Thread: The Action Movie

Who What Where
    Thanks

The Action Movie

Thought i'd pop in and post this rant I had

Action films arn't what they used to be. This is expected though, as times go on, as will the films! But in my opinion, action films have gone dramatically downhill since the likes of Die Hard, Aliens and Arnie's back catalogue.

John McClane, a real action hero! 1 man, trapped in a tower with only his guns and his wits to defeat a group of terrorists. This is the kind of action which I love!

The type when the "good guys" are trapped or isolated and have to make as good use of their situation as possible. See: Die Hard (Plaza), Aliens (Colony), Predator (Jungle).

Or then there are the kind when the protaganist uses guns, lots of guns, to get what he wants. Films such as Rambo or Commando. These films showcase what an action movie should be about! They are just pumped full of 18 rated adreneline and are just full of kick arse gun fights and high kill counts.

For me, modern action films have lost the sense of testosterone that the 80s films have. Modern action films are often being given a "12" rating, and you have to ask yourself: "how can this compare to those action films of old?."

Somebody said to me, that martial arts was the blame for the lack of gun fights in new age action films. I kind of agree, no matter how much I enjoy a good kung fu fight, they don't make me smile as much as the actions of a certain cop in Die Hard.

Now, I know there have been some outstanding action films in the past 10 years. Speed and The Matrix are prime examples of such a title. They both have a sense of fun and adrenaline which I desire from my action films. S.W.A.T was a recent film which actually suprised me by...well...lets just say I thought it was pretty darn fun! However, if people were to list their top 10 action films...I wonder how many of them would be from the last 10 years.

Is it kind of ironic that, parodies of the genre deliver more of what I expect than the genre itself? Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Duex certainly suggest so!

What I want to know, is when is a director going to come and revitalise the action genre? True action, but this "action adventure" which is fine, but it is a completely separate genre. The Rock looks like he could change things, and I put my faith in him to put a boost in the action scene, and I hope he does it well!

*I have made quite a few points, and I haven't really justified them very well so for that I apoligise. I am just going on a bit of a rant!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    I agree that the action films since the 80's have gone way downhill, but its all about selling tickets and a 12 rated flick is always gonna get more of the cinema slaes wether its any good or not unfortunatly, you've gotta be brave to make an 18 in this decade, cabin fever and kill bill are 2 of the most recent i can think of now.

There are still some great all out action flicks though, the transporter, bad boys (very close to the old action style imo as its got that element of comedy that was always present) a man apart, and the blade series (although they're arguably horror/sc-fi so were alot of 80's movies)

Old ott action movies just aren't the popular genre, in the 80's we had them, in the 90's we had teen slasher movies, and recently we have the teen american pie style comedy, i think they will come back around but imo the rock nor vin diesel have the presence on screen that arnie or stallone etc. had, the rock seems to concentrate on the soft action aspect although i havn't seen his latest outing and vin diesel seems to spread himself around roles more as he doesn't want to be painted with the action hero brush.

Thanks
    I haven't seen a good film for years now

shocking tbh

Thanks
    Hmm two minds about this because a lot of what is coming out of Hollywood is naff. But there is some great stuff coming out.

I've just seen the Rocks new flick 'Walking Tall' and it deffinatly comes under the classic 80's style of action film with the Rock walking around with a bit of two by four and Jonny Knoxville is utter class in it, it's not going to win any oscars but it is just a fun film to watch, deffinatly one to buy for me. I know a lot of people are going to say it's naff but I still think its a good laugh.

For me the main problem is the actors themselves, they just dont have that same 'it' factor on the screen as a lot of actors in the 80's but there are a few...

I'm a big fan of the Jet Lee but I like the films like Kiss of the Dragon more than some of his other more recent stuff.
    The Transporter with Jason Statham (Take note the Transporter 2 is in pre-production) is great and has become one of all time favorites to watch. And it looks like he's sticking to the action hero stuff which is great.
    Keep an eye on Vin Deisel as well I think he has that 'Hard as nails' look and will probably go far.
    Also Hugh Jackman although almost too close to Sci-Fi the X-Men 3 is being done.
    Another of my favorite film stars is Chow Yun Fat I think he is just great because he has that on screen presance that grabs your attention for the whole film trouble is he hasn't really had the classic roles he had when he was working in Hong Kong.
    Heath Ledger was good in A Knights tale and was okish in Sin Eater.
    Christian Bale is going to be the New Batman in Batman Begins, he has the abillity to do action and you saw that in Reign of Fire and Equilibrium both of which where ok but just lacking in a few areas - Batman Begins btw is looking like it might not be a turkey this time the cast is very impressive:

