Thread: PS3 newbie need help

Thanks

PS3 newbie need help

i am planning ob buying a PS3 this year but im "afraid" to do so. how do you normally connect the PS3 online in order to update the software and download some patches, game updates, software updates, etc. is it just like connecting it to an ordinary BT socket? what things do i need? and also my PS3 cabinet is far from the BT socket. would there be an extension cable or something?

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    The PS3 uses Wireless networking to connect to the Internet, or a normal ethernet cable. If you provide some more details on how your PC connects to the Interent at home, one could probably help. I would think though it might mean the purchase of a wireless router.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
    i am planning ob buying a PS3 this year but im "afraid" to do so. how do you normally connect the PS3 online in order to update the software and download some patches, game updates, software updates, etc. is it just like connecting it to an ordinary BT socket? what things do i need? and also my PS3 cabinet is far from the BT socket. would there be an extension cable or something?
    I have tried my PS3 with both Wireless and also using homeplugs. Wiresless for me was "ok'ish" but as i live in a older house "thicker walls" etc i found that my signal quality was around 65-70% which was ok, but in the end homeplugs gave me nice solid connection, and really easy to use. Depending on how far you ps3 will be from your router/networking equipment then http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3157 may well be your friend

edit: Also don't be afraid to connect -as long as you have a decent router you will have a good level of built in protection from that
    Last edited by Barrichello; 01-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    it would seem that:
    1. i would have to buy a router
    2. i need to buy a long ethernet cable as my PC (and BT socket) is far from where i will put my PS3

but am i right in saying can you connect yout PS3 via an Ethernet cable (coming out ) from your PC? would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    it would seem that:
    1. i would have to buy a router
    2. i need to buy a long ethernet cable as my PC (and BT socket) is far from where i will put my PS3

but am i right in saying can you connect yout PS3 via an Ethernet cable (coming out ) from your PC? would that be a correct assumption?
    1. Yep - buy a cheap router, can buy a good one for around £40 - how do you currently connect to the internet? If its just via a old BT modem for your Pc for example then a router with a switch would be the way forward. You can not just plug in a modem to a ps3 (if thats what you currently use)

2.You do not really need to use a extra long ethernet cable - get some homeplugs instead as i mentioned before, plug a ethernet cable from ps3 into 1 homeplug in one room - and then cable up the other homeplug to your router and away you go. Beats stretching a ethernet cable from room to room

Thanks
    i connect to the internet directly to my BT socket (my PC is near the actual physical socket but where the PS3 will sit is i would say a few feet away.) and i use an ethernet modem from TalkTalk. and may i ask..what is a homeplug? what is it's purpose or use?

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Might as well get a wireless router, then you dont have to move your PS3.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    i connect to the internet directly to my BT socket (my PC is near the actual physical socket but where the PS3 will sit is i would say a few feet away.) and i use an ethernet modem from TalkTalk. and may i ask..what is a homeplug? what is it's purpose or use?
    Ok makes sense - you just have a modem. Well you will need some time of router to divide that signal you are getting so both pc and ps3 share it. If you say that the PS3 is only a few feet away then just used a wired ethernet cable a few feet in length then - no bother, i thought you meant different rooms etc. Also wireless will be fine for you if its in same room, no thick walls inbetween

Homeplugs are great and so little is known about them in this country. Basically they route data traffic over the existing power supply in your house. For example - router downstairs - put one home plug in down there - then lets say you have a office upstairs - you just plug the other homeplug in power socket up there with cable going to either PS3/PC whatever - is easy neat and affective. In your case though you would not need these. Just get a wireless router i would say is best.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
    Ok makes sense - you just have a modem. Well you will need some time of router to divide that signal you are getting so both pc and ps3 share it. If you say that the PS3 is only a few feet away then just used a wired ethernet cable a few feet in length then - no bother, i thought you meant different rooms etc. Also wireless will be fine for you if its in same room, no thick walls inbetween

Homeplugs are great and so little is known about them in this country. Basically they route data traffic over the existing power supply in your house. For example - router downstairs - put one home plug in down there - then lets say you have a office upstairs - you just plug the other homeplug in power socket up there with cable going to either PS3/PC whatever - is easy neat and affective. In your case though you would not need these. Just get a wireless router i would say is best.
    i live in a ground floor studio flat. where the PS3 will sit and the BT socket is in the same room but a few feet away. im thinking of the wired route instead of the wireless one as im not familiar with the tech stuff.

Thread Information