• Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Re: Duffy bike advert sparks complaints

Quote Originally Posted by eshrules View Post
    So you wouldn't?
    i would be disappointed with myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    So you don't want anyone on the roads that gets in your way? Thought so....
    Find me anyone who's happy to have someone 'in the way' anywhere (on foot, on the road, in the supermarket, at the cinema) and I'll be surprised. Examples such as bumping into Jessica Alba in Sainsbury's are not allowed.

I should also add that I've no motoring penalties or convictions either - I've been driving for over twenty years, since March 1989 - I try to treat other road users with respect. I don't speed nor do I drive like an idiot (in fact, I'm really not keen on driving at all to be perfectly honest.) However, I firmly believe that cyclists in this area are dangerous and pose significant risks to themselves and everyone else using the roads. There are other hazards, of course, but when the sun's out, they are the most persistent.

I'm a fairly live-and-let-live kind of guy but some things I believe in strongly. This is one of them. Cultures that like to eat dogs are another one I have strong (anti) feelings about. Ditto bull fighting.

I'll also have you know I recently sponsored a mate of mine for a long-distance charity bike ride (Cancer research) though it was on the other side of the U.K. and he knows I'm not a fan of the lycra mafia. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite but I'd like to think I'm a fairly benign hypocrite if so.

I think a bike would be a good present for you this Christmas
    Excellent, I'll put it straight on eBay. Thank you!

Thanks

Personally, I think that cyclists should need a permit (obtained after taking some sorts of test) before they are allowed on the road. There are some serious rogue cyclists out there, I can understand perfectly well where pollaxe is coming from. A few months ago, a cyclist ran into one of my friend (a 5'3" girl) when she had a right of way, knocking her down and falling in the process. And it's not like she suddenly decided to cross the street without warning, the guy simply did not slow down when he had plenty of time to do so. And he had the balls of getting back on the bike and just riding off without even apologising let alone check that she's even ok. The crash 'only' left her with a massive bruise which took 2 weeks to disappear. It could've been worse relatively speaking, but it did no good to my perception of cyclists.

Edit: OT, on the other hand, I do not relate in the anti-dog eating thing. Not that I've tried, and there are things I do not like in countries where it occurs, but I do not feel strongly against it. I do think that there are better use for dogs than on a plate, but then again, so do horses and I've eaten those (raw).
    Last edited by TooNice; 20-06-2009 at 02:51 PM.

4. Received thanks from:

pollaxe (20-06-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Sam.Raptor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-P35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • C2D 2.66GHz @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x1GB 800MHz DC
      • Storage:
      • WD 320GB 16MB / SG 500GB 32MB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD3850 512MB Pro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450w
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"WS Samsung SyncMaster
      • Internet:
      • 5MB AOL

God Save the Queen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    Find me anyone who's happy to have someone 'in the way' anywhere (on foot, on the road, in the supermarket, at the cinema) and I'll be surprised. Examples such as bumping into Jessica Alba in Sainsbury's are not allowed. ---

---I'm a fairly live-and-let-live kind of guy but some things I believe in strongly. This is one of them. Cultures that like to eat dogs are another one I have strong (anti) feelings about. Ditto bull fighting.

I'll also have you know I recently sponsored a mate of mine for a long-distance charity bike ride (Cancer research) though it was on the other side of the U.K. and he knows I'm not a fan of the lycra mafia. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite but I'd like to think I'm a fairly benign hypocrite if so.
    Happy or not, others share this World with you and accepting and/or tolerating them is part of the deal. So what would you have cyclists do? You don't want them on the roads and others don't want them on the pavements. Would you outlaw one of the ways to improve health, combat obesity, relieve congestion etc. Especially for kids. You seem to be objecting to a specific type of person that you're generalising under the term 'cyclist'. None of us like those kinds of people but there are as many (no, more) in cars, on trains and at football matches as there are on bikes.

Your sponsorship does not make you a hypocrite imo. It shows that beneath the rant you are a decent person who, when the push comes to the shove, is able to reconcile an irrational opinion and do the right and charitable thing .

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Personally, I think that cyclists should need a permit (obtained after taking some sorts of test) before they are allowed on the road. There are some serious rogue cyclists out there, I can understand perfectly well where pollaxe is coming from. A few months ago, a cyclist ran into one of my friend (a 5'3" girl) when she had a right of way, knocking her down and falling in the process. And it's not like she suddenly decided to cross the street without warning, the guy simply did not slow down when he had plenty of time to do so. And he had the balls of getting back on the bike and just riding off without even apologising let alone check that she's even ok. The crash 'only' left her with a massive bruise which took 2 weeks to disappear. It could've been worse relatively speaking, but it did no good to my perception of cyclists.
    But having a permit won't make one iota of difference to the kind of people pollaxe is talking about. They will obtain their permit and proceed to 'get in his way' as is the case now. Sorry about your friend but the example only illustrates that one person riding a bike collided with another person. That happens in all sorts of circumstances every day. If you walked into a lampost, would your perception of lamposts be that they hurt and are sneaky. It isn't reasonable to base a perception of a group on such limited research
    Last edited by santa claus; 20-06-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Tea View Post
    Tweety did not deserve dat. Tweety was not ridin' a bike

Registered+
    Thanks

I've heard everything now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information