Thread: My hand is b0rked

Thanks

My hand is b0rked

Few days ago I hurt my hand, most noticably it has swelled up like a ballon , one of my nuckle things seems to be missing and I can hardly move one of my fingers..
    I can type with it, atleast, so its not that bad. I can close it but not make a tight fist, and I can just about straighten it out, but no further backwards. My finger itself feels perfectly fine, its the hand/nuckle bit that is painfull.

I think it happened by hitting something resonably hard, something not liking to be hit.

It seemed to be getting better, shurnk in size etc... by about half. I was even lifting/moving quite a lot of 15-30KG blocks of granite Friday - ofcourse not putting any of that weight on my bad finger, but from the others my hand still hurt, although... after which it seemed to feel a lot better, less painfull etc..

Anyway its a bit painfull (a lot more than earlyer :E) at the moment, any guesses as to how bad its broken?
    If anyone can find a diagram of the bone structure thingy in the hand, would be very usefull, I can probably move it all back myself - or die in pain trying

Strangely when bones break, atleast ones in the hand (Ive broke a few fingers while playing sport before, but not from any other part of me) they dont hurt that much. Same for all bones or just the