• Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Custom open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro x64 / occasionally Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 48A9

HX series ATX12v cables

More a question come next-generation product suggestion than anything else. This PSU is triffic, but if I have one little criticism, it's the fact that both the four and eight pin ATX12v headers are hard-wired in.

This means that while I can get the remainder of the power wiring hyper neat thanks to the modular system, I'm left with the unused four-pin header ziptied to the main board supply bundle. Hardly a disaster, but I'm a perfectionist...

Was there a specific reason why both of these headers were hard-wired? From a neatness point of view, the ideal would have either been to make them modular as well, or possibly just to have the eight-pin header wired in, with the plug either "splittable" in the way the 24 pin is, or else with an eight to four pin adapter in the accessory bag. Indeed this latter approach might even have reduced the production costs a bit.

Again, not to denigrate a product that performs great as it is, more a suggestion for the future - if it can be done.
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

Thanks
    ya my hiper 580w Type R has ALL modular connections. okay so it died an acrid death - but it shows it can be done, cheaply and neatly.

any comments about why there are ANY hardwired on the psu, let alone duplicated hardwired cables?

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Patriot Viper 3 (x2 8GB, x2 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 240GB M500 | 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1
    PSU to motherboard power connections are the most important in regards for stable power. I guess it is the most safe to have this connection properly preftted.
    Also everyone will need the motherboard connector so why not have it already fitted?

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    theres a little space above the top cd drive, i just tuck it in there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grayg1 View Post
    PSU to motherboard power connections are the most important in regards for stable power. I guess it is the most safe to have this connection properly preftted.
    Also everyone will need the motherboard connector so why not have it already fitted?
    because they can make psu's wthout them prefitted and also because you would only use 1 of the 2 connectors thus rendering the other useless in your case?

just wondering if corsair have any feedback on this?

Thanks
    I don't know the technical specifics of it but, those connectors are hard wired to comply with some aspect of the ATX standards. I don't expect this to change unless the standard changes.

Thanks
    cool, i installed my 520w HX last night and it runs fine, but as above i have a spare cable im going to have to tuck in somewhere!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickg View Post
    ya my hiper 580w Type R has ALL modular connections. okay so it died an acrid death - but it shows it can be done, cheaply and neatly.

any comments about why there are ANY hardwired on the psu, let alone duplicated hardwired cables?
    I also liked the modular connections on the Hiper 580W but it's a very poor PSU, as you've found out. Have you joined the growing Hiper Explosive Club on the overclockers UK forums yet?

I had the Hiper 580W for thirty minutes last year and was happy to return it hastily to Scan for an alternative PSU. I have no particular brand loyalties but in view of my own experience and that of many others the Hiper bling machine, I'd take a lot of convincing before I bought another.

I'm about to fit a Corsair HX620W. I bought it because I've been impressed with the reviews and I rather like the flat cables, hopefully, with an 8 pin PCI-Express cable, if I can get one from the States without having to put my credit card details in an email to Corsair's customer support department

Thread Information