Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Desecration on UK Commonwealth World War Cemetery in Benghazi

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

Re: Desecration on UK Commonwealth World War Cemetery in Benghazi

Personally I think we bring this on ourselves.

I recently came across the quote "Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice", by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman with a fascinating life story.

For most of us, our first experience of Islam's intolerance was probably the murder threat against Salman Rushdie (an author and winner of a Man Booker prize and the Booker of Bookers). What is less known is how many people (translators and publishers) associated with his books have been murdered.
    There are many other instances of this kind of intolerance. The murder of Theo Van Gough is known by many, but the details of the brutality are less well known (killer stabbed a multi-page death threat into his chest !)
    The attack on a Danish magazine is well known, but it's less well known that it escalated into an attack and boycotting of the whole of Denmark. It's also less well known that this kind of silencing of publications is still very active. A magazine in Paris was petrol bombed just 4 months ago !

Our reaction to all these attack is one of cowardice. People are terrified to speak out against Islamic intolerance, just in case it results in an attack. Even this thread contains an example of that fear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Its even worse when its over a stupid burning of a book (yes i know its an important book) IN THE US.
    Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack on Hicks12, he was probably worried about the reaction of the mods, if he didn't show deference to that stupid book.

Did you recognise what they were saying as they kicked over those grave stones ? Rest assured, they were saying exactly the same as they flew those planes into the twin towers and detonated their bombs on 7/7.

Here's another article with some clear pictures of the aftermath. I wonder if those brave young men, who died in 1943, would expect us to be so reverential of quran !

2. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (05-03-2012),roachcoach (05-03-2012),TheAnimus (05-03-2012)

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

removed by Mod
    Last edited by g8ina; 05-03-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Misquoted original

Thanks

Yasser Arafat International Airport who paid for it and who destroyed it, and why hasnt the countries that funded it ask the country that destroyed it to pay up.

Thanks

What a bunch of idiots. Chavs and scumbags who think they're hard can be found in every country and society. Personally I'd love to see the fundamentalists in America and the Islamic extremists thrown into a pit in a great free-for-all. With some of the sectarian idiots in Ireland thrown in for good measure too. And maybe a few adolescent grizzly bears. I'd really love to see that. One can only dream!

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by billythewiz View Post
    Personally I think we bring this on ourselves.

I recently came across the quote "Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice", by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman with a fascinating life story.

For most of us, our first experience of Islam's intolerance was probably the murder threat against Salman Rushdie (an author and winner of a Man Booker prize and the Booker of Bookers). What is less known is how many people (translators and publishers) associated with his books have been murdered.
    There are many other instances of this kind of intolerance. The murder of Theo Van Gough is known by many, but the details of the brutality are less well known (killer stabbed a multi-page death threat into his chest !)
    The attack on a Danish magazine is well known, but it's less well known that it escalated into an attack and boycotting of the whole of Denmark. It's also less well known that this kind of silencing of publications is still very active. A magazine in Paris was petrol bombed just 4 months ago !

Our reaction to all these attack is one of cowardice. People are terrified to speak out against Islamic intolerance, just in case it results in an attack. Even this thread contains an example of that fear

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack on Hicks12, he was probably worried about the reaction of the mods, if he didn't show deference to that stupid book.

Did you recognise what they were saying as they kicked over those grave stones ? Rest assured, they were saying exactly the same as they flew those planes into the twin towers and detonated their bombs on 7/7.

Here's another article with some clear pictures of the aftermath. I wonder if those brave young men, who died in 1943, would expect us to be so reverential of quran !

While you are generally probably right, my comment wasnt really to do with mods or the backlash . Religion has its place and for some it holds much more than others which is why i said that statement, its just at the end of the day disgraceful for anyone to try and justify themselves via a piece of literature, theres a good few copies of the Koran so its not exactly hard to replace .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billythewiz View Post
    Good quote, and perhaps we shouldn't be so tolerant of people who are themselves intolerant of other peoples views, religious or others, and take threads off topic for that purpose!

I doubt Hicks12 thought that at all as there is no evidence of deference to a book, regardless of the content.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

@billythewiz nailed it.

It's come to the point where when people are killed/buildings firebombed/other examples because someone did/said something and the public reaction now is "well, you know what will happen, you should know better".

People are no longer surprised by this, probably not even particularly outraged any more. That alone tells a real, sad story.

I'm tired of certain segments of society (globally) speaking being treated differently from everyone else - equality doesn't mean that. You don't get to pick and chose parts of it to apply as they suit. The best part is, it's not respect causing the changing treatment, it's fear. Not fear of what might happen, its fear of what will happen.

Even as I post this there's a nagging at the back of my mind of 'gosh, will this sound really bigoted?', but you know what? I'm tired of watching innocent people die because someone said something mean. It needs to stop, the world needs to stop pussyfooting around this issue and make it clear that actions like this have no part in a civilised world. Of course the trouble is, it is nigh impossible to have this kind of debate before people start suggesting you're the bad one.

It's a sorry sodding world these days, it really is. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my flame resistant bunker.

blueball

also deleted by Mod
    Last edited by g8ina; 05-03-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: quotes already deleted post

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

OK, last warning.

No sniping, misquoting, no nuffink to offend.

One more and we close the thread.
    Cheers, David

11. Received thanks from:

Knoxville (05-03-2012),peterb (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

/\ g8ina speaks truth....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information