• Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q 2K WQHD 10Bit
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

Which Quiet Case to Buy?

I'm on a new build and i need (well want) a quiet case. Personally i'm put off by overly utilitarian and aggressive stylings such as the offerings by Cooler Master and Thermaltake so i'm looking for something more discreet and classic.

The Fractal Designs Define R4 is feature packed, well thought out, and sound proofed. Unfortunately the front fascia is plastic - but made to look like brushed aluminium. I hate this, it seems tacky - especially on a £90+ case. However maybe it's plastic because aluminium would rattle too much against the case fans?

My preferred choice at the moment is the Corsair Obsidian Series 550D at £120. This has an aluminium front panel which i find more appealing. But is it worth the extra £30 over the Define R4? Plus, if you use the front USB on the 550D (with a memory stick for example) then opening the door snags your devices. Not that i'll be opening the door often. I mean short of installing Windows when do you need an optical drive these days? Ramble, ramble..

Also, i plan to use a Corsair H100i and to use that with the 550D means popping out the top panel which when removed makes the case look naf as it shows the removable air filter. (I've not bought the cooler yet and was considering the Antec Kuhler H2O 920 with the 120mm by 49mm rad that mounts to the case exhaust slot on the back to prevent the need to remove the top vent on the 550D)

Ideally i'd want an:

All aluminium case, in black, with no front door, sound proofed mid-tower, which will fit the Corsair H100i in the top (even if this means i have to mod the case using a power drill).

It should have no more that three 5 1/4 front slots (ideally one/none).

It would be nice if the case had an integrated USB3 and card reader. But this should be front facing and not on the top (to avoid dust - and a cheap plastic sliding door to cover these is not acceptable)

There is no need for a side window as these most often feature on the left of the case (looking from the front) and my case sits to the left of me and so would be out of view. Plus a window would mean less sound proofing.

I must say that i've been on this subject for a while and despite the myriad of cases out there, and all the hours - no days - researching the topic i still cannot find what i want.

Silverstone and Lian Li have nice looking cases but i can't find any mid tower cases that come sound proofed. Yes, i can sound proof the cases by modding them myself - but that makes for a damn expensive case!

Budget wise i'm looking at between £80 and £130.

If i wasn't a designer by trade i probably would have bought any old case by now (never a mac!)

Any advice would be much appreciated as this has been driving me nuts!

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Re: Which Quiet Case to Buy?

I think asking for all that plus aluminium may be asking too much.
    Aluminium: http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...ium-mid-towers

Have a look at these two:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6442/b...mium-treatment
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6479/n...-it-you-got-it

Thanks
    • Macadee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Haswell 4770K @ 4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Samsung Green @ 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 520 120GB, Samsung 840 250GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Tri-Fire 7990 / 7970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1300-G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-75
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • VM

Need to compromise, card readers are not standard outside of pre-builts but can easily be added in http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1770&subcat=

OcUk offer soundproofing fitted, a couple of examples below:

Single top fan only, so need to mod or use Kuhler instead of H100i, and has top USB.
    Lian Li PC-A55B Standard http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=187&subcat=
    Lian Li PC-A55B Sound Proofed http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=2195&subcat=

Not aluminium but twin top fan.
    Corsair Carbide 300R Standard http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1489&subcat=
    Corsair Carbide 300R Sound Proofed http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=2297&subcat=

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair LED 3200mhz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 21TB WD Red, 960 Evo M.2. SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

Asking for quite a lot? I forgot to mention it should also come with the moon on a stick

Thanks for the suggestions Willzzz. I took a look but neither really appealed to me. But thanks for the Scan link to aluminium towers it gave me a few ideas

It might be best for me to actually just buy a Silverstone or Lian-Li and then pick up some sound proofing.

The Silverstone TJ04B-E is a nice case with lots of positive comments from industry commentators (shame about the weedy feet): http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silve...e-case-w-o-psu

The Silverstone TJ09B is nice too, if not just a bit on the large size, nice(r) feet too: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silve...l-time-classic!

The SilverStone TJ04B is more of a basic case, but i suppose that would leave room for modding, like a media dash, and quality sound proofing (just need to check the size for the GTX 580): http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silve...case-(w-o-psu)

I did consider the Antec P280 but it has the same issue as the Fractal Design Define R4 with the fake metal plastic front facia. Same problem with the NZXT Hush 2 H2.

I've just come across the SilverStone Raven SST-RV02B-W which has a 90 degree motherboard mounting. I've only ever seen one other case that does this so it leaves me wondering why other manufacturers don't do it. Plus it has a window on the right hand side (rather than the usual left) so i would be able to see my components inside the case. I suppose being a bigger case i could have more/larger fans running at a slower RPM, but how quiet that would be in comparison to a no window/ sound proofed design is the question:

SilverStone Raven SST-RV02B-W: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silve...81-fan-w-o-psu

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

It's tricky, I'd like a case similar to what you are after, but there are always compromises.

There are some pretty nice cases out there, but a lot of them just miss the modern conveniences like motherboard cut outs and rubber grommits, or are just too damn big.

