance in MKii-iii minis?

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Sorry mate when i had my mini i wasnt interested in anything mechanical at all.

Things may have changed, but ive still got no experience with diagnosing mini problems. But cables can easily jam if old / unlubricated or the cable outer is damaged. It might be an idea to oil up the cables youre mate is talking about and see what happens?

The fault could also lie in the accelerator pedal? Make sure thats lubed up and free too.

Inside the carb there is like a butterfly vavle thing - that could get stuck i think my mate may have had that happen on his mini.

Butuz

Thanks
    • subucni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 X2 4800+
      • Memory:
      • 2gb of generic DDR1 rubbish
      • Storage:
      • Nothing special
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512mb ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Scout
      • Operating System:
      • WinXP 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H + 19" Hanns.G Dual setup
      • Internet:
      • 20mb VirginMedia
    Sounds a lot like what happened when my mate's accelerator cable melted, well the casing around it. when you were taking your foot off the pedal and it was still accelerating was the pedal actually returning to it's normal position or staying down? Because my friends stayed down because the casing melted around it causing the cable to stay where it was and pulling the pedal down, hence revving etc...

Hope that helps

Bres

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Also check that you've got a very good engine earth to body strap; They're infamous for breaking down, thus the accelator cable gets used as an earth wire, causing it to seize.

Thanks
    I've had that happen once (not in a mini though - in a mazda 323). Was driving along normally up a hill, pushed in the clutch to change gear (foot off the accelerator) and the revs just started shooting up to max. Pulled off the road and shut the engine off, started the car again, revs immediately shot up, gave the offending pedal a gentle kick , and they came back down again. Never happened again, but I'd put it down to a cable/lever sticking somewhere...

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply peps - didn't see pit stop before, which is why I probably didnt get many replies heh.

Butuz - the accelerator peddle has been a little loose of late, but has kept its sensitive touch - you only need to really touch it to get the car going you see. The butterfly valve we havent checked - my mate is having a look at the more simple solutions at the present moment - cables.

subucni - the peddle does return to its normal position - I tried raising it up yesturday following the ordeal to see if it was jammed - but no luck...your melting sleaving point is well placed however - the throttle cable goes over the top of the engine block and hits both of the heater water pipes...lots of heat from all of those areas.

Jiff Lemon - the earth strap last time I checked was probably the most secure thing in the entire engine compartment lol. I have recently been working round the battery (stereo installation), and I cleaned the points then to ensure there was good contact.

I'll have more news tonight anyhow - thanks for the help folks. Appreciate it

Thanks
    As Jiff Lemon said, the throttle cable gets hot due to it being the engine earth if the proper cable is missing or loose, that's the engine earth not the battery, if it's the old mini then it's connected to the clutch houseing underneath.
    The only other things are the return spring, and the dashpot sticking.

Thanks
    T'was the butterfly valve in none other than the dash pot/carb. Had it fixed up, so all is well. Having slight difficulty with the peddle now - can go smotthly down for about a 1/4", then its stuck - if you push too hard the throttle does release again - but it pulls away like hell on wheels - pulling out of junctions is a particular highlight.

I think its to do with the spring being too tight - going to look into it tonight.

Thread Information