View Poll Results: What do you think about game DRM?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A load of rubbish, stops genuine users buying, encourages piracy and should be removed!

35 64.81%
  • Don't like it, but should be kept as long as it's made clear on game packaging.

7 12.96%
  • Doesn't bother me.

11 20.37%
  • It should be used to prevent piracy.

1 1.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DRM Poll

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: DRM Poll

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I recently bough a game from a high-street retailer for which the disc was in the cupboard behind the counter. The disc was scratched and DOA but the shop wouldn't refund or replace the game because I'd broken the seal? How was I supposed to know it was scratched if didn't open the box? I only managed to obtain a refund after several calls to national rate customer service numbers which probably added £5 to the phone bill in total. I know this isn't DRM related, but it shows the ignorance of some retailers.
    That is extremely poor - they sold you something which didn't work - it's absolutely up to them to replace it at the shop you bought it from.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Most places aren't like that, mate of mine took Mercenaries back after installing and playing the game as it would only play at low res when it came out and got his money back.
    Why don't you name and shame them watercooled?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That is extremely poor - they sold you something which didn't work - it's absolutely up to them to replace it at the shop you bought it from.
    It's not quite "absolute". It depends why it didn't work, and for the first 6 months (which obviously covers this situation), whether they can prove it or not.

I'm not specifically referring to watercooled's experience here, I'm generalising from it.

If a product if defective, then the crunch will be if it was defective at the time of sale.

For instance, a scratched disk. When did it get scratched, and by whom? Some people treat discs with complete disregard. I stopped lending anyone but close family and a couple of close friends (with similar standards to mine) audio CDs after getting some of them back in a disgusting state. I have CDs 20 years or more old that are virtually unmarked, yet some people can scrag them in a few days.

So .... if the customer has scratched the disk through some kind of abuse, and they can prove it, there's no responsibility on the retailer. Up until fairly recently (by which I mean the last several years), the burden was on the customer to prove damage wasn't done by him. That's now changed, and for 6 months from sale it's assumed to be inherently faulty (by statute) unless the shop can prove otherwise. But if they can (and in watercooled's case, it's hard to see how they conceivable could unless he told them) prove it, they're not liable.

Hence me saying it's not quite absolute.

Obviously, a scratched disc is hard to prove, but some other forms of user damage (perhaps via carelessness or abuse/misuse) wouldn't be so hard.

Oh, and watercooled ..... I'm using you merely as an example, and not suggesting you scratched the disk. But the shop may certainly have considered that, and perhaps believed it. It just needs someone that knows they need to be able to prove it, and if they can't, it's down to them to sort it and whatever they believe you did or didn't do isn't germane.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Most places aren't like that, mate of mine took Mercenaries back after installing and playing the game as it would only play at low res when it came out and got his money back.
    I've had similar. I bought some software, and it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, and more specifically, what I suspect most people would expect to be standard functions (see below).

I took it back and explained. The store offered an alternative product. I tried that, and that wouldn't either. I went back again, and they gave me a full refund.

In both cases, it was for software installed and tested, and the store (PC World) knew that. I believe they listened to what I said, and that they accepted that the software genuinely wasn't fit for the purpose. They offered an alternative or a refund, without any hassle or pressure.

I guess it comes sown to who you get, whether they know their obligations and, perhaps, whether they accept the story you tell. Clearly, PC World did with me. Perhaps they didn't (whether rightly or wrongly) believe watercooled.

Note: the software was will-making software. I wanted to be able to say that person A gets a bequest, unless they don't survive me in which case, person B gets it. That kind of provision is absolutely standard to avoid making parts of a will invalid every time someone dies. It's a bog-standard provision and commonplace, yet neither package would do it.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Ah, so if a game is really buggy and crashes 99% of the time and it isnt your fault(hardware etc) then you can take it back, right?.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

im glad most feel DRM is a load of tosh and this must be the 100th thread made about this subject. i cant be bothered to read the thread because i can bet a load of cash that people here are saying the exact same things they said in the other threads

anyways guys have fun hehe

Thanks

I think sealed games should be kept behind the counter, rather than the discs being thrown into a drawer/cupboard. They put their own sticker on the case to reseal it so I had to break that to check the disc. Unfortunately, I didn't realise it was scratched until I tried to run it. They could also let the customer examine the disc before they purchase it.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Ah, so if a game is really buggy and crashes 99% of the time and it isnt your fault(hardware etc) then you can take it back, right?.
    If you can prove that there's nothing on your computer that is causing the problems, then yes, you're entitled to a refund under the fit for purpose description. But that's not so easy to demonstrate quickly - I've still heard of many shops accepting this as a reason though.

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't like the idea of online purchasing of software at all. So to buy something, and then not be able to use it without activating on the internet/validating my license? Not at all my cup of tea. I don't like the idea of not being able to install something on some crappy (by future standards) computer and play for nostalgia, just because the powers decided that they should force everyone to validate their game installation before playing.

Thanks

I agree. If you buy a game, you should be able to use it!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I agree. If you buy a game, you should be able to use it!
    I can still install my Red Alert game from 1995 (don't quote me on that) thanks to the lack of DRM rubbish. However I won't be able to install GTA IV...*sigh*

Thanks

I think that its rubbish having DRM on games, as if you want to re-install games after a re-install of windows, you can only do this so many times. DRM though Steam just works.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information