Thread: East coast

Thanks

East coast

This weekend I went up to the coast with Splash and his Mrs for Whitby regatta. Like fools we camped up by Robin Hood's Bay, got drenched, the wind broke a tent pole in the night, and the regatta never really took off this year so we abandoned ship after Saturday lunch and came home again.

However, I was up and about with my camera at daft o'clock in the morning and fiddling with exposures trying to get something useful from the horrible weather.

A few didn't turn out too bad I think, all of these are straight off the camera with no tweaks.

First off we have a pre-dawn shot at 1/5s f5.3. Everything became very blue and I quite like it. Handheld (really not tripod weather, there was a howling gale) so a little blury if you look at the fenceposts and tent carefully but it was the colour I was interested in.

Next up we have a shot half an hour later, 1/60s f5.6 and compensated down a little. I wish the boat in the background was a little closer but I quite like the sky and colour of the sea.

Last we have a deliberately underexposed (1/200s) version of the last one taken a minute or 2 earlier, this was all the dawn there was with all the clouds. As with the rest I used pattern metering but had it pointed directly at the sun before reframing a little. The darkness with the orange glow breaking it up works for me, it's a completely unnatural exposure but I like it.

The rest of the pics were garbage, I really must learn more about how to deal with overcast skies.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    when the light is very flat it is very tricky to get something out of it, that said you've done alright