View Poll Results: PS4 or Xbox One to win Console War for 2013.

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS4

45 65.22%
  • Xbox One

11 15.94%
  • Don't know

13 18.84%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS4 vs Xbox One Poll

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: PS4 vs Xbox One Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    This.

It will be the XB1 in this house for Christmas - the exclusive games on offer look better. By next Christmas i expect to have the PS4 too, though.
    I know where you're coming from, but the question was about which will win the newConsole war, not which you'll buy.

For me, the one I'll buy is probably neither, but my view on who'll win the console war is very different, 'cos the criteria are different.

It's like smartphones. If you asked if I'd buy one, the answer is probably not, and there are several reasons, not least, privacy.

But if you asked me whether that viewpoint is commonplace, only an idiot would say it was in the face if the evidence of smartphone sales. But if I had to buy a phone and only smartphones were on sale, the one I'd pick would be heavily but not entirely based on my view on the privacy question, but I don't think that'll be. major driving force for most people.

Which console will win? I don't know, but I suspect we can't know until final positions, including price and spec are known, and until MS' s strategic direction has stopped flapping around like a landed fush on a boat deck. Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say PS4, due mainly to MS PR cockups, and the price and spec. But that could change.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I know where you're coming from, but the question was about which will win the newConsole war, not which you'll buy.
    You're right, i read it wrong, but it does say for 2013 too. So in that regard, i'll have to go with the Xbone.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    You're right, i read it wrong, but it does say for 2013 too. So in that regard, i'll have to go with the Xbone.
    I'd go the other way, but not with any real confidence. Truth be told, I'd rather not guess, but if I did, my confidence level would be about 52% PS4 and 48% XBOne. I certainly wouldn't want to bet anything I cared about losing on it, 'cos it's not much more than a coin flip for me.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think the price will play a major factor, and will go with PS4. Sony knocked off the PS4 eye to get it down to that price, and the XB1 comes with the Kinect but I find it more of a gimmick. I was an early adopter of the PS Move and have barely used it. To me, the PS4 appealed more to me even after the U turn by Microsoft.

Registered+
    Thanks

getting both but If i had to choose i would get Ps4

Thanks

PS4 is already the leader among people who really follow and care about this stuff. However, I think Microsoft was right from the start, and I think Sony knew it too.

There was no real reason for Sony to even bother developing a cam for its next-gen box this early, maybe even at all. I am certain that the console manufacturers are "in conversation" at some level when it comes to design, even if it's less direct than that. Maybe they allow major publishing partners to be open with the other side about specs, and everyone turns a blind eye. Something's going on, since the machines always come out with pretty much the same specs, and this is good for both companies. There's no point in your machine having a big technical advantage over your competitor if the cross-platform games end up hobbled to fit the ability of the weakest machine.

I also think Sony knew as well as anyone that this gen will see the death of the boxed game. Internet speeds and availability are going to be vastly improved over the next few years, and when that happens, you can forget about Sony being the gamer's friend at that point. Everyone in the industry wants and needs a means to reduce costs, and right now everything from packaging through distribution to retail position is keeping the unit cost high and eating into the profits of everyone involved. Of course, there are costs for digital too but they're lower. If games could cost several pounds/dollars less and yet create bigger profits, everyone's laughing. So we saw two different approaches: Microsoft, who must surely have known they were poking a hornet's nest, saw the inevitable and went ahead and did it anyway; Sony, seeing the hornets already enraged, pretended to make a policy about something that only applies until the boxed game dies. Sony were clever, and better businesspeople. When it all goes digital, and it's all DRM, and there are no used game sales, Sony can feign innocence and say, "well, the world changed".

In a couple of years when all this has died down, I expect Microsoft to be at the front of the pack for exactly the reasons that they're suffering now. They made the moves first about a coming digital world, for which Sony is relatively unprepared. Microsoft also made a solid show for a machine that justifies its presence in your home by becoming the TV interface and the family phone. Most gamers laughed, and derided MS for not being all about games, but most gamers lack imagination. Microsoft is well ahead on preparation for cloud-supported technology. Sony, to their credit, bought Gaikai, but that's all they've got. MS's XBO operating system is very slick, and Sony has a poor record of UI design. Microsoft has tablet and phone divisions, and already has Smartglass to tie those together.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Mermoden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI-Z87-GD45-GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4670K Haswell Quad Core + Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD + Seagate 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC 4GB in SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Series™ Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 24" Widescreen LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband DL: 19Mb / UL: 1Mb

Nintendo Wii U 2.

Registered+
    Thanks

XB for short term, but in the long run PS4 will last the longest. I have no idea why XB are trying to market elsewhere, its a games console, should keep it has such or you'll risk alienating your customer base not that they already haven't!

Thanks
    • Nipun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH67BL
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor
      • Memory:
      • G-skill 4GB DDR 3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB sata HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 2000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 32bit

PS 4 rockzzz

Registered+
    Thanks

PS4 this generation I bet

Thanks
    • bytejunkie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock P5S Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot IEM
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840Pro 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 6870
      • PSU:
      • Powercooler 600
      • Case:
      • Thermal Take Dokker
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Screen
      • Internet:
      • yup

sony will have to stop losing exclusives to ms if they want to win this generation.
    exclusives alone are making me consider swapping to xbox this time round.

interesting statement above about ps3 outselling x360 in uk. anyone got the proof? it surprises me. (i know fa about consoles).

Thanks

I'd go for PS4 simply because more people I know will be on it.

Thanks
    • PowerPie5000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4X8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB Toshiba P300 SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 - PowerColor Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P400A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B - 144Hz 1440P Nano IPS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 76Mb

I'd probably go with a PS4 to begin with, but my main gaming platform is still going to be the PC.

Thanks
    • ConnorLowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A78L-M LX AMD 760G
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 850 4 x 3.3GHz 2MB
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz 1x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 400GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 8MB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 6450 - 1 GB
      • PSU:
      • Colours 450W PSU
      • Case:
      • Black ATX Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18.5" Widescreen TFT - Black - 5 MS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk - 2~ Mb

PS4, cheaper.

MS has messed about to much and have put me off buying the XBOX One.
    Politics is were the working man pays his hard earned money to a group of clueless people to make suspect decisions.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Betamax had the best spec, was released before VHS and cost less...but it lost the war.

HD-DVD had better PQ then BluRay (VC1 vs MPEG4), was released first, was cheaper and lost the war.

In both cases the reason they lost was content. Consoles are no different and judging by the ridiculous amount of exclusives, Microsoft are going to try and win this war with content. At the moment I look at it and think I'll buy neither, because of both cost and content availability. If I buy one, I'll end up buying the other for it's exclusives (Sony still has Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital etc but I fear the amount of exclusives will look bad in comparison to MSs)

I think I will wait until the hypervisors get released
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Microsoft definitely did not appeal to me as a gamer with their presentation of the Xbox One and is seemingly all about non gaming content that will never make it outside of the US. For that fact alone, I hope Sony wins the console war with PlayStation 4. It's either them or Nintendo with the Wii U for me.

In addition:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information