Thread: Tripod advice - 4 section/adjustable column a bad thing?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Tripod advice - 4 section/adjustable column a bad thing?

Other than the usual false economy warnings and buying the best you can afford type thing, I have a specific question on 4 section vs 3 section tripods, and fixed vs adjustable columns.

I've decided on a CF tripod because lightness and vibration dampening are important factors for me. My question is would I be compromising a lot of steadyness by going for a 4 section tripod over a 3 section? It costs a bit of weight, but saves at least 10cm on the folded size which is very handy.

Same kind of question for an adjustable central column - can this affect stability?

Cheers,

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Tripod advice - 4 section/adjustable column a bad thing?

There is a difference in stability with a 3 and 4 section tripod, but if it's a good-quality tripod it will be fairly negligible. I've got several CF tripods - two with and one without a centre column - and both of my four-sections are very sturdy. The lower section of the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 is quite thin, but I'm yet to encounter stability issues with it - I did get some spiked feet to replace the rubber feet though. First of all, you'll probably lose the standard feet if you shoot outdoors in anything but perfect weather and, second, I find it helps the tripod feel more 'planted' on uneven ground if that makes sense. I've got spiked feet on all of the tripods I own.

An adjustable centre column won't affect stability as long as you leave it down - the moment you raise it, you've effectively got a three-legged monopod. You're unlikely to suffer problems if you're extending the centre column in calm conditions (or in the studio, where I'd definitely recommend having a centre column), but if you like shooting on hilltops or in windy conditions, don't expect to get shake-free pictures with it extended more than a couple of inches.

Hope this helps!

3. Received thanks from:

kalniel (23-04-2011)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Thanks Tim. I actually meant an adjustable angle centre column, rather than just height adjustable. I don't really need it, but I couldn't get the four section tripod in CF without also getting an adjustable angle centre column. It actually looks just like a normal column until you extend it fully and a bit, then you have the option to run at a different angle to vertical - which obviously has stability consequences in that mode, but looks like it won't when used normally.

So I'm happy with that, the mechanism just adds some unnecessary weight.

Went for a Giottos 8350B (5kg load) in the end, plus a ball head (10kg rated). In at least one review it scored better than the manfrotto equivalent (http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/imag...50b-review.jpg). The combo doesn't feel particularly light in hand however - I measured 2.1kg on the bathroom scales which is basically heavier than my camera + lens (heaviest combination comes to about 1kg max). It has a ballast hook which I might need in windy conditions!

Registered+
    Thanks

Ah right, an angled centre column will alter the centre of gravity, but if your heaviest combo is about 1kg, I can't see stability being a huge problem. It's not that light though as you say, but that's horses for courses - my main tripod, a Gitzo GT3541XLS (which I use for landscape photography), weighs about 1.9kg without a head attached.

I've got a few different heads ranging from about 600g to 1.3kg, so it can weigh anywhere from 2.5kg to 3.2kg. It does extend to 1.98 metres without a centre column though and for me that's worth the additional carrying weight in gold.

For studio work and travelling abroad, I've got a 055CXPRO3 and 190CXPRO4. Both are good tripods, but it looks like the Giottos is worth a closer look as a compact traveller tripod - I don't have much of a problem with the 190CXPRO4, but if the Giottos 8350B is much sturdier, I'm definitely listening up.

Thread Information