Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HYX620 - Heard small pop when switching on and now nothing happens...

Thanks

HYX620 - Heard small pop when switching on and now nothing happens...

Just went to switch my PC on and heard a small pop sound before nothing happened. Now nothing happens when I try to switch it on.

When I first built the PC, I heard a similar pop noise when messing about with overclocking. The mobo light still glowed and the fans would begin to start up, but would then stop. I wasn't sure whether it was the mobo or PSU at fault, but it turned out to be the mobo.

However, this time I'm not getting any light on the mobo or any fans starting up. Again, I'm not sure if it's the mobo or PSU, although I'm swaying towards the PSU being faulty this time. I was going to perform the test shown in the following thread to see if I get any output from the PSU:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63991

Aside from this test, are there any other tests I can perform without having a PSU tester ?

Does this issue sound PSU related this time ?

EDIT: PSU is HX620 (not HYX620 as per title)
    Last edited by Defenestration; 16-09-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Clarified PSU

Thanks

Re: HYX620 - Heard small pop when switching on and now nothing happens...

I'm trying to perform the test I linked to, but I'm stuck on point (2), where you're supposed to connect a fan to the PSU to load it. Do you need a special type of fan, as my case fans have a small 3-pin male connector, but the Y-adapter fan cable supplied with the HX620 has a larger 4-pin female connector ?

Thanks

I have SATA hard drives and a IDE optical Writer. I'm not willing to risk the hard drives, but I'm guessing it would be fine to use the IDE optical writer to also load the PSU ?

Thanks

I would suggest a fan if you have one. That should provide enough load for this simple test. Do you have any wire handy? You can straight wire it if you have a 3pin to 4 pin adapter.

Thanks

I didn't have an adapter, so just tried it with the IDE optical writer, but nothing happened. I then also tried it with the hard drives connected (as I have a backup and couldn't be bothered messing around).

I purchased it from ebuyer.com in the UK, so will RMA it to them as I had great service the last time I had to return something to them, although that was within 28 days of purchasing it.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestration View Post
    I purchased it from ebuyer.com in the UK, so will RMA it to them as I had great service the last time I had to return something to them, although that was within 28 days of purchasing it.
    They'll still help even after 28 days, for the first year the problems are sorted out with the retailer but even after then you've got the 5 year support of Corsair.

Alpha
    Thanks
    • Nelsaidi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Qe IP45
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640Gb 7200rpm, Seagate 250gb 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DEll Ultrasharp 17"
      • Internet:
      • AOL :(

They help you out for the first year - its also a legal requirement.

If you are sure its the PSU and its under a year old then they will replce it

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    They'll still help even after 28 days, for the first year the problems are sorted out with the retailer but even after then you've got the 5 year support of Corsair.
    the retailer/e-tailer is legally obliged to deal with the faulty product for the full duration of the warranty...

they can reccomend you to go direct to the manufacturer.. but can only reccomend... if you wish to deal with ebuyer then you are legally entitled to..

they may offer refund, repair or replacement, or a partial refund (dependant on how long you have had it, and how much you have gained from it)

(Saracen told me in a megapost [was about SCAN and XFX if you wish to hunt it down])

edit: http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-he...ml#post1476083
    Last edited by TAKTAK; 16-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, it was purchased in June 2007. I've contacted ebuyer.com, so will see what they say.

I've also gone through the new Corsair RMA system, as I was thinking of possibly using that if ebuyer kick up a fuss. However, I've just weighed the PSU (with no packaging) which comes in at about 1950g, and as Royal Mail won't accept small packets to Europe over 2Kg, I'm stuffed as I can't send the PSU without any kind of foam protection (and even with just some brown paper and label, it's likely to be over 2Kg anyway). The Royal Mail postage would have been about £11 for basic airmail. However, to send by courier, the cheapest I can find is about £24.

I have to say that while the 5 year warranty sounds nice in theory, it means absolutely nothing to UK buyers, who end up with a 1 year warranty in practice, unless your willing to fork out £24 every time your PSU goes wrong (just over 1 year in my case). Based on my current situation, and depending how this situation pans out, I will never purchase or recommend any Corsair product ever again. This reality has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

It was stated that the Corsair UK/Europe RMA processing has taken so long to implement due to taking plenty of time to "get it right". It sure doesn't look like they've got it right for UK consumers, with regard to PSU's.

PS. I reserve the right to lighten up if it all ends "happily ever after".

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, it was purchased in June 2007. I've contacted ebuyer.com, so will see what they say.
    Argh unlucky there. I haven't dealt with them with an item over 1 year old. Cheapest delivery I can get is £16. Still quite steep for UK eh. Ah well at least Corsair are trying I suppose better than nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Argh unlucky there. I haven't dealt with them with an item over 1 year old. Cheapest delivery I can get is £16. Still quite steep for UK eh. Ah well at least Corsair are trying I suppose better than nothing.
    Had a reply from ebuyer today and they say as it's over 1 year old I have to contact the manufacturer.

May I ask where you found delivery to Netherlands for £16 ?

NOT Banned
    Thanks

http://www.interparcel.com

I've been using them for years and I sent my Corsair HX520 using them too. I used the values of 5Kg weight, dimensions 30x25x20cm (That was the dimensions of my HX520 box IIRC) to the Netherlands. But since I've already used them alot I got the 5% discount that brings it to £16.74 but without it you'll have to pay £17.62 for 2-5 day delivery to them.

Hope it helps if you're gonna think of sending it.

13. Received thanks from:

Defenestration (17-09-2008)

Thanks

Thanks moogle. I'm going to wait to see if my second message to ebuyer clarifying the situation makes them change their stance. If not, I'll probably bite the bullet and send it via interparcel.

I've learnt my lesson though - buy from Scan, even on the odd occasion they might be slightly more expensive. Always buy products from manufacturers with UK returns addresses, otherwise the warranty is not so impressive. My next PSU will probably be an Enermax

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Thanks moogle. I'm going to wait to see if my second message to ebuyer clarifying the situation makes them change their stance. If not, I'll probably bite the bullet and send it via interparcel.

I've learnt my lesson though - buy from Scan, even on the odd occasion they might be slightly more expensive. Always buy products from manufacturers with UK returns addresses, otherwise the warranty is not so impressive. My next PSU will probably be an Enermax
    No problems. I had the same problem when my 520HX went pop out of warranty. I decided it's not worth the £30 to send to the USA (at the time) and went for another. I had never thought of it as being such a problem.

Enermax are pretty good so I'm sure you'll be happy with that.

Thanks

Sent PSU on Fridy 19th September. Delivered on Tuesday 23rd September (although this was delayed a day because they couldn't find the address at first). The Corsair TSX case # status page has still not been updated and is showing "Defective Parts Received on: Defective Parts Not Yet Received".

PM'd Yellowbeard on Friday 26th September asking for any info, but haven't heard back yet (although he might have taken Friday off).

Corsair mods - Any idea what's happening with my return ?

Thanks

Forget my last post. I've just received a replacement via courier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information