Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of the line for PC game retailers???

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewdbarlow View Post
    Is this also the case for Playstaion, Xbox games etc or are there different rules for these??
    As in returning them? If the disk is faulty we clean/replace it

if it happens again we offer a refund, no shop has any legal obligation to give you a refund if you get buyers remorse or buy it and just dont like it.

We DO however let you trade it in generally
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    Do the rules on returns apply to Playstation, Xbox etc games as well or is it just pc????

Jay
    Thanks
    Just say you have the specs that are on the back and it still does not work. Then its not as described and you can get your money back.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    Do the rules on returns apply to Playstation, Xbox etc games as well or is it just pc????

returns policy.....if its sealed and you have a receipt fine, otherwise no (there are thefts in the shopping centre then people try to trade stuff in) (and everyone does get a receipt)
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    Sorry for duplicating post, it was accidental.

Ok...i was under the impression that the rules were different for console games. If this is not the case then I feel less aggrieved.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_oasis View Post
    Just say you have the specs that are on the back and it still does not work. Then its not as described and you can get your money back.
    Apparently this does not work and it absolutely must be sealed...which it obviously won't be if you've tried it and it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_oasis View Post
    Entirely wrong im afraid.
    Its not up to the retailer to ensure compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    I noticed this situation when going around Lincoln last wekend, and concluded that one reason for the decrease in PC space is simply becuase there's more console stuff out now. For example, in Game you will have PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, PSP, DVD as well as PC. When I worked in Game 3 years ago, you had halve of those, and as such there was an entire wall for the PC. With more formats to support, but no increase in floor space, something has to give, and it's usually the PC section that gets shrunk. Gamestsation only had 1 bay for PC, whereas Game had about 3 bays and a gondola with the budget/offers.

Game can still be abused a little in regards to CD keys. Not meaning to give people ideas here, but depending whether the person serving you is on-the-ball, you could scratch the disc, and then ask to swap it around. They may just swap the disc around, or more likely just swap the whole box over; manual, key and all with it. I know some people tried it out when I was working there.

I also know a loophole for swapping Game vouchers for cash, unless they've finally updated the exchange system on the tills

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    I also know a loophole for swapping Game vouchers for cash, unless they've finally updated the exchange system on the tills

Dont work, they closed that a long time ago (if we are thinking of the same one).
    There isnt even vouchers now, its 'gift cards' and mostly trackable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Dont work, they closed that a long time ago (if we are thinking of the same one).
    There isnt even vouchers now, its 'gift cards' and mostly trackable.
    Well, the Game I worked at in Southampton had old tills (ran Windows NT4 I believe).
    Anyway, it was to buy a game with the vouchers. Exchange game for one of same value and get a new receipt, which shows total as 0.00, but totally neglected how the customer originally paid for the game. Return the new game, saying you paid in cash. Et voila...

Thanks
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb
    Gift cards are all dealt with money wise by RBS.... There is no tracking system on them.... Lose the card, lose the money.

All the tills in all stores have been upgraded to XP now

And yeh, On the odd occasion, we'll sympathize with people if it doesn't work cos of specs... but as far as we're concerned... Checking compatibility isn't our problem. All customers are told to check the specs when they get to the tills.... once past that point, its not our responsibility.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

Thanks
    The local Gamestation is pretty good, there's a big second hand PC section, and a fairly good new range. They don't do returns, unless it doesn't work, but you can trade in, and generally get 1/2 to 2/3 of the retail price if it's a very recent game, which isn't TOO bad.

GAME is ****e, though.

Mostly Harmless
    Thanks
    I can apreciate stores not taking back opened pc games. After all once you have the cd key you pretty much have the game thanks to cracks.

What they should do to remedy this is have a 7 day period where the game needs no cd key and provide the key on a scratchcard so if you decide to keep the game you scratch the coating off after 7 days and if you don't want it then the game no longer works and the key is still intact for another customer.
    "You've gotta laugh when you fall off a sofa!"

Thanks
    Is there less money to be made in PC games these days then? There seem (in my corner of the world) to be far fewer independant retailers around now than 10 years ago. Chain stores have definately reduced or completely stocking PC titles. It just seems funny as there are so many PC owners out there.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Is there less money to be made in PC games these days then? There seem (in my corner of the world) to be far fewer independant retailers around now than 10 years ago. Chain stores have definately reduced or completely stocking PC titles. It just seems funny as there are so many PC owners out there.
    Bigger market, maybe, but the price doesn't seem to have changed much for many years, yet standards of things like graphics has gone up enormously, suggesting that development costs may have gone up a lot, too.

If price is static, and costs have gone up, something is getting squeezed. It might be manufacturer's profits, or retailer's profits, or both. Without access to confidential accounts, I doubt we'll ever know who's getting squeezed, and by how much.

Mostly Harmless
    Thanks
    Piracy is rife on pc's, add to that the silly cost of a 360/PS3 level pc and the fact that pc games only sell for £30 despite having the same HD content that supposedly means 360/PS3 games need to cost £50 and the pc is becoming an increasingly less atractive proposition for comercial gaming.

The plus though is that companys that still care about making great games will stick with it.
    "You've gotta laugh when you fall off a sofa!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information