The TJ08-E seems almost ideal (for those of us who don't want an H100i), but is supposed to be a nightmare to work with and doesn't have sound proofing.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silve...m-steel-with-u
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4533/s...-a-little-coat

BTW, Anandtech don't reckon the H100i is any better than the H80i.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/c...zxt-compared/6

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

I'm certain we're not the only ones who want a case like this. As you say, there's always a compromise. But to be honest, should there be? It seems like everyone who makes cases works on the business model of price. So we get £20, £50, £100, and £200+ cases. Then manufacturers stuff as much a they can into the case at that specific price point. What a manufacturer should do is actually research what the different styles of case people want, then charge what it costs.

Lian-Li cases are nice, but where are my rubber grommets? Seriously?

As for the H100, to me they're like the invention of the iPad. Corsair bring out the self contained 240mm radiator design and now their competition is following suit. With this in mind case manufacturers will probably start creating designs that take into account a top mounted 240mm radiator (with fans) rather than expecting people to fit it externally.

But that'll be late 2013 at best. Which doesn't help me now.

As for the choice of the H100i, I had settled on the H100 several months ago but decided on the H100i after i heard that the grinding pump issue had been resolved in the newer model. The H80i didn't exist at the time. That said, there are a lot more self contained water cooling options at the moment with more still coming out all the time. So perhaps i should conduct more research before i choose.

As for your suggestion of the TJ08-E, i think that's a mini ATX case, which with added sound proofing, and restricted air flow, would kill any opportunity to overclock my system.

I'm going to keep looking. I'll post back when i find something suitable/adaptable.

Thanks Willzzz

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

The TJ08-E is supposed to have excellent cooling performance, although as you say this may be adversely affected by added sound proofing.

If you are adding very few drives (especially if you can afford to remove the main drive tray) and are prepared to put extra care into assembly and cable tidying you might find that it would cover your needs.

Whichever case you get you are going to make some compromises, so maybe this could be the one you make.
    You can get some pretty fearsome air coolers in there, or a smaller water cooling system. (don't forget the H80i is supposed to outperform the H100i)

Lots of info and pics and temps etc. in this thread:
    http://forums.hexus.net/chassis-mods...one-tj08e.html

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

Right, i've taken a look at the results for the H80i and i agree they are impressive. But, whilst cooling performance is on a par with the H100i what about the sound levels? I'm trying to build a quiet system.

I've put together this chart so i could compare the sound level for the different coolers:

Now, I was already considering replacing the stock fans on the H100i with the Corsair CO-9050006-WW Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm Low Noise High Pressure Fan Dual Pack (£18 at Amazon) And i could quite obviously do the same for the H80i. However being a smaller thicker radiator makes me assume that the fans need to work harder in their push pull config for the H80i that it increases the dB level. Or it could be because it is typically put in place of the exhaust fan that you don't lose if you fit the H100i

Ultimately it comes down to positioning of my computer case. The case will be on my desk and so the sound coming out of the top of the case using the H100i shouldn't be an issue. If the case was on the floor then the sound coming from the top would be more noticeable.

I might just have to flip a coin

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

I'm not keen on the TJ08-E. The problem is with the front and the spacing between the top of the case and the 5 1/4 drive bays. Aesthetically the top of the 5 1/4 bay should have the same height as it does width. Hopefully this pic will make more sense:

Plus, for some reason the designers chose to place the top fan mount off center; which upsets the symmetry:

Silverstone also do the Silverstone TJ04B-E which will afford the H100i but for some reason thy chose to put a plastic HD fan cover on the right hand case cover which kind of cheapens the whole aluminuim /steel appearance IMHO:

Scan sell the Silverstone TJ04B (Non Evolution version) that appears to have no plastic HD cover/cutout on the right panel:

The case came out in 2008 and i cannot find any interior/rear/top/left side pictures of it as it has been superseded by the eveolution

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Wow you don't want much do you?
    ps there's reasons things are often is certain places on cases and it's often nothing to do with aesthetics, it's to do with the 3d jigsaw puzzle of fitting things in.

eg the TJ08-E, that top vent (it's not a fan mount) is off centre because that's where the psu is and by placing it off centre they made a large hidden space behind the psu where you can hid away all the excess psu cables and/or excess cable length.
    On the front bezel the spacing at the bottom has to be wider than the spacing at the side to fit in the 3.5" bay, you may not want it but others do.
    The small spacing at the top is because that's the only way it could be done while bringing in the case at the low height it has without compromising the size on other components.
    PS you'll not want a TJ08-E if you want to use an H100 as there is no place to fit a 240rad without heavy modification

Compromise is a key word here, and before some joker says apple, they compromise with non-standard components and higher costs.

Here's some you might not of seen
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=2177&subcat=
    Only UK source for Anidees cases I know of

Something cheaper how about the BitFenix Shinobi (although space might be tight for an H100) or Raider
    The new BitFenix Ghost would be one to check out, I've seen pictures but not looked at any reviews yet.

Or look around for the old Zalman GS1200 not cheap but good cases and lovely looking http://www.scan.co.uk/products/zalma...de-fan-w-o-psu that's the one with the rather ugly side fan, but you could get them without, problem is finding them as they are now discontinued.

Thread Information