Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To be or not to be - what do you live for?

Thanks

To be or not to be - what do you live for?

Following on from a couple of other recent threads that have often brought up the question of life, belief, science and faith, I'd like to take the opportunity to bring up something that has struck me as unbalanced in the whole God/No God debate.

That issue is this: Whereas in these debates theists talk about what they believe (and try to live by), the atheists only talk about what they do not believe. That being the case, I'm not sure I've ever heard an atheist explain by what rule, principle, guide or notion they try to live. Atheism, being by definition a lack of one type of belief, isn't something you can live by.

So here's the question - and it's not limited to atheists - what are your beliefs - what rule do you live by or what aim do you live for?

And then, of course, comes the kicker - is it a satisfying answer to all of life's questions and problems?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: To be or not to be - what do you live for?

Morality.

Morality is a very human product of evolution. It's also something which changes a great deal.

300 years ago slave owners believed what they were doing was morally right. Up until the 1970's Australian aboriginal were taken away from their parents to 'protect' them. this was thought to be a morally good thing.

The examples above were highly religious groups, but that doesn't make what they were doing right or their religion wrong. From a modern moral perspective most 'holy' books are insane, sick and wrong.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

You don't have to believe in God to try your damned hardest to leave a positive impact on the world. IMHO wanting to leave a positive legacy is a much better and more powerful motivator than simply doing so because you've been told it's the right way, or being scared of what'll happen to you if you don't.

For those who do believe in God - would you be genuinely happiest in your later years because you'd pleased God or because you'd improved the lives of many other people? I appreciate there's probably some crossover between the two btw, I'm just interested in the primary motivation...

At the end of the day I have to be able to live with myself and sleep at night...and not being able to justify the things I have/haven't done is a bit of a problem with that.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Following on from a couple of other recent threads that have often brought up the question of life, belief, science and faith, I'd like to take the opportunity to bring up something that has struck me as unbalanced in the whole God/No God debate.

That issue is this: Whereas in these debates theists talk about what they believe (and try to live by), the atheists only talk about what they do not believe. That being the case, I'm not sure I've ever heard an atheist explain by what rule, principle, guide or notion they try to live. Atheism, being by definition a lack of one type of belief, isn't something you can live by.

So here's the question - and it's not limited to atheists - what are your beliefs - what rule do you live by or what aim do you live for?

And then, of course,t comes the kicker - is it a satisfying answer to all of life's questions and problems?
    Death - it motivates and dominates every action on this planet both bad and good ,but its true power is rarely understood.

m

Thanks
    • pooley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67
      • CPU:
      • I7 2600k@4.6
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb ssd x2 Sammy F3's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS HD7950 IceQ
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake TP 875W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-02W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Shimian 27"

I live by the premise of to treat others how you yourself would like to be treated.

For example if you would like to be shown respect and consideration, do unto others.

Is it a satisfying answer to all of life's questions and problems? no maybe not but it would go a long way for a happier planet.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Atp??

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Atp??
    never knew u liked tennis , Im a fan of it too

m

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    never knew u liked tennis , Im a fan of it too

m
    I meant the other ATP!!

Tennis is fine though!

Edit!!

I just realised that Hexus autocorrected the capitalisation in my previous post.

Thanks

I hope I don't offend anyone by this, but I'm rather underwhelmed by most of the answers so far.

Considering the vehemence with which many here attack theistic beliefs and claim that theists are unreasoning, shallow-minded individuals, there appears to be a massive lack of reasoning of any sort going on.

I'm honestly surprised and unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123
    ...not being able to justify the things I have/haven't done is a bit of a problem with that.
    I don't follow that last part, could you explain. Also, if leaving a positive legacy is the goal (sounds pretty good) then what's your plan to achieve that?

As regards the primary motivation in pleasing God, you pretty much got it - there's total crossover. Jesus said "Love the Lord you God...and love your neighbour." Again, in John's Gospel, He says, "One command I give you - love one another." Pleasing God will lead to leaving a positive legacy. As for the motivation, it isn't simply to do things because you think God will like them - but rather, the primary motivation in Christianity is to know God and be known by Him. It is the same primary motivation as in marriage, pretty much. Life with someone who loves and inspires you, and a transformation comes out of that relationship, as your character to matches His, ultimately to perfection, so that from the relationship, love and the positive legacy, come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooley
    I live by the premise of to treat others how you yourself would like to be treated.
    A good rule to live by. May I ask if you have an aim or goal?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope I don't offend anyone by this, but I'm rather underwhelmed by most of the answers so far.

Considering the vehemence with which many here attack theistic beliefs and claim that theists are unreasoning, shallow-minded individuals, there appears to be a massive lack of reasoning of any sort going on.

Not really, you assume any of these things matter to us.

I can't remember where I picked up the phrase, but it often strikes me as apt, "A philosopher will argue day into night as to if a table exists or not, yet he still eats his breakfast off it".

It's that kind of thing for me, the same with Kalniel's thread about if the floor is real.

One thing I do know, I have things that make me happy, things that make me sad, I don't like sad. Sometimes I have to endure sad things for a happy thing, sometimes my happy comes at the expense of someone elses sad, that makes me sad only from my reasoning about it.

That in a nut shell is all I really need. I can't comprehend the rational of any creator theory, and not just because its turtles all the way down.

Why does life have a reason? Why would it need one? If you have a religion which explains your reasons, with any form of creator what are his reasons, is it entirely circular?

Lets not go down the road of religion and morals either, because all my examples make me sad, because it makes me like people less.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

11. Received thanks from:

chuckskull (09-02-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Never said you were unreasoning or shallow , so not sure where you got that from unless your assuming so yourself ,the question is why , and if so why you feel we we owe you something ? ( esp for those of us who have other beliefs you dont / cant entertain )

Is it too cold outsde ?

m
    Last edited by melon; 08-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

I think you just don't like the answer.

There is no difficulty in living life without religion. People aren't left morally void, aimlessly struggling with every morning, wondering why they go on.

Atheists have the same motivations as religious people, to succeed, make life better for their children, etc. Just as there are very few religious people who have god as their primary motivation for life. Belief in a god or gods isn't what motivates anyone to work and feed their family. At least I hope not.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

And then, of course, comes the kicker - is it a satisfying answer to all of life's questions and problems?
    I believe in pints of beer and a Ruby Murray on a Friday night, yes it answers everything

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    I think you just don't like the answer.

There is no difficulty in living life without religion. People aren't left morally void, aimlessly struggling with every morning, wondering why they go on.

Atheists have the same motivations as religious people, to succeed, make life better for their children, etc. Just as there are very few religious people who have god as their primary motivation for life. Belief in a god or gods isn't what motivates anyone to work and feed their family. At least I hope not.
    I think your religion should worry more about how you represent yourselves as a group ,after all that is what motivated you to exclude certain gospels when you were being thrown to the lions ( going from memory )

funny how thats changed over the years isn't it ?

m

Thanks
    • Pilgrim_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q
      • CPU:
      • Q9550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800gt 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Hiper type R 580w
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24"

Before you read this think of Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice in your head.

"To crush yoah enemies, see dem driven befoah you, and to hear de lammentation of de vimmin!"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim_uk View Post
    Before you read this think of Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice in your head.

"To crush yoah enemies, see dem driven befoah you, and to hear de lammentation of de vimmin!"
    The Riddle of Steel

m

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information