Thread: My HTPC Plan...and a few questions!

Thanks

My HTPC Plan...and a few questions!

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here since I was planning my last upgrade (which was 11 months ago), but I've got the bug again and I'm thinking about joining the HDTV revolution with an HTPC.

I obviously want to record freeview, and I'm planning for it to cope with HDTV (Bluray, HD-DVD or Freeview HD) for the future, and be a jukebox for MP3 etc. Oh, and I want it as quiet as a particularly shy mouse.

Here's my initial spec.

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHz) OEM
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    Case - Antec Fusion 430 (Formerly Fusion V2)
    RAM - 2GB PC6400 DDR2
    HDD - Samsung 320GB
    Drive - Cheap DVDRW (can always upgrade to Bluray later)
    Tuner - Hauppage WinTV Nova-TD 500 Dual DVBT
    HSF - Scythe Mini Ninja

Also keyboard/mouse and wireless USB dongle. Already have a copy of Vista Premium I'm planning to use for MCE.

All that comes to about £375 if I shop around. I haven't got a figure for my budget but I basically want it as cheap as possible but still be able to cope with HD!

Now, some questions if anyone knows the answers:

1. I've seen some stuff on the web that suggests the CPU is powerful enough for Bluray etc, and that the mobo (with the integrated ATI Radeon™ X1250) should be OK to do hardware processing for HD signals.....but will it really? Would I need a more powerful CPU/mobo combo or even a dedicated graphics card?

2. The mobo does have HDMI out to connect to my HD Ready 32" LCD. Will the system automatically upscale my existing DVDs for better quality?

3. Any suggestions for cases? I'd really like the Fusion for the looks and the integrated VFD/IR receiver, but I realise it's over £100!!

Thanks

Thanks

Re: My HTPC Plan...and a few questions!

1. It should be powerful enough. Even if it isn't when you upgrade just grab a dedicated gfx card. some of the new ATi 2400's come with HDMI out and decode very rapidly.

2. I would not rely on your system upscaling. If your TV is from a good brand then it will do the upscaling for you. The fewer changes in resoultion the better as far as picture quality goes.

3. Fusion is great but Antec do a case without the VFD and IR. It is the 2400 and is also a very nice case.
    Not around too often!

3. Received thanks from:

fishboy25uk (31-10-2007)

Thanks

Yeah, I've seen the other Antec one (I think it's the NSK 2480). It's basically the same as the Fusion apart from a 380W PSU rather than the 430W one, and the VFD. I think the VFD they use in the Fusion is just the iMon VFD you can get various places, so I guess I can put it in later if I miss it...and I save £50 now.

I was also thinking about getting a Topfield PVR rather than building a HTPC, because I'd save myself £100 again and get much of the same functionality. Only drawback is, I can easily upgrade an HTPC whereas I'd need a new box for HD, and a separate DVD/Bluray player.

Thanks

I had a topfield for a couple of years and it was a brilliant machine. Also allowed extra software to be installed so you could change its functionality somewhat.

After a while though i wanted something the could do more i.e. burn dvds, store music etc so i built a HTPC. It can be fiddly but it is definately worth it.

I sold my topfield for £250, and built a basic HTPC for less that £100 with some spare parts. It doesnt have to be that powerfull, i've just using an old p4 3.0ghz with 2mb ram and a basic mobo that came with my case.

runs two freeview tuners and all my music and dvds etc without a problem.

I may have to update when hd media is more popular/cheaper but for now its fine.

Go for it!

Thread Information