Thread: HEXUS.gaming :: Review : Quake 4

Thanks

HEXUS.gaming :: Review : Quake 4

Yep, Activision and Raven's latest addition to the Quake series, Quake 4, gets a thorough going over over on HEXUS.gaming.

Be sure to check it out in our HEXUS.gaming Quake 4 Review!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    A couple of things to add, Nick.

1) This baby is quicker and smoother than F.E.A.R I can run Q4 at 1280 x 1024 with all options maxed out, and still get 60+ FPS!
    2) Q4 makes you feel involved in a war. There are loads of NPC's chatting, going abut their business, getting killed, shouting orders etc. and so you feel this isn't just a one-man war, like all the previous Quakes. I even think Q4 has one over F.E.A.R in this respect.

Agree with the rest of your review though.
    This hot girl came over to myspace last night, she twittered my yahoo till I
    googled all over her facebook. Ask Jeeves...

System 1: Intel i5-2500k OC STABLE @5.05ghz with a ThermaTake Frio (air power!), 8Gb 1600 (9-9-9-24) R3 Patriot G2 RAM, nVidia GTX980TI ;
    System 2: HP N40L Microserver;
    System 3: MSI 'Ghost Pro' laptop - 16Gb DDR4 RAM, nVidia 970M, i7-6700, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD
    System 4: Samsung TAB S 10.1

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I've enjoyed it so far I have to admit but it is starting to get tedious, past few levels I've done are literally all the same as I'm really near the end of the game now. Just reached the 3rd tower and have to route the signal for a 3rd time whilst making my way up the tower.

As for Doom, yep got it in one. Some of the Srogg on it are very Doom like critters. Same goes for the indoor sections, very dark so you have to use the flashlight which limits you to the handgun or machinegun so once you're out of ammo you are in the dark trying to fight youre way through with poor lighting.

It even does the lights go out in some sections as stuff is teleporting in to take you out !

Not a bad game but nothing ground breaking or new, few nice twists like the Makron capturing you and turning you half Strogg and armour and health gets uped by another 25 points. Keep you going till something new comes along !

Thanks
    I really enjoyed it. Bit disapointed with a few things, it could of been seriously cool. Like they could of made the vehicle bits way better, it is to similar to D3 on the indoor bits, the idea of being stroggified could of been way better, like change your abilities and stuff. it was done very well in game. It was also way to short.

I really did enjoy the graphics, the enemies were all cool, epseically the boss guys. The weapons were awesome, though the railgun seemed a bit wimpy. it did make you feel involved in a war, it was cool. I wanted a few more different missions though, a bit more varity was needed, and it needed about another 50% length. I cant wait for an expansion.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    For me this is what Doom 3 should of been. Doom 3 I have yet to complete as I got to the first part of Hell and got so bored I cried when the menu screen would appear and I quit again, it bored me to tears. As for Quake 4 its a good decent FPS, you want a quick shoot em up this is a good game. As for the MP side of things, continues in much the same way as Quake 2/3 the addon's are already coming thick and fast, the mappers have all the quake 2/3 maps converted already. Can't beat the old InstaGib

Thanks
    I liked it too - for the first few hours but towards the end is was more like a chore, just like Doom 3. The only thing that kept me going was the drive to just get it done and dusted and I've not touched it since. Looks good, but again its a little dark. I think the game traded a lot on my fond memories of Q2!
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    It's been a while since I read a review I agreed virtually 100% with, but you came up trumps here Nick

I was battling more with my stupid marine buddies as much as the bad guys last night as they take the term "backup" far too literally and stand right behind you, blocking your retreat.

A game good in its own right, but bringing nothing really new to the table.

Also, I played F.E.A.R. at 1600x1200 and Quake 4 at the same resolution - when AA is enabled Q4 starts to suffer horribly at times - considering that the environment is so less complex this is strange.

It's also so much smaller and so much easier than the previous Quake games.
    The entire "level" where you go to the briefing room (without giving too much away) is nice for padding but the very scripted conversations seem way too staged (the NPCs don't even look at you when talking to you most of the time) and stilted.
    Half Life 2 does a way better job with the ad-hoc comments muttered by the NPCs.

Agree with the general principle of "this is what Doom 3 should have been", but they should have added more in the way of the aspects you mention in the review... ability to lean, better monster AI, secondary fire or ability to toss grenades while wielding another weapon, proximty/remote control bombs, head shots, monsters that roam and aren't "triggered" by walking on a specific spot, etc.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    Definatly Paul. Headshots and grenedes/trip mines would of been really nice.

I didn't really notice the NPC's getting in my way, i thought they were best NPC's in a game yet TBH.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Finished it a few mins ago and the ending immediately said addon !

Makron can be quite tough but the huge brain thing is so easy its unbelievable !

All in all its a good blast but nothing special or different, like Nick said in the review 1997 gaming on a platfrom that is constantly pushing the boundaries with gaming so could have been much better.

Thanks
    This is probably a bump, since I searched for the topic. Just finished it, and I agree with most that has been said. I thought it was fun, and in a way, it feels more "Doom" than "Doom 3" somehow. I am now forcing myself to play Doom3: RE.. I think I had more fun playing Q4. Actually, I've never been that impressed by Quake SP before.

Quake 1 was an technological advancement, but Duke Nukem 3D entertained me more.
    Quake 2 never interested me enough in SP.
    Quake 3.. *Shrug*
    Quake 4... It reminded me of a lot of things but good things overall.

The difficulty was a bit strange though. The game started easy enough, then the difficulty ramped quite a bit. Then mid-way it felt like a walk in the park. Then it got harder again toward the end. There was one non boss major battle (with a few tough monsters) towards the end that was quite tough.

The game was surprisingly playable on my Radeon 9700 Pro. Okay, so I was only on medium quality at 800x600. I don't know how it compares to F.E.A.R graphic wise as I am holding back getting it until I upgrade my PC. But I prefer the graphics in Q4 than D3.

Thread Information