Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two tracks my brother has wrote, please let me know what you all think?

Ravens Nest

Two tracks my brother has wrote, please let me know what you all think?

My brother has been writing songs for the past 3 years and now he thinks he is ready to send off a demo to record companys and hopefully he will get some good replys from them.

He has put two of his favourite tracks on to a website that promotes new talent and can help you to get contacts with the music industry.

Here's the link to where the two tracks are kept and it also has an arty picture of him, please let me know what you all think and i can let him know.

www.imgifted.co.uk/mathead

I personally really like "Whats kept inside"
    I think both tracks are really rocking (Well i would i am his brother)

The tracks are indi\alternative mixtures of 80's electronic keyboard and heavy guitar, reminds me of Depeche mode, Mansun, U2 a little too.

Thanks for reading, look forward to your replys
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 17-06-2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Thanks
    Wow thats kewl stuff, not the usual stuff I listen to but not bad at all, v.impressive. Keep up the hard work. Your bro got talent man.
    foobar2K->Compass->Meridian502/557->B&W802

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Pretty good stuff, not my genre but I can appreciate it, Record Companies may not pay a great deal of attention as they get sent a new demo cd every five minutes, he might stand a better chance trying to get some radio play first, alot of radio stations will play unsigned artists provided their stuff is good enough.

Thanks
    sounds like robbie williams to me so thats good

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    I like it - he's quite good

The second track would sound a lot better with more reverb on the keyboard imo

Thanks
    I listen when the broadband comes online

Knox is right about the demos. very unlikely to do anything (but you never know). They key is networking and live play.

Thanks
    Sounds good, not really my type of music, but it's cool. Sounds alot like Kasabian the 'What's Kept Inside' track anyways...

Can't really hear the lyrics clearly and pick up on what the songs about, but the overall song sounds cool and upbeat.

With the 'Hold me' track I am not too keen on that to be honest. Just not really keen on the whole sound of that track, and the way the vocals have been arranged, with the drone in the background. Other than that cool and get him to keep at it!..

[ iTomaHawk | My Music MySpace ]

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    I really did like listening to that!

One comment, on the second track the bass is VERY overpowering, could just be my bass heavy Logitech Z2200s but i doubt it. Just a comment

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ady168uk
    Wow thats kewl stuff, not the usual stuff I listen to but not bad at all, v.impressive. Keep up the hard work. Your bro got talent man.
    Thanks Ady168uk, Yeah it's not the stuff i normally listen to too either but it does remind of some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    Pretty good stuff, not my genre but I can appreciate it, Record Companies may not pay a great deal of attention as they get sent a new demo cd every five minutes, he might stand a better chance trying to get some radio play first, alot of radio stations will play unsigned artists provided their stuff is good enough.
    Interesting.. do you know of any he could get in contact with? i do know he tried to but a song on to "XFM unsigned" without much success but i will help him to try it again. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I like it - he's quite good

The second track would sound a lot better with more reverb on the keyboard imo
    Interesting idea i'll let him know and might get him to become a hexus member to reply himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Konan555
    I listen when the broadband comes online

Knox is right about the demos. very unlikely to do anything (but you never know). They key is networking and live play.
    My brothers going to play an acoustic set sometime in the future at the "Fat Surfer" which is a local indi\grunge\metal e.t.c. club in Grays,essex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk
    Sounds good, not really my type of music, but it's cool. Sounds alot like Kasabian the 'What's Kept Inside' track anyways...

Can't really hear the lyrics clearly and pick up on what the songs about, but the overall song sounds cool and upbeat.

With the 'Hold me' track I am not too keen on that to be honest. Just not really keen on the whole sound of that track, and the way the vocals have been arranged, with the drone in the background. Other than that cool and get him to keep at it!..

I must admit i have trouble hearing what he is saying sometimes, and i personaly feel the most successful songs are the ones where the voice is heard clear and above the instruments being played.

I'll try to keep him at it (he's a workaholic when it comes to his music), he's worked so hard these last few years and he's just getting better and better, he's working on two songs at the moment and one of them sounds even better than these two and the other song is quite basic at the moment but has loads of potential.

Also did i say he wrote, sung, played the guitar, keyboard and mixed all of the songs himself.

Im very proud of him and a little jealous lol

Thanks everyone for the replys, keep them coming
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 17-06-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by BenW
    I really did like listening to that!

One comment, on the second track the bass is VERY overpowering, could just be my bass heavy Logitech Z2200s but i doubt it. Just a comment
    "Hold me" yeah i thought that to, and i remember telling him it was i think he lightened it a little but it does need more work thanks for the suggestion, BenW

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Slow host

Not bad though Not music I often listen to but I think that's pretty good.

I don't think the bass is particularly overpowering on Hold Me.. Maybe you should lower your sub's gain a bit
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    What does he use to monitor? Hold me has a very deep bassline, it may have something todo with the location of his subwoofer or distance his main monitors are from a rear wall, or even subwoofer phasing (although I doubt it).

The songs have some good ideas, Hold me seems to have abit more meat to it whereas Whats Kept Inside doesn't really seem to define a solid theme.

Sounds good thought - will have to see how he does with record companys ...

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Slow host

Not bad though Not music I often listen to but I think that's pretty good.

I don't think the bass is particularly overpowering on Hold Me.. Maybe you should lower your sub's gain a bit
    Yes the host is very slow at the moment howard, maybe the massive interest in my brothers song jk

There website isnt normally that slow, strange.

My sub maybe too high as my neighbours do complain about it
    Sorry i didnt reply straight away had to go see my dad so was out till now.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealrocks
    What does he use to monitor? Hold me has a very deep bassline, it may have something todo with the location of his subwoofer or distance his main monitors are from a rear wall, or even subwoofer phasing (although I doubt it).

The songs have some good ideas, Hold me seems to have abit more meat to it whereas Whats Kept Inside doesn't really seem to define a solid theme.

Sounds good thought - will have to see how he does with record companys ...
    He uses a program called Reason 2, not sure what monitoring is as im not too savvy with what he does, the placement of the Bass shouldn't matter too much as the recordings are done through the PC then out of the speakers after they are stored onto the HD.

Thanks
    Reason is a good program I've got a little experience with it.

What I mean is when he is doing the EQ of the track what he monitors the sound on makes a big difference to the type of mix you end up with (ie the speakers you listen to it on as you adjust the EQ).

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    keep trying xfm, kerrang would probably have a crack at it on the right show, smaller radio stations - community/university even hospital radio are all worth ago if it gets his name out there even radio one have been know to play unsigned artists on the right shows.

Also just a thought but it amy be worth trying to get some dj's to take it on, he's only got to reach the right one person and it could be the start of something, so he needs to slag himself about as much as possible.
    Last edited by Knoxville; 18-06-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Ravens Nest
    My brother says he cant apply to Xfm unsigned until his has 3 tracks on Brightskies, he's currently working on a third track at this very moment.

He currently has "Whats kept inside" on brightskies and will have two more ready soon, then hopefully Xfm unsigned will then play one of them on the radio soon
    http://www.brightskies.com/tune.cfm?...&artistID=1541
    He uses "Cannd Headphones" to monitor the tracks and EQ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information