• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Intel Bay Trail performance preview thread

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Not convinced that matters. Netbooks with various flavours of Linux didn't take off. The deciding factor will be when people start recognising the Win 8 start screen as being "Windows". That's all that matters. Once you've got that traction, consumer inertia will start getting more and more people to buy Windows tablets, because they know Windows and they don't have to learn something scary and new.

And once you've got people thinking about a Windows tablet anyway, you can make their lives easier: thinking of buying a laptop? Just get a keyboard dock for your new tablet. Or if your tablet's a bit small, how about a lapdock? Thinking about buying a desktop? Single-cable desk-hub for the tablet (I believe AMD are already working on this). Once device. Take it anywhere. Use it any way you want. And frankly, it really shouldn't be that hard to achieve - we have the technology now.
    The thing is though Android and iOS tablets and Android convertible tablets(like the Eee Transformer), have already taken off. We are beyond that point now. If anything Android and iOS have shown,Windows does not have a an impregnable wall outside of a phone.

We are soon reaching a point where the most used computing device for more and more people is either their Android or iOS phone or tablet,not a Windows one.

The problem is the cost of Windows is a massive percentage of a lower cost tablet of laptop and TBH most average users don't have a whole load of expensive legacy applications to run.

Remember,MS basically kibbled Apple by making Windows low cost and by flooding market and the same could happen to MS if they are not careful.

Look at the Bay Trail based Transformer T100. It has lots of cuts to reach that price,like the lack of a second battery in the dock,cheaper construction,etc.

With the increasing power of the ARM based SOCs,and the way Android and its ilk are evolving,I am not sure if will be a slam dunk for MS,even if they reduce costs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 17-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Intel Bay Trail performance preview thread

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Yeah, I was seriously tempted by the Atrix when I picked up a replacement handset for the too-frustrating O2X earlier in the summer. In the end I just couldn't justify the extra expense of the dock, and the Atrix didn't have enough of the features I wanted without it. I've messed with x86 ICS in a VM though, and I think it (and therefore Jelly Bean) actually makes a pretty decent desktop OS - probably as good as ChromeOS - for general stuff (web browsing, music, email, basic office etc.).

There's no reason that Windows 8 devices couldn't do the same: 7" tablet that docks into a 13" laptop dock or a desktop dock - one computer, three distinct usage patterns. tbh I'd even take having to plug it in with a cable rather than having a neat dock. I just want one device that fulfils all my computing needs - that's not too much to ask is it?
    Too much to ask? Nah, I don't think you are asking enough

I get in my car and start it up, the stereo connects to my phone via bluetooth and starts streaming music, from wherever I last left off listening. I don't even take the phone out of my pocket. That's how I expect things to go.

So, how about my keyboard contains a wireless charging system so it can keep my phone battery topped up. The phone can connect to the monitor via WiFi & DLNA, keyboard and mouse via bluetooth, and I start typing. No new technology there.

Edit to add: The monitor output would of course be a second screen, nothing to do with the phone functionality. It could even be in its own VM. Wander off, screen locks, VM sleeps, ready to fire up later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information