Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Hey guys, I am stuck on choosing a good but cheap cpu for 4k gaming... I mean would the 8600k do the trick?

  2. #2
    U don't see a Moose here! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    28,411
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked
    4,381 times in 3,393 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    You are going to be more GPU limited at 4K. I would be looking at a Core i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 1600 as a minimum CPU.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    You are going to be more GPU limited at 4K. I would be looking at a Core i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 1600 as a minimum CPU.
    thnx for the clarity... I had the 8600k in mind.. And merry christmas

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    I think GPU is the limitation for your game capabilities, CPU starts to play rule at very high FPS when your GPU do the best, and the difference about 5-15 FPS, not that much.

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Considering an overclocked 2600k with decent ram can manage 60FPS still in just about everything even a 8600k is overkill and should last quite a while.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Agrroz View Post
    Considering an overclocked 2600k with decent ram can manage 60FPS still in just about everything even a 8600k is overkill and should last quite a while.
    ok... on the issue of the mobo, would an asus prime z370-p do? i'm trying to get good components without spending too much

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by schubert1996 View Post
    ok... on the issue of the mobo, would an asus prime z370-p do? i'm trying to get good components without spending too much
    or eve an MSI Z370-A pro??

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Third Foundation
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    99 times in 91 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Yeah, CPU load in gaming is mostly influenced by frame rate so if you're only running at 60fps then whichever makes sense value-wise in comparison to your total spend. Probably something around £150-200 like an i5 or Ryzen 1600 given you're likely buying a very expensive card.

    Quote Originally Posted by schubert1996 View Post
    ok... on the issue of the mobo, would an asus prime z370-p do? i'm trying to get good components without spending too much
    Which ports do you require from the motherboard? That's the main determining factor if you're not overclocking.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Yeah, CPU load in gaming is mostly influenced by frame rate so if you're only running at 60fps then whichever makes sense value-wise in comparison to your total spend. Probably something around £150-200 like an i5 or Ryzen 1600 given you're likely buying a very expensive card.



    Which ports do you require from the motherboard? That's the main determining factor if you're not overclocking.
    nothing much really... as long as there are usb 3 port and hdmi or DP... whichever has 4k@60Hz support

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: CPU minimum for 4k 60fps+ gaming

    I'd say even i3 8350k would be alright if it's a gaming rig. Save the money to use on a decent gpu as you're doing 4k.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •