Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for trip to Ireland

Rob
    Thanks

Thumbs up Suggestions for trip to Ireland

Woo-Hoo! I had some flight vouchers to use up, so I've just booked a flight to Ireland. Where I've always wanted to go.

So the thing is, can you wisened and travelled folks throw me any recommendations of things I must see or do? We get to Belfast on bonfire night , and are there for five days. Can hire a car (can I take a NI car to the South?) and have totally free itinery.

Any good music venues especially welcome cos I'm a gonner when I hear Uilleann pipes. Just love good Irish music.

Thanks guys if you can. I will google but nothing beats personal recommendations.

Thanks
    I'm afraid I'm a deep south man so I dont know much about that area of the country
    There's a good bit to see in the Belfast area though.
    You shouldnt have any problem bringing a hire car to the south although I've never tried it.
    Dublin is a cool place for visiting. Lots of stuff to see and a good bit of Irish music. I havent been up there in ages so I dont know what is the best place for Irish music but temple bar and the Smithfield centre would be a good bet
    If you want uileann pipes then Armagh would be a good place to go but again I dont know what the session scene etc is like up there.

Rob
    Thanks
    Thanks Turk... Sorry, I should've said don't intend staying in Belfast. Dublin is DEFFO on list for couple of nights. Basically we have a car for 5 days and no hotels booked (yet).

Thanks
    Belfast is well worth a look though. As for info about Dublin I think both Lynni/Tumble and Shogun have been to Dublin recently and heard some trad music. So they should know where to go.

What kind of stuff are you interested in seeing though?

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    This is where we stayed in Dublin, right in the centre of Temple Bar

http://www.barnacles.ie/templebar/accommodation.htm

I will get you some more info about what we did later

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    and also it is going to rain with pretty good regularity every afternoon in ireland...so take a good coat. that said I can be really nice out too this time of year, just so you know
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

listen to escape fails :) luap.h's Avatar
    Thanks
    Belfast eh? Over the 12th - that could be interesting Should be ok, been pretty quiet this year as things go!
    Must see places in NI would be, um, the Giant's Causeway? The north Coast? Crown Bar in Belfast, the Odyssey arena, the green hills and stuff, Carrickfergus Castle. It all seems lame to me, but then I live there

I'd say my band, but our next gig isn't till August

You can take a car from NI to the South no problem.

Rob
    Thanks
    At last... Crown Bar Heheh. Is that a good music pub per-chance?

Seriously though, looks like good info folks, thanks.

Especially Lynni for the accomodation, unfortunately 'she that must be obeyed' fancies THIS one . Still it is our first holi in ages so might as well get some pampering as well.

And thanks for reassurance on car Luap.

Thanks
    Hmm just thinking as your a train driver you might like the Ulster Folk And Transport Museum. It has a nice collection of Irish trains. On the other hand you may be sick of looking at trains every day but even so it is meant to be a very interesting place to go. I know someone who used to work there doing craft demonstrations. Well worth a visit considering it is only seven miles from Belfast

Rob
    Thanks
    Bugger the trains - I wanna go to 'Linen Week'. Like wow!

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Hahahahah i looked into that hotel since this was a birthday pressie when we went, dont envy ya if your paying

Try this linky below for stuff to do, i couldnt find the one i used to help me plan our weekend but this looks ok

http://www.dublinuncovered.net/tourist.html

You must do the City tour bus, from O'connell street, it takes you right upto the front door of the guiness storehouse and about 15 other stops like St Stephens Green Park (dont for the love of god, do what we did and walk there AND back, it was like 12 miles each way going out was nice, cos it was coldish and fresh.... but comeing back was blistering hot!!)

Arlingtons did really 'apparently' nice guiness, and irish dancing with the music as well I wanted Irish stew for my tea on our second night the only place we could get into to eat was there.... so nice Food

Faringtons we went to for Lunch on our first afternoon, that did gorgeous food... really really nice baguettes and stuff Good drink as well, but no irish music

There was a pizza place at the top end of Temple bar just outside, we ate in our first night that was nice as well

:warning to you both though: Guiness was strong over there, and unfortunately tumble didnt learn from his lesson, leaving me to carry him home both nights and put him to bed!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lynni
    (dont for the love of god, do what we did and walk there AND back, it was like 12 miles each way going out was nice, cos it was coldish and fresh.... but comeing back was blistering hot!!)

:warning to you both though: Guiness was strong over there, and unfortunately tumble didnt learn from his lesson, leaving me to carry him home both nights and put him to bed!!
    Ahh give over it wasn't that far at all... about half an hour's gentle wander down the river...

and I was perfectly ambulatory thankeeverymuch... may not have been in a straight line, but I knew where me bed was....

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble
    Ahh give over it wasn't that far at all... about half an hour's gentle wander down the river...

and I was perfectly ambulatory thankeeverymuch... may not have been in a straight line, but I knew where me bed was....
    It was abit longer than half an hour hunneh, u didnt notice much going out 1) because it was before 10am

2)you had your hangover head on, the reason you insisted we walked!!!

Thanks
    live up in the north, but last time i was in dublin i went on the tourbus to the guinness storehouse and it icked ass, and you get free guinness (or coke etc). Dunno where else there is that would beat places in england tho, apart from the food + drink

Rob
    Thanks
    Firstly, Lynni... This is exactly the inside info I was after (rep points comin your way).

Secondly Tumble... Where you walk, I shall fall...

As for the hotel, I cant really complain as it's our first holiday in two years, and our first since I bin earning obscene wages, so we want to make it nice.

Will do the bus tour for sure! Being a Guinness drinker at home, walk is not in my vocabulary

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rj45ethernut
    Firstly, Lynni... This is exactly the inside info I was after (rep points comin your way).

Secondly Tumble... Where you walk, I shall fall...

As for the hotel, I cant really complain as it's our first holiday in two years, and our first since I bin earning obscene wages, so we want to make it nice.

Will do the bus tour for sure! Being a Guinness drinker at home, walk is not in my vocabulary
    The tourbus caught me out tho, you pay to get on it and then what i didnt realise is that you then pay for everything you want to see.... so really all it does is save your legs and give u a tour round the city

The hotel we stayed at tho if you change your mind, was cheap, clean and comfy with en-suite shower and toilet... breakfast was provided, although it was very basic - i think it was cereal and toast with juice and coffee/tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information