Thread: Aperture

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

Aperture

Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one post-production tool for photographers.

Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, Aperture makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. From capture to output, you work directly with your RAW files, never having to first convert them into another format before viewing, adjusting, organizing, or printing them.

And with the most powerful image processing in the world, Aperture is fast — whether you’re working with RAW, JPEG, or TIFF images. It supports the RAW formats from all leading digital camera manufacturers (including Canon and Nikon) and provides optimized support for such market leading cameras as the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, and Nikon D2x as well as the highly popular Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D50. It also supports the Adobe DNG format.

Whether you’re a fashion, wedding, sports, portrait, fine art, commercial, or editorial photographer, Aperture’s color-managed workflow and flexible design tools will help you easily create stunning prints, customized contact sheets, elegant books, and web pages as beautiful as the images you capture.

Check it out here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Thanks
    looks interesting, but dont brige and photoshop raw already let me do that? sorry, dont mean to sound rude i think im missing some thing or is this an alternative?

edit: had a closer look and it looks pretty slick and cheaper than photoshop cs2 but mac only im guessing.
    Last edited by noah; 20-10-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)
    I does a lot more than Bridge, and is much more fluid. If you take a look at some of the 'quicktime' features, along with the 3 profiles by 3 artists you'll realize that there is a lot more to Aperture than what meets the eye (oooh a pun!)

Yes, this is a Mac only app and costs £349 RRP, £129.25 via Apple's Higher Education (HE) store. It is quite amazing how much of a discount 'poor' University students are entitled too - Yummy

...and yes I've got this on pre-order. I've taken tons of shots with my EOS20D and as I store my files as RAW managing them is a tedious process. Another very nice feature of Aperture is 'Disk Vaulting' - You designate a folder on a different HDD (say FW HDD) and when every you make changes to your Image library it will sync changes to that HDD only fly, or when you next attach the drive - this is pretty sweet.

Thread Information