Hi all,

As with the thread title, my PS2 has recently started to make some very nasty noises when gaming. I don't use the console that much any more, but previously this would happen when playing Shadow Of The Colossus, and more recently I picked up Buzz! and it happens in that too.

Shadow... distorts randomly when you're out and about in the countryside, and can be fixed by flipping through the inputs back to the optical connection. However, that doesn't last long, and it soons distorts again.

Buzz! distorts only during the fmv style sequences when the rounds are introduced by a movie. Flipping through the connections doesn't make a difference on this, the distortion lasts until the movie is over, then the sound in fine until the next time a round intro movie plays.

The PS2 is connected via optical out with a gold plated Cambridge Audio lead. The CA lead goes into an Optical splitter, which then feeds into my 5.1 amp. I've tried the CA cable directly into the amp, and I've tried another optical cable straight into the amp, but it makes no odds. The optical splitter is OK too as my Xbox is connected via that, and games, music, 5.1 and DTS are all fine.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers.