Thread: REALLY boring topic.. SERIOUSLY. No point in coming in here

Commander Keen
    Thanks

REALLY boring topic.. SERIOUSLY. No point in coming in here

REALLY. There is no joke.

For those boring enough to not have been scared away by the title. AND by being refered to as boring TWICE already are my target audience..

I am going to be moving in with a friend in September. I will likely be returning to university while he is going to be on what is considered low income.

Because he is not a student HE has to pay council tax. I worked out the tax brand of the house.

as found here

Because I am bored, and realised that the poor bugger has to pay £70 a month, possibly £61. Anyway. ALL council tax is calculated based on two adults, and there ARE exemptions for him since I will not be paying..

Anybody have experience of sorting this one out. There are a lot of Students/ex-students posting here so the chances are fairly high.

The best option - the one seemingly guaranteed to get him benefits - is if we sign papers declaring we are legally gay and to camp it up when he signs on.

hahahahahhh.
    Advice is welcome.

Thanks
    basically if one person is a student and the other isnt, the one who isnt, get's 1/4 off their council tax. It's called something like single person's discount cos you dont count since you're a student and aren't obliged to pay.

However, if you're feeling particularly generous towards this friend, you could help him out and pay half of his share of the council tax.

edit:

incidentally, where are you going to be living, and what uni u at?

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    Thats amazingly personal question Elmo..

But I thought the link to Aberdeen city council webpage *might* belie the fact it is Aberdeen city ! - its Aberdeen UNI too... THE ONLY UNI IN ABERDEEN ! *RGwho ?* <- that HAS to be a very local dig/jibe/joke.

I have had a quick read about this stuff. He should be entitled
    "Second adult rebate"... but it is more fun to speculate over signing the legally gay papers to get more cash off because his partner is a student ! It should save him more money. AND it makes a better story.

He is also eligible for "council tax benefits" but its an either or thing.

Originally by ELMO
    However, if you're feeling particularly generous towards this friend, you could help him out and pay half of his share of the council tax.
    TOO right. I figure if he gets the 25% off <- thats still really unfair. I might do something simple like buy a Tv License on my todd (that on my own)... its a little.. but a useful thing. I have a license right now anyway. I would just be extending it. He can cancel his one and get the rebate. Will think more about this later..

Thanks
    robert gordon.... i see.... interesting... I didnt click on the link so i didnt know you were in aberdeen

oh wait... have i totally lost your sense of humour? must be a north eastern thing U're at aberdeen uni, not Robert gordon?

*gives up*

Thanks
    Right hang on- I'm married and I don't get any discount on the council tax as a result? So I'm not sure what the point of declaring that you're a couple is, other than that it would be amusing.

If your friend is on a low income though, then he'll probably be entitled to some housing benefit and/or council tax reduction in addition to the 25% single person discount. Between us my wife and I earn about £21k a year, and we don't qualify, although as far as I can tell we're only just over the threshold. Anyway, the easy thing to do is just to fill in the forms, take them along to the council with proof of earnings + savings etc., and let them work it out.

Rich :¬)

herbalist
    Thanks
    i'm in this kind of situation at the moment. i'm living in a shared house with 3 other students at wolvo uni, and i'm not sure if i'm going back into education or not. if not, i'll have to work full time. however, how will the council tax work if i do start a job, and does it go through the landlord?
    peace

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky
    i'm in this kind of situation at the moment. i'm living in a shared house with 3 other students at wolvo uni, and i'm not sure if i'm going back into education or not. if not, i'll have to work full time. however, how will the council tax work if i do start a job, and does it go through the landlord?
    peace
    If you work full time you're likely to be charged some council tax, how much of the full amount you have to pay depends on how much you earn. If you're the only person working in the house, you get the 25% discount (although why the hell it isn't a 50% discount is beyond me, surely if you've got one person working in the house instead of two you should get a 50% discount? ).

Technically I believe that the landlord will initially be sent the bill for the council tax, but a landlord with any sense will insert a clause into the contract saying that the tenants must pay the council tax if they make the house liable by working rather than being a student.

Rich :¬)

Rob
    Thanks
    Just register the address as a Mosque, job done.

Thread Information