Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom fabricated "Creature" case.

Thanks

Custom fabricated "Creature" case.

Hello everyone, I'll get right into speaking to you about this mod, The frame demensions are: 22" high X 10" wide X 18' deep, and made of 1"x 1" aluminium angle (very light-weight), and painted bright red polyurethane enamel. My plan in the very begining was to build something original, something custom from the ground up...

This is how the frame looked when I started, not much to look at.... as time went on, and many trial pieces added.... the case is truely unique by a long shot. As an artist since birth, creating something odd, but pleasing to look at was not ever thought to be a problem of any sort for me. Drawing bizaare creatures most of my young life, only proved to be more of a challenge to frabricate something just as awsome from a new material. Aluminium, this was to be the product to create something out of...

Here is one of my favorite airbrush paintings I created many years ago, (2) panels, 18" X 24" ea., as you'll see the resemblance in "Creature" case...

Let the show begin: This is the side view, without the finished door panel. It's the explaination of the Hard-drive tray.

The rear of the case will be finished in perforated metal (painted black), area's will be cut-out where needed (PSU, rear-fan, plugs), and where not... will be closed in with solid shaped aluminium of different colour.

The side panels (doors), to this case are that very unique as well... they are suicide doors, doors that open at the front and hinge at the back. Those who are into custom auto's know what I'm talking about. Painted inside with Jet Black polyurethane, outside... base painted black, then airbrushed in multiple degrees of greens, yellows, red and pearls.

The most unique part of this whole case is the all custom frabricated (mostly by hand), front door to this odd rig. This door took at least 3 months to complete... the front skin was banged out with a hammer, as the old day tin-smith would have done... it needed texture and something of a challenge to get sized when all bent and fabricated as one big front door, 3 sections of... inner frame, middle perforated sheet, and outer skin, all hidding where the goods of this beast will be.

Here is yet a closer look at the airbrushing I did on the left panel door skin, like giant pests of a Creature, these bug like fellows hang-on and fester at the Creatures flesh exposing the case innerards.

Now with the suicide doors in place, here's what it looks like when they are opened up... the doors stay closed via magnetic strips.

The interior of this case, in it's own rights are odd too... in this lower photo and to the left, the wavey piece going from the bottom to the top, this is the motherboard tray. It will support the board and also support cables on the backside. On the far right, and near the bottom... the hard-drive tray X2, above all that is the cage lookin drivebay which will hold the cd\dvd-burner, fan controller and switches...

Just below all that on the outside (inside the big door), are (2) 120mm fans which will suck in fresh air, when the door is closed, air is sucked through Creatures oversized mouth.

Another area where interest is to be payed is the case top, just under here is also another 120mm exhaust fan (blowhole), it will be controlled from the controller, only going on when really needed. In this very area I am working on building a handle for easier lifting of this huge monsterous case.

At the very bottom of the case, it dorns the true name of this beast... the font used id called tribal.ttf, it was the most fitting for this artwork in progress...

There is still loads of work to be done on this case, other than the obvious that there's no guts to it, but wire looms for LED's, and wire channels to hide wires of course. This case has taken over a year to build, not always fun by any means, some parts fit and other don't, so some areas took stronger concerntrating to finish...but all in all this case is unique, and now nearing it's complition has been a slice of pie to design and build.
    Last edited by Leecho; 19-04-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not a big fan of the actual look of the case as its not to my taste. BUT there's a lot of good work going into it and some awesome fab and airbrush skills. Good work
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Banned
    Thanks
    agreed very creative, i bet in the right place it would very cool indeed

Thanks
    Very nice, lot of work gone into that .

I like your motherboard tray, nice idea.

I imagine it might be difficult to get the computer parts without bscuring some of the detail.
    Last edited by turkster; 20-04-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Nice one mate. Keep us all posted.

Thanks

Update: The Backbone.

Okay... after a whole week of waiting, after submitting my creative drawn ideas, my welder and personal friend... Sean, the fabricator... dropped off this sick lookin handle for the top of the case. Here's a couple photo's as it looked off the case, unpainted, and awesome.

The basket portion of this unit fits into the embossed area of the case top, it drops in by about 1/2 an inch, will be siliconed, and (4) 1/4 inch bolts will mounted in place. It's where the 120mm blowhole fan sits just underneath the perforations.

Here's how it looks on the case top, "wow it's sick" was my first thought when I first saw it from affar. After waiting one week for it to be fabricated...

