View Poll Results: Which speakers should I get?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Logitechs

2 100.00%
  • The Klipschs

0 0%
  • Other - specify

0 0%

Thread: Logitech Z-5500 vs Klipsch ProMedia 5.1

Thanks

Logitech Z-5500 vs Klipsch ProMedia 5.1

Which should I get? My Cambridge Soundworks DTT-3500 5.1s are starting to look and feel a bit dated now..

For other, please specify

Tobeman

Thanks
    Price range?

I am wondering if you could not get the Megaworks 5.1 at reasonable price now (afterall, the Gigaworks are replacing it. For most intent and purposes, the MW -are- pretty close to the Gigaworks though.

Between the Z-5500 and the Promedia... Toughie. The Z-5500 is pretty new, and I've not heard it. I've heard its predecessor, the Z680, and well, I would have to agree with the folks who find it bassheavy (this applies to its predecessor too - which is why I don't think they've changed their formula). At the time I was comparing the Z-680 and the Megaworks, prefered the later. Thats why I went with the Gigaworks.

The Promedia, well... Actually where do you see them sold in the UK? I was seriously considering the Klipsh Ultra over the Gigaworks, but I gave up trying to find Klipsh speakers in the UK. The Promedia 5.1 have been around for a good while and it has been a -very- long time since I've had an encounter. I can't comment much on it now, but I gave it the thumb up back then, except that getting it over to the UK just wasn't going to happen.

My final verdict: Gigaworks if the budget allows, or get the Megaworks If the Promedia is around, then you might check if the place also sell the Ultras (my guess though, is that they'll cost a fortune).
    Last edited by TooNice; 26-09-2005 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thing is I don't really want to have 7 speakers, 5 is still too much wire for me

The only place I have seen them is ebay though (Klipsch Ultras), and imports from America at that

I have heard the logitechs can be over bassy, but surely you can just tweak them and sort that? The MegaWorks are on Overclockers (but not scan ), but I like the control centre oojamaflip, like the idea of being to able to hook up my PS2 and stuff too..

Keep the comments coming guys, and thanks for the response TooNice

Thanks
    I am pretty sure the Giga comes in 5.1 setup too, although not as common (S700 as opposed to S750). I understand your dislike for the cables, I am not keen on them either ^^;

As for the bass, yes you can kind of tweak it with the equaliser/volume control, but it then loses some of it impact. I can't explain it in word very well, best thing I can say is that in addition to how low they go, there is also an element of control.

But I am curious where you see the Klipsch, I remember looking for them ages ago, and found them overpriced here (over £300), and quickly ruled it out on UK price more than anything (and I wasn't going to carry some from Taiwan over here either).

Thanks
    From what I had heard the logitechs were superior, especially for the price difference, over the Creatives. However, I guess really this is all down to user taste. I'll be using it for movies, games and music, I hear (heh, no pun intended) the Z-5500s are over bassy and don't handle music well because of that.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KLIPSCH-ProMed...QQcmdZViewItem <-Klipsch there, £160ish I believe + CRAZY (I understand they are big and heavy, but still..) postage cost (another £170 on top of that, and I guess i'd need a socket converter too if I were to import them)

Thanks
    I didn't mean the Ultra, but rather the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 that you mentioned on the thread title.

Anyway, you might want to check www.3dss.com for second-third-etc. opinions.

The folks there are pretty dedicated to their desktop speakers.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot - it is to be expected, but just to say. The Creative Inspire series are in a different (lower) class than the ones mentioned so far.
    Last edited by TooNice; 29-09-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Information