Thread: 306 immobilser - small fault, big pain!

Thanks

Question 306 immobilser - small fault, big pain!

Hey

Was looking for some advice from you guys, my 306 has had the classic immobilser fault (red and green light on at once on the keypad) intermittently for some time, and recently it has packed up completely. It now will only show the red and green light when the key is turned and there is a funny buzz that comes out of the brown box that is bolted to the computer when you do!

Can anyone tell me what this brown box is? (I'm guessing its the immobiliser computer?) and perhaps why it fails to engage and just buzzes?! Before (when it was working) you would hear a pleasent hum as this unit engaged properly... then just the red light came on and let you type your code.

I have tried everything from disconnecting this brown unit and reconnecting, doing the same with the battery and the plugs behind the headlight (which have no signs of corrosion on the pins). Have even tried resetting the immobliser by disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs in the box under the rear seats!

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the battery is low on juice as is stuttered when starting a week or so ago - although I topped up the battery charge afer this happened (only for an afternoon, mind).

I want to take the battery out, but the clamp is corroded and cant get at it properly till my Dad comes up, even so I am sceptical that replacing the battery will work as the battery charger I was using was reading battery charged when I disconnected it.

This leaves me to believe that the brown unit is dead? Is this easy to replace, if I take it to Peugeot will it cost a lot? or are these interchangeable between cars (being optomistic as I realise that these are probably coded for each vehicle!)

Anyway thanks for taking the time to have a look, any advice would be greatfully received!

My 306 is a 1.6 XS S (1196 P) by the way

Cheers

Smit

Thanks
    ay up smit i ahd probz with my imbolisser as well no just go to a garage or a peugeot dealer and ask themt o order you one or trace the fault

Thread Information