Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to Paris

Thanks
    I'll take note of these suggestions as I'm off on a bender... I mean holiday with some friends from College to Paris this summer.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    consider Lyon for a generally nice place to visit, only pick (the far more expensive) Paris if you really want to see particular landmarks than a generally pretty town

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Go to Place Charles de Gaulle and watch roundabout mayhem! It's great, I was there with my dad for 5 minutes and saw three car crashes in that time! And, the drivers just drove away!

herbalist
    Thanks
    go on one of the boat trips on the Seine. really nice trips, and not that much money i seem to remember. and make sure you yell 'merde!' at at every possible opportunity.
    peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al
    No, don't need any help in that dept!

I'm talking about travelling during the day and stuff. She's suggested Disneyland for the day, sounds like fun! £20 per person about right I read?
    Disneyland SUX..... ok it was about 8 years ago I went there but the most exciting ride they had were the moving floors on the way in!

arc de triomphe - Sit at the top and watch the looneys on the roundabout - hours of free entertainment!

Sacré Coeur in Monmartre - Superb views and a damn fine bit of excercise going up all those steps.

Eiffel tower - you can't go to paris and NOT see it...

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    Go to Place Charles de Gaulle and watch roundabout mayhem! It's great, I was there with my dad for 5 minutes and saw three car crashes in that time! And, the drivers just drove away!
    the rule used to be that traffic ON a roundabout had to give way to those entering. it was changed in the 80s (iirc) to the non-idiotic system where those already on the roundabout had right of way

but a huge chunk of the population took their tests etc on the old system

whoops

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    the rule used to be that traffic ON a roundabout had to give way to those entering. it was changed in the 80s (iirc) to the non-idiotic system where those already on the roundabout had right of way

but a huge chunk of the population took their tests etc on the old system

whoops
    Most roundabouts changed, where they operate now on the 'if you are on the roundabout, you have right of way' theory. But the Place Charles de Gaulle roundabout still has the old rule of people on the roundabout must give way to those who wish to join......

Thanks
    I've been to Paris loads of times and am going there again this Monday 8th for a week.
    For first timers in Paris, I would recomend the following:

The Eiffel Tower - great views of the city (if you're at the top on strong winds, it's like you're on a boat) Last time I was on the Tower, some sod jumped off the second floor - there wasn't much of his head left when he hit the pavement.

L'Arc de Triomphe - great view of the madness that is Place Charles de Gaulle

The Louvre - world famous art museum that is the home of the Mona Lisa.

Notre Dame - the zero-kilometre point of Paris. There are tours up to the top of the eastern tower available.

River Seine boat trip - cheap, relaxing and a great way to see the sights.

Le Basilisque du Sacre Coeur - located in the Montmartre district, this is a buggar to get to but offers great views of the city.

I'd also recommend the following, if you have the time:

Tour Montparnasse - the second tallest building in Paris, this is a huge black skyscraper with a lift that takes up to the top floor where you can get onto the roof.

Catacombs - the entrance to these is at Place du Nation and there is about a miles worth of tunnels for you to walk through, although the catacombs themselves stretch for miles. They used to be a nuclear fallout shelter and about half a million people are buried there - not one for the ladies.

Musee D'Orsay - this train station turned museum offers a better character than the Louvre and is free on Sunday's

George Pompidou Building - worth a visit if only for the bizarre pipe-like architecture - inside you'll find a museum and gallery.

Cemetery in Bois de Boulogne - forgot it's name but a lot of famous people are buried there.

La Grande Arche de Defense - this huge arch is in the high tech La Defense sector. A lift takes you up into the arch where you have roof access. Other than the view, not much up here.

If you're in the Montmarte district, have a quick gander at the Moulin Rouge and the windmill. If you're in Paris on a lad's weekend, there's a lot of brothels around here.

If you're staying near Rue de la Grande Armee (other side of the Arc de Triomphe from the Champs Elysees) there's a good restaurant about halfway down that does a superb full english breakfast.

The best way to get about Paris is the metro - a three day pass will cost about 20 eros and you get a network map for free.

Take care to avoid buying any fries from the McDonalds on the Champs Elysees - god knows what they put in them but they taste vile.

And while we're on the subject of the Champs Elysees, about half way down on the eastern side on the upper floor is a Playboy studio. If you're walking down the avenue at night and know what windows to look at, you can just about see all the camera flashes coming from inside.

Have fun - it's a great ciity!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information