Thread: NEWS: Pixmantec, creators of Raw Shooter Premium, bought out by Adobe

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

NEWS: Pixmantec, creators of Raw Shooter Premium, bought out by Adobe

http://www.pixmantec.com/

shocking news and now leaves users of the RS/CE programs in some doubt as to where to go now. What 'pathway' does adobe invisage opening up to RSP users? no doubt it'll cost an arm and a leg regardless of what's on offer. What is odd is that adobe say its going to be incorporated in to their new lightroom program, but they're on beta3 right now, so is it a case of buying out the competition and sitting on the rights? seems a bit late to add in the RSP coding for raw files.
    I personally hate Adobe's Camera Raw, its slow and doesn't have the usibility that RSE/RSP has. RSE/RSP is much much faster at making the changes and is quite memory light. Whilst I appreciate adobe's abilities in imaging this news smacks of microsoft (and other large corp.s) taking over the hard working and in many ways far superior little guys and bastardising the thing, rendering all customer support utterly useless and shafting anyone on the way.

I'm sure there must be other users of RSE/RSP out there, just wondering what they feel about it.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    i use RSP and it is definately a step up on adobe raw, more controls and easier to use. it is a shame that it's gone but i am waiting patiently to see what lightroom has to offer.

thankfully they have left the free version alone

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    Read about this earlier today at Dpreview link.

They say there RawShooter Essentials will remain.

Personally, I don't like RawShooter, so won't be sorry to see it go - however, competition is always healthy. So ho hum.
    Then again, integration can be advantageous. If the underlying elements of Rawshooter are integrated into Lightroom well, it could make a very tasty peice of software - from capture to print.

Thanks
    what I'm wondering is for existing RSE/RSP users, when you make an adjustment the changes are saved in a separate file as the raw file is preserved. will these adjustment files be readable by this new software? if not it means half our libraries can only be read (as processed) by one program and the rest another...now, the smart thinkers will realise this utterly destroys the 'easy workflow' schpeel touted by the adobe lightroom site. top stuff that, really well thought out if you can't access the ajustment files of the very program you assimilated you your own gain. nipples.

p.s. I use RSP and think its far superior to adobe camera raw...which stronrly suggests why it was bought out in the first place, it will sit in the new program - itself not a vast drain on memory - but as a whole I suspect this lightroom will be quite draining.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just have to wait and see on that one.

This is one of the underlying problems with RAW, though. What happens to those shots you took today, when in 15 years time the format is essentially different and support has all-but fizzled out for your antique files?

Thanks
    true true... *gets out the 1N and hunts for that batch of provia*...