As you can see it will function as the case handle, as well as an art piece by it's own rights... Next week it goes back in for painting. The lower basket (outside part) goes Jet black to make it blend in with the case. Then it's internal part will go red and lastly for the base coating... the bones will go off-white-or ivory/bonewhite. Maybe it will be airbrushed, maybe not... what-ever!!!

So what do you think so far?
    Last edited by Leecho; 23-04-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Looks really good, but not my style, good job though, I like seeing people doing these crazy mods.

Thanks
    Yeah that handle is pretty damn nice .

Thanks
    wow awesome! how unique is that!! careful it doesnt scare your guests away though !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Great handle, not sure about the front of the case now. Hope you don't mind me saying but it kinda makes it look tacky! A bit fairground like. Sorry.

Thanks

Tacky you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Koolpc
    Great handle, not sure about the front of the case now. Hope you don't mind me saying but it kinda makes it look tacky! A bit fairground like. Sorry.
    Hi Koolpc, Glad you approve of the handle... what do you think I should do about the door face, is it that you think the backbone is too much, or because the face is too cartoony? I hadn't planned on the face to be so lamo, but that's how it turned out... because i have still so much too do before this case is ready for the guts (hard-drives, burner, mainboard, fans, etc...), I haven't had time to notice the face being not so bad @ss. Idea's would be appriciated, the door is fixed permanent and the internal sections will not come appart...so anything would have to be cosmetic. What if I add a scar dripping blood? Or blood on the teeth?

Banned
    Thanks
    Hey, it is just my opinion. It does not mean it is bad, just my view mate. You have done an ace job so far. I am not good enough to tell you what to do, just thought i would pass on what i thought about the front. It does spoil it to me. Not sure what else to say. Don't know if anyone will agree with me about the face but everyone has an opinion.

Thanks

Basket painted Today... 4/24/06

Hey everyone... I did get the basket painted red inside, then while spraying the black on the outside walls, I sprayed a little inside to dirty it up. This gives the red an aged effect, the clean red was far too much contrast on the black. The whole thing was baked for 45 minutes at 140 degrees ferinhite, then allowed to cool slowly. The paint is now hard and ready for masking. In case anyone might ask... The paint being used is automotive grade polyurethane enamel, and added to the paint is SuperTop, an agent to cure the paint from the inside - out. Thus it creates a harder finish when baked, and is ready to touch within a few hours there-after...

I will paint the bone-white tomorrow... and apply loads of semi-gloss clearcoat on top for protection. Then this piece will be ready to be siliconed in place with outdoor/indoor black and lastly bolted to the plastic/metal grid of the case top. The lighter colour up there should bring out the teeth of the face, and vice-versa. So far all is working to plan and this unit of the case should be finished before the end of this week.
    Last edited by Leecho; 24-04-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolpc
    Hey, it is just my opinion. It does not mean it is bad, just my view mate. You have done an ace job so far. I am not good enough to tell you what to do, just thought i would pass on what i thought about the front. It does spoil it to me. Not sure what else to say. Don't know if anyone will agree with me about the face but everyone has an opinion.
    Yes I understand you and everyone is entitled to an opinion, I am just one person building this case, and like you and others submit photo's and story here for all to see and hopefully add comment and critiscism... plus hopefully, not make enemies... we're all here for the love of modding and to help eachother better our projects with help where we can, because I'm a professional spraypainter for some 23 yrs. I may help you, or others gain more knowledge how to prepare or spray your cases or there-of. I assumed because you have so many posts, that you might be of greater computer knowledge...

I would gladly listen to yours, or anyones advice. I would love my case to not look cartoony, so I ask for your help... maybe there's something I over-looked in the design and would appriciate people telling me so I can better this project. I am an artist as well a painter, I can and love to fabricate what I can, but I have had many people thus far help me manufacture my idea's for the beauty of this project. I am not a welder, so many have helped me there. Some of my pieces have been machine-cut for me, hence my drawings. I know art and painting really good... I know I'm gonna have troubles putting the guts into place and hoping the computer will run once everything is in place... I almost over-looked one really important aspect of building this project, someone reminded me... The push-start button. I would have built the whole case and remembered not there...

Thanks
    I'm stairing at the door face and I think I'm gonna do a quick upgade and put blood on his teeth, this upgrade should spook it out more, any other idea's ??

Thanks
    Just looking at it there and I occured to me that it maybe the bright red of the grill behind the face that is causing the problem. Too much contrast maybe? The face itself looks fine but maybe if the grill was a darker red it might look better. I dunno thats just a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information