• Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Digital SLR advice for a new owner

Well, technically not an owner yet. Ordered a Canon 350D from Jessops last weekend (Kit includes: EOS 350D body (black), EF-S 18-55mm non-USM Lens,
    55-200mm Lens, Grip BG-E3). Got a phone call from them on Tuesday evening just before i came offshore to say it is now in and waiting for me.

So, the question is: does anyone have advice for an SLR newbie?

I've used plenty of compact digital cameras in the past (my trust Sony P10 has served me well this past couple of years) but the whole SLR thing is a little daunting, so many things to take into account and think about. Anyone know of good beginers guides or anything similar?

If i didn't have such an unpredictable working life (can be sent offshore for unspecified periods of time at a moments notice) i would probably sign up for an evening class or something at the local college, but that isn't very practical right now.

All advice and ideas are very much apreciated

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    SLR's offer considerably more control and range than your average compact, and it's great to have all that power....but for the most part, people find a selection of settings they like, get good and them, and then only deviate from said settings for unusual pictures or when they're experimenting.

For instance, I find that my camera is almost always set to Apature priority, set as large (low) as it'll go, mostly 1.8-2.0 because I do a lot of portrait pics, and really appreciate well done bokeh. I'm just too lazy to get my shutter settings right every single time. I'll sometimes move away from apature priority if I'm looking for an interesting action shot, where I'll move to shutter priority.

I still see myself as distinctly amatuer, and until I find myself comfortably working in total manual control of the camera, I shall remain as such. However, this doesn't make me feel like I'm getting less out of my camera than I should be, it just means I've got lots left to learn, and as long as I get pics that I'm satisfied with, I don't feel bad about that at all....
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    I found the tutorials here pretty useful to figure out how to try and make the most of the functonality.

Large Member
    Thanks
    How much did you pay for that kit?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Well, not actually payed for it yet, so nothing

The kit is £899 all in. Details here

Taking out their 9 month interest free credit on it and probably their extended warranty/accidental damage insurance. so it'll be about £990 altogether.

Thanks
    Dawson, that tutorial page is very good!
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    I would recomend browsing the POTN forums for abit, They are a veritable goldmine of photography info that realy helped me when I got my 300D.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

The only tip I would give you is to shoot lots. Your first attemps will most likely be rubbish (well mine where) but don't give up. Keep taking lots of photos and you will improve. And shoot in .raw.

Large Member
    Thanks
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    hmmmm... Thanks for that yamangman, i'll see if i can haggle with Jessops. I know when my Dad got his Sony P100 they looks online and gave him that price after he told them that John Lewis had a better deal.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    do that...i got my P200 down to much cheaper than what they were advertising it as...about £70 cheaper which is almost 1/3 what it cost...
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Finally got home on thursday so picked up my 350D yesterday. Ended up paying full price for it, they don't price match anywhere when buying on finance. Which i guess is fair enough as the finance will probably cost them anyway.

Found a bunch of Capitol Bonds i got from a job a few months ago in the bottom of a drawer and what do you know, Jessops take them so i got a half decent tripod and padded rucksack. Still got £50 of them left, might see about a couple of filters or something eventually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar
    Still got £50 of them left, might see about a couple of filters or something eventually.
    i'd think of a uv/skylight one to protect your lens and a polariser to give you nice skies and get rid of reflections. should cost you around £50 depending on size, might be cheaper.

look forward to seeing some pics

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    yeah thats actually the three i was thinking about. i'm pretty sure jessops do a pack with all three. Also need to get a 52mm to 58mm adapter ring as my 55-200mm lens has a smaller thread.

i've taken a heap today, but i'm not all that impressed with them. Nothing to do with the camera, i just don't think the actual shots are that good need to fine some good subject matter...

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    gt filters on ebay. i did, miles cheaper...its about £1-2 to make one but they are sold in excess of £10 for decent ones...look on ebay and get some filters that way. saved me loads!