Thread: PS3 Won't Read Discs - Any Advice?

Thanks

Unhappy PS3 Won't Read Discs - Any Advice?

I'm having problems similar as Mr Fibbles had back in November, where his PS3 wouldn't show any discs on the XMB. Now, this seems to be a common problem across the internet, but I'm not sure if it's software or hardware related, as I think I installed a firmware update on Thursday. I'm guessing it's just a coincidence, and the blu-ray player has just decided to break though.

Assuming no one knows of a magic fix (I've not found anyone who does yet), that means I'm going to need a replacement.

Apparently, it costs $150 to get it sorted by Sony, but then I found this continuous play thing. Does anyone know anything about this? For £5 a month, I can get a replacement within a few days, whereas if I was to use Sony it would be about $150 and a couple of weeks?

Also, since getting my PS3, I've brought a bigger hard drive for it. I assume that I can just take my current HDD out and put it into a new PS3 and it will work exactly the same with all my game saves and everything (assuming the original problem isn't software related)?

I was hoping to be watching Pineapple Express on blu-ray this time tomorrow too .
    Last edited by ajbrun; 16-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: PS3 Won't Read Discs - Any Advice?

Do you get an error code with 8's and lots of 0's? I have this one back in Feb but mine was in warranty so they replaced it for free. Has recently happened to a mate of mine and he just bought continuous play and called it in a few days later. They sorted it out for the fiver and he stopped the continuous play

Yes, it does seem to be a Hardware probelm but sony wants to deny it...
    The bigger HDD will fit into the new console but incase you bought anything from PSN, make sure you deactivate your account for "Account management" so that the download is available on the new PS3.

Thanks

Nah - no error codes. It just won't tell me there's a disc in where I know there is.

I'm going to try reformatting the HDD. Don't think it'll do anything, but it's probably worth a try. I've backed up the system, so I guess my data should be safe after restoring it.

Thanks

I've just been reading up on the sale of goods act. Shouldn't Sony replace my PS3 free of charge, even though it's out of warranty (roughly 13 months after purchase)?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html
    For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).
    Also, if the case is that I should get a replacement according to the above, then I guess I should be contacting play.com rather than Sony?

Thanks

Have you even contacted Sony? From your first post you just say "apparently" and give a figure in Dollars. Your first point of call should be Sony and have a chat with them. If they refuse, or can't do anything, then you call Play.com and see what they have to say.

Flibble Ye Not
    Thanks

It sounds exactly the same as my old PS3, call Sony they may offer to exchange it for free. I've signed up for Continuous Play as a monthly thing but there's nothing stopping you from signing up and claiming.

Thanks

To be honest, I've not heard good things about Sonys returns process. I'd rather pay £5 and have a new one within a week than pay potentially nothing and have to wait a few weeks.

I'll see what happens, but after formatting the hard drive, I think it's defiantly a hardware issue so there's not much more I can do to fix it myself.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have heard that you can actually call in continuous play then cancel it lol.
    My friend said you buy it and supposedly you get a 1-2 day grace period in which you can call it off and are not charged. Buy it then claim it back and supposedly, you can cancel without paying.
    Not sure if thats an honest thing but if they dont want to claim the responsibility, they can pay

Only other choice is to buy a new BR drive for the PS3 and fit it in yourself - they set you back about 45-70 quid. The fiver for continuous play is much better IMO.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Sounds like the Blu-Ray drive has died. Yes it is a common problem with them. Your first port of call should be Sony and see what they say.

Have you kept the original hard drive which you replaced? If you have to send it back then you will need to put the old one back in. As for swapping them back out again when you get your replacement, I think the firmware is machine specific/coded somehow and it won't work. Can always try though but it would be worth your while backing up your PS3 to an external drive so you can restore when you get a replacement.

There are guides about getting the replacement parts for your Blu-Ray, so you could do it yourself if Sony decide to be very difficult.

Registered+
    Thanks

PSN games downloaded are machine specific so deactivate your account PRIOR to sending off your PS3 to make sure you keep your download slot open for a new console. Anything else such as music, video etc. that is not under DRM will work on the new console however.

Thanks

This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a link to tell me how to go about the returns process with Sony? The link must be very hidden away on their site (obviously it's not needed very often ), and google just tells me peoples experiences with their customer service etc.

EDIT - wait, nevermind. I was looking on the playstation site, not the sony one. It's getting late...

Thanks

My first PS3 stopped reading discs, but it was within warranty thank god! The Sony PS3 care number is 0870 5998877 - you can report the fault and arrange replacement.

Thanks

Called them last night. Gave them all the information. They wanted my receipt which I apparently have to fax in - email won't do...

I used some online server to fax it as I don't have access to a fax machine. If I don't hear from them in the next few days, then I'll try the continuous play route. Might be less hassle anyway.

Thread Information