Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair HX 520 PSU switching off problem?

str
    Thanks

Unhappy Corsair HX 520 PSU switching off problem?

Hello,

I recently built the following system:

Corsair HX520W PSU
    MSI RD480 Neo2 or MSI Neo4-F motherboard (switching off problem occurs on both motherboards)
    AMD X2 3800+ (using stock HSF)
    2 x 512MB G.Skill ZX (dual channel enabled and 2-3-3-6 1T)
    ATI X1900XT
    Maxtor HDD
    Pioneer DVD Writer
    3½ Floppy Drive
    2 case fans
    Windows XP Home

I've run Orthos and 3DMark and the game FlatOut which comes with the X1900XT and the system sometimes appears to be stable except that it randomly switches itself off. It ran Orthos for 10 hours with no problems but then at the desktop while it was idle it switched itself off. Other times I can be playing FlatOut and it switches itself off. So there doesn't appear to be a pattern it's more like it just randomly switches itself off and it can be 10 minutes after switching it on or hours later and it doesn't matter if it is heavily loaded or idle.

I checked the 12V and 5V with a DMM and the voltages are rock solid stable even at high load.

I don't know if it's the PSU at fault but I suspect it might be?

Thanks
    Is there any information in the Windows Event Viewer after these switch offs? Also, are you saying it completely loses power and goes totally dead?

str
    Thanks
    There is nothing of note in the Event Viewer and yep it completely loses power. It's as if the PSU stops delivering power so the system switches off but I can hit the power button and it'll switch back on again.

Thanks
    Are there any odd settings in the bios relating to power on / power off that could be causing this? It does not sound like a heating issue and my first instinct is that the PSU should either work OK or be totally DOA. Also, do you have access to a spare PSU you could test with?

EDIT: Also, if you do not have a spare PSU, can you try the Corsair unit on another system to test it.
    Last edited by Yellowbeard; 23-01-2007 at 02:31 AM.

str
    Thanks
    I've checked the BIOS and there aren't any options that would cause it to switch off. The CPU/GFX/HDD/case temps are also fine. I haven't a spare PSU and I don't know anyone that could loan me one either.

I'm testing it with the MSI RD480 Neo2 motherboard and I have the 24-pin and 8-pin connectors plugged in and a molex also plugged into the motherboard. With the MSI Neo4-F I used the 24-pin and the 4-pin connectors.

It just switched itself off again after sitting idle for about 20 minutes at the desktop.

I could test it in my old system although it doesn't require a powerful PSU so it might not exhibit the same problems. I'll give it a try anyway.
    Last edited by str; 23-01-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks
    The description does not sound like a PSU problem to me. However, you have tested with 2 different boards. If you believe it is the PSU we'll gladly replace it. You can RMA with your vendor or directly to Corsair, whichever is most convenient for you.

str
    Thanks
    I'll do more testing over the next few days to see if I can figure out what is going on with it.

str
    Thanks

Unhappy

I'm having a nightmare getting my new system up and running!

I bought a DFI NF4 Ultra-D motherboard and the standby LEDs light up with the Corsair HX 520W, but when I press the power button the fan on the X1900XT and the PSU fan start to spin but then it switches off again almost instantly.

I tried an old PSU with the NF4 Ultra-D and it boots fine.

So I'm thinking maybe there is an incompatibility problem with the Corsair HX 520W and the DFI NF4 Ultra-D or perhaps the PSU is faulty after all?

It's been over 3 weeks since I bought this kit and never have I had so many problems and no matter what I try or buy I always end up with a problem.

Any ideas Yellowbeard?

Thanks
    I would suggest you initiate an RMA. You can use your retailer or, go thru Corsair. There are links here in the Corsair section to our Tech Support Express if you decide to RMA thru Corsair.

str
    Thanks

Question

Just to reiterate the problems I've had:

AMD X2 3800+
    2 x 512MB G.Skill ZX
    HIS X1900XT
    Corsair 520HX

With the MSI RD 480 Neo2 and MSI Neo4-F motherboards the computer randomly switches off and games freeze but I can End Task the game using Task Manager and run it again.

I swapped out the RD 480 Neo2 motherboard for the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and it doesn't post. The standby leds are lit up and when I switch it on the fans start spinning, the board appears to be about to start booting (diagnostic leds all go red) and then it simply powers down again. I leave it about 10 seconds and press the power button again and it again spins the fans etc as if it's about to boot but yet again it powers down.

I then took a trip to PC World where I bought an X1650 Pro graphics card (doesn't require a PCI-E power connector). I try the DFI with the Corsair HX520W PSU and the X1650 Pro but still it won't post. I then set up the DFI with a FSP 350W PSU and the X1650 Pro and it boots fine. I configure the BIOS etc, and runs memtest with no problems which rules out the DFI NF4 Ultra-D as being faulty.

From what I've been told by others the Corsair HX 520W PSU should be fine with the DFI NF4 Ultra-D yet it doesn't work for me.

Am I right in thinking the Corsair HX 520W PSU should work fine with the DFI NF4 Ultra-D? Also is my testing of the DFI with the FSP 350W PSU reasonably conclusive enough meaning it's definately working fine which leaves only the PSU as being at fault?

Last thing, is there anything else I can try to get the HX520W to power the DFI NF4 Ultra-D?

Thanks for all your help.

str
    Thanks
    Also I realise you're already happy to RMA it but the retailer will likely test it with their setup and finds it boots ok so they will offer to return it to me. I'll have paid £18.50 postage to send it back and they'll ask me for additional postage costs to return it to me and most likely a testing charge too.

So I'm really looking to diagnoise it to the point where you strongly believe it really is a faulty PSU before initiating a RMA.

I could buy another motherboard or I could do more testing with the X1650 Pro using the MSI RD480 Neo2 to see if the game freezing and switching off still occurs.

Also, is it still the case where to RMA it to Corsair involves sending it to California which I imagine would take weeks?
    Last edited by str; 31-01-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Also, is it still the case where to RMA it to Corsair involves sending it to California which I imagine would take weeks?
    Yes, and the duration will be determined by how much you are willing to spend on shipping.

Try this:
    1. Unhook all devices from the HX520 except for 2-3 fans.
    2. Use the diagram in the attached link to "jump start" the PSU and see what happens.

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

str
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help Yellowbeard it's very much appreciated.

I tested as you suggested with a 92mm fan and 80mm fan and plugged the paperclip into the green and black pins. It started to spin the fans as well as the PSU fan but then it powered down almost immediately just like with the DFI. So I tried with 3 fans and again it powered down almost immediately again.

Thanks
    Sounds like RMA time for sure. If it fails this test, I doubt your retailer can get it to run a MOBO. You should be safe for an RMA without hassles.

str
    Thanks
    Well that's the thing. I now have three socket 939 motherboards. The MSI RD480 Neo2 and the NF4 Neo4-F power up just fine with the Corsair HX520W PSU and I can install Windows, run games and tests etc. However I've been having the above mentioned problems where the system switches itself off at random or games are freezing as if the graphics card has stopped processing frames. The third motherboard is the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and I was hoping it would fix the switching off/game freezing problem but it doesn't power up with the Corsair HX520W PSU yet it works fine with a FSP 350W PSU.

So if the retailer tests with a motherboard that does power up they might just assume it's working or even if they try to diagnose it further they might run into the same difficulty diagnosing the problem and it could take hours as sometimes the system runs with no problem yet other times it switches off after 10 minutes. The fault shows up randomly and knowing my luck recently it'll run fine for them during their testing session.

Thanks
    Who is your retailer and can you contact them via telephone? Perhaps you can discuss your issue and convince them to approve replacement before you ship it. If they will look, you could even direct them to this thread. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information