Thread: Project: AquaWave

Thanks

Project: AquaWave

After a good look around towards the end of last year for a black wavemaster, which i could only get from the states and cost about a £100 to ship to the UK, i bought the silver version here in the UK. I wanted something like a black widow but with a twist, i am into motor racing and carbon fibre is used a lot in the wings and body panels etc and i think looks really cool

So the idea of Project AquaWave was born, a carbon fibre clad silver wavemaster, watercooled with uv yellow/green parts were poss. (I will add a list of the suppliers for the carbon fibre etc at the end of this post)

The silver wavemaster was stripped down to its bare chassis.

Then the next step was to clad the front doors and the post bit in carbon fibre (it was easier to clad rather than make out of pure carbon fibre just down to cost as carbon fibre fabric cost about £20 a square meter and to make the post would of needed a lot of layers)

For a detailed guide on how to use carbon fibre i read up on how Mashie used carbon fibre on this Y2K bug project HERE also he has now written a guide on using carbon fibre HERE it is really worth a read, if you take your time you can get some great results, but the wavmaster doors are a bugger to do due to there curved shape, before laying one layer of c/f fabric i sprayed the doors black so no silver would show through which is really worth doing also.

This pic show the doors sprayed black and the completed c/f clad post.

Close up of the post thingy

Completed front of case c/f clad

The next set was to cut a hole in the top of the case for the thermochill 120.2 rad to fit, i had also got a HeatKiller double grill so i used this as the template when cutting with the jigsaw. Btw the rad is positioned to the left of the case on top so to move the barbs away from the motherboard as much as poss.

The holes cut and the rad fitted with two 120mm Vantec Stealth fans between the case and the rad with the grill on top, stainless slotted bolts were cut to size with domed nuts to sandwhich it all together also the top of the case was sprayed black.

The motherboard tray was cut to allow the cpu & n/b waterblocks to be removed without removing the motherboard, which i hope will save time when i am playing with different cpu's, after the hole was cut again it was sprayed black but the covers for the pci slots were left silver.

With all the metal cutting done i put all the bits together and ran the pc with a Coolermaster Aero 7 lite / 1gb ram / Samsung 80gb SATA HD / Duron 1800 just to check every thing was working fine and to install XP, managed to get the duron upto 2.2gb prime stable before the aero 7 ran out of puff (220fsb x 10 @ 1.675vcore) on my other PC i use another Duron 1800 at 2.4gb but thats with a SLK947 cooler.

So first delivery of water cooling gear today, Eheim 1250 pump / DD RBX cpu block / DD Maze 4 GPU block / DD Z chipset block, hopefull i should get the tygon tubing tomorrow and also the aqua tube which i have had modded to 3/8" BSPT

A couple more shots of the case so far -

Suppliers - For the carbon fibre fabric goto CFS Fibreglass and goto there online cat, then to Glassfibre mat & fabrics then goto Carbon Fibre Fabric the current price is £19.50 a square meter plus vat, and i have used so far about 1/2 a square meter, also you will need epoxy resin also from CFS goto West epoxy resins then multi purpose resins, i bought the 600gm Junior pack @ £9.86 plus vat, so not to pricey.

Stainless steel bolting was from Namrick they supply lots of different types of bolting and small quantitys to.

Only thing i can think of on the case to do is the side panels, nicked a window version off my silver widow for the time being, but if any body has any ideas please post them. The wavemaster comes with solid side panels btw.

So thats it so far i hope you find the above interesting, and i will hopefull start on fitting the watercooling gear this weekend

Cheers
    Jonathan500

Thanks
    Looks very nice indeed

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy
    Looks very nice indeed

i'll second that.. i love the colours.. the black vs the bright green wicked combo.

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    Thanks guys, i am hopeing that the UV yellow/green in the water cooling is going to work well, should finish it off nicely, lets hope the tubing turns up tomorrow.

Eccentric Trend setter
    Thanks
    Respect due. I love the look of that case. You've almost convinced me to get a Wavemaster now, lol.

Thanks
    What Res are you getting for that?

Looks great btw.
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Furton
    What Res are you getting for that?

Looks great btw.

Going to be using a Aquatube which i have modded to have 3/8" bsp connections so i can use 1/2" barbs, its going in the bottom of the case but that may change.

Thanks
    Mmmm, well nice!

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    Sweet

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Wow, now that ive seen the potential of a wavemaster, I too am tempted to buy one. That really looks nice.

Thanks
    v. nice - get some UV cathodes in there - STAT!

Thread Information