Credited cast:
    Liam Neeson .... Henri Ducard
    Michael Caine .... Alfred Pennyworth
    Katie Holmes .... Rachel Dodson
    Cillian Murphy .... Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow
    Gary Oldman .... Lieutenant James Gordon
    Ken Watanabe .... Ra's Al Ghul
    Tom Wilkinson .... Carmine Falcone
    Morgan Freeman .... Lucius Fox
    Rutger Hauer .... Mr. Earle
    Sara Stewart .... Martha Wayne
    Richard Brake .... Joe Chill
    Linus Roache .... Dr. Thomas Wayne
    Colin McFarlane .... Commissioner Loeb
    Jonathan D. Ellis .... Courthouse Reporter
    rest of cast listed alphabetically
    Dean Alexandrou .... Shadow Warrior
    Joey Ansah .... Shadow Warrior
    Christian Bale .... Bruce Wayne/Batman
    Alexandra Bastedo .... Mrs. Delane
    (Cillian Murphy was the bloke out of 28 days)

Youve got another Mission Impossible film on the horzion.

Steven Spielberg whether you hate him or love him is doing a few flicks (not quiet action) in the future mainly War of the Worlds, and Peter Straubs (& Stephen King) The Talisman.

John Woo as well given a little more freedom and a little less hassle from big name actors can produce some class stuff he's making two films that might be little gems:
    Spy Hunter
    Cast:The Rock
    Plot Outline: An ex-fighter pilot rids the world of spies, assassins, and other vermin with his souped-up Interceptor car.
    Rainbow Six
    Plot Outline: CIA agent John Clark pacts with other operatives to leave the agency in order to create a UK-based group dedicated to battling terrorism

Mr Woo seems to be heading for computer game madness because there are rumours flying about Metriod Prime and the fact he's got the movie rights.

Quentin Tarantino is doing a war film : Inglorious Bastards....

Also coming out is Be Cool whitch is the squal to get shorty(And has the Rock in!)

Bryan Singer of X-Men fame is also doing a classic Logan's Run which if it's anywhere as good as the original it will be great....otherwise.

Peter Jackson has probably got his own ticket for films after LOTRs and is remaking King Kong.

And not action in the slightess but one of my Fav books is being done - Good Omens with Terry Gilliam Directing...

So I dont think its all doom and gloom.

Almost forgot about this nutter : Jackie Chan who's got a few pics lined up which I doubt can be called anything else but action.

And theres Wesley Snipes in Blade 3 and a film called Chaos? with Jason Statham:
    Writer/Director Tony Giglio looks to have signd up Wesley Snipes, Ryan Phillippe, Jason Statham and Justine Waddell to star in Chaos.
    Filming starts in Vancouver on 17th March and will tell the tale of a rookie and veteran cop, played by Phillippe and Statham, respectively, in pursuit of bank robber (Snipes) who knows too much about the inner workings of the police department. Waddell plays a female officer who has a personal connection to one of the cops.
    Last edited by Devilbod; 14-07-2004 at 03:34 AM.

Who What Where
    Thanks
    bad boys, a man apart
    Agree that Bad Boys (and the sequel, which IMO is just fantastic!) are great action movies, and they are the best examples of the genre of recent memory. Another brilliant one is Starship Troopers, it just has that factor of: guns, gore, swearing and boobs. Perfect.

A Man Apart...well I actually rented this on Monday and I was actually pleasently suprised by it. Quite refreshing actually. The bad reviews that it got made me think it would not be anything special but I enjoyed it! Revenge films always have a sense of testosterone in them. Even if the leading man is...a lady

imo the rock nor vin diesel have the presence on screen that arnie or stallone etc. had
    I haven't seen Walking Tall yet, but from The Rundown (or Welcome To The Jungle), I certainly think that The Rock has fantastic screen presence. He manages to deliver his lines with his tongue firmly on his cheek with a "not-to-serious" tone, and that is what this genre needs!

I lost faith in Vin Deasil after xXx, but A Man Apart kind of rekindled my interest and I will keep my eyes open. I was really, really looking forward to The Chronicles Of Riddick (still am actually) but it has had some terrible reviews. I, however, will hold my own judgement!

And Devilbod,

Yeah, but a lot of the films you mentioned don't really come across to me as traditional action movies. As much as I love to watch a War film, or an X-Men movie, or an epic re-make - I go into these types of films with a different frame of mind. I expect different levels of emotion or satisfaction.

Another Mission Impossible film could be good fun, as I enjoyed the first two movies, and Tom Cruise is always watchable!

John Woo as well given a little more freedom and a little less hassle from big name actors can produce some class stuff he's making two films that might be little gems:
    Rainbow Six
    Plot Outline: CIA agent John Clark pacts with other operatives to leave the agency in order to create a UK-based group dedicated to battling terrorism
    I actually think that John Woo is the wrong person for the job on this kind of project! John Woo is a master of overblown action, but I think that Rainbow Six should be made as a more realistic action movie. If you get me, it is about a highly trained tactical unit, it should be handled with care and not given off to the biggest name director around!

Mr. Woo could suprise me though, but I am still a wee bit suspicious about it!

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Rainbow Six is definitely one I'd be interested in; the book's one of Clancy's weaker outings, IMO, but that isn't necessarily a problem. Patriot Games was a very weak novel that made a pretty fun film, whereas Clear and Present Danger was a fantastic novel that was pretty much screwed in the film adaptation, and The Sum of All Fears was pretty uneven too. It may be the case that simply by virtue of the plot being less involved, there's more scope to make a good action flick from the weaker novels.

X3, I'm definitely looking forward to; X2 was that odd beastie, a sequel better than the first film, and if they keep that up I'll be very happy indeed.

I definitely agree that The Transporter was an excellent film; and I'd note that it didn't need an absolutely huge FX budget to achieve that, just well-choreographed action sequences (the bit in the garage with the bike pedals was outstanding) and an actor capable of holding one's attention. I liked Ronin for very much the same reason - De Niro AND Jean Reno AND Stellan Skarsgard? Fantastic. And Natascha McElhone. And Natascha McElhone. And Natascha McElhone...sorry...did I already say that?

I think Hugh Jackman actually has huge potential in the action thriller genre; the sci-fi thing, well, yes, he's now always going to be associated with Wolverine, but I thought his performance in Swordfish was pretty convincing (though not OTT action hero).
    Last edited by nichomach; 14-07-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks
    I think John Woo is looking for a title that he can do where he can just have a bit of fun hence the Spy Hunter and Metroid Prime line up.
    Two strong characters, Good vs Evil, chase and twist is his favorite ground and he has a veiw of action just that tiny bit OTT which is great fun to watch. Where he's fallen down in hollywood (imo ) is when he's had a little to much restriction in terms of big names stealing the show, as for this type of thing Windtalkers I think proved that he can do this type of film.

X3 is supposed to have the Beast and Gambit in this time, well Bryan Singer said in an interveiw thats what he wanted to do this time, although having a quick read it seems like Gambit is a bit of a sore point for most of comic book fans.. Steve Bacic might be cast for the Beast. Oh and there a rumours that one of the stars hasnt signed up for X3 either Hally Berry (too big for her now A-List boots) or Hugh Jackman...

Also on the Mavel film front is Iron Man, several rumours that Nicolas Cage and Tom Cruise have both expressed interest in the past in playing Tony Stark. Although Leonardo DiCaprio has been mentioned as well.
    And Fantasic Four the only character that is in talks for casting is The Thing - Michael Chiklis of the sheild tv series.

With the Transporter 2 in an interveiw Jason Statham said that they where sorting out the problems that were (apparently ) in the first film. This time its going to be in America and its going to be along the same lines just bigger and better (hopefully).

The xXx films are still going but there is one on the cards with Ice Cube!

XXX: State of the Union

Plot Outline: Darius Stone, a new agent in the XXX program, is sent to Washington, DC to diffuse a power struggle amongst national leaders.

Credited cast:
    Ice Cube .... Darius Stone
    Willem Dafoe .... George Deckert
    Nona M. Gaye
    Samuel L. Jackson .... Agent Augustus Gibbons
    Sunny Mabrey
    Michael Roof .... Agent Toby Lee Shavers
    David Rountree .... Young FBI Agent
    Ned Schmidtke .... Gen. Jack Pettibone
    Scott Speedman .... Agent Kyle Steele

Could be pap, plot sounds weaker than a wet paper bag....but still it's action.

Who What Where
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilbod
    And Fantasic Four the only character that is in talks for casting is The Thing - Michael Chiklis of the sheild tv series.

I read somewhere that George Clooney was being considered for the guy with stretchy arms, and Paul Walker was in talks to play the firey...guy

Thread Information