Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surround sound for PS3

Thanks

Re: Surround sound for PS3

sorry those were a 1000watts rms, guaranteed sound satisfaction!

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythecat View Post
    As he said you only need two HDMI cables if you intend on actually using the samsung DVD player to watch dvds. If you are only using the PS3 one HDMI cable will suffice.
    He didn't say that : Or if he did, I can't see where. Hmm oh well I bought both an HDMI and an optical now so it doesn't matter.

The only other thing I want to know now is:

I have my PC connected to the TV via HDMI, in the same way the PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI. Does this mean I can use the sound system to play the sound from the PC? I assume it would work the same way - PC to tv via hdmi, then from tv to surround sound via optical. I'm a bit confused as to how it's going to work really, because surely the sound won't come from the surround sounds speakers unless the system is actually being used, i.e by a DVD or whatever. Having said that I know I must be wrong or you (Dave) wouldn't have suggested it : I'm going to read the manual tonight so we'll see!

Finally, I'm in trouble because of it...I didn't ask my girlfriend first (or well I told her I'd get a surround system, but not which one), then it arrives and she hates how it looks. She's annoyed that I bought what she thinks is an ugly one :! I'm sure it'll be OK!

*edit* Nevermind about the PC thing, I realised it obviously won't work since the HDMI cable goes from the graphics card to the PC with nothing going from the sound card 8-)
    Last edited by htid; 01-02-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by dave87 View Post
    The HTZ310 is a Home Cinema set. Yes, it is basically a glorified DVD player, but it has all the bits you'd need to get 5.1 audio from your PS3 without breaking the bank and with minimal headaches in setting it up. Also, for those evenings where you just want to watch a DVD, then it saves having the noise of the PS3 whilst you are doing so.

That is to give you an idea how to wire it up.

Basically the audio from the PS3 runs to the TV over HDMI, which then passes it to the HTZ310 over the optical link. HDMI and Optical are both capable of carrying 5.1 encoded audio, so no problems there.

Optical is capable of transporting 5.1, but not all the standards HDMI can. I thought about the setup suggested above, but there is one clear problem for me with my Samsung TV (similar setup) and that is that the TV is only capable of 2 channel output from the optical connector. It is actually just like those freeview boxes with an optical, just because it is optical doesn't mean it is 5.1+.

I would seriously double check the manual before assuming the above is the solution. My mate has to swap his Samsung (maybe a HTZ310) surround sound systems optical cable around all time between his PS3 and 360 for exactly the same reason with his Samsung TV.

I have a £25 ebay special Yamaha TSS-10 that has two opticals and a 2 channel phono in. I use that without any bother with my PS3. Also the combined DVD/hometheatre systems are not immediately easy to use.

p.s. I would reccomend either the ebay special (Yamaha TSS or Sony HT series) or putting together a cheap seperates system from Richersounds:
    Like http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...AMA-NSP110-BLK + http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...id=YAMA-RXV361
    Last edited by Gunbuster; 03-02-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbuster View Post
    Optical is capable of transporting 5.1, but not all the standards HDMI can. I thought about the setup suggested above, but there is one clear problem for me with my Samsung TV (similar setup) and that is that the TV is only capable of 2 channel output from the optical connector. It is actually just like those freeview boxes with an optical, just because it is optical doesn't mean it is 5.1+.

I would seriously double check the manual before assuming the above is the solution. My mate has to swap his Samsung (maybe a HTZ310) surround sound systems optical cable around all time between his PS3 and 360 for exactly the same reason with his Samsung TV.

I have a £25 ebay special Yamaha TSS-10 that has two opticals and a 2 channel phono in. I use that without any bother with my PS3. Also the combined DVD/hometheatre systems are not immediately easy to use.

p.s. I would reccomend either the ebay special (Yamaha TSS or Sony HT series) or putting together a cheap seperates system from Richersounds:
    Like http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...AMA-NSP110-BLK + http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...id=YAMA-RXV361
    Thanks for the info, but I've already bought the Samsung system and it works great

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by htid View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I've already bought the Samsung system and it works great
    Cool, was just worried. Glad it worked out ok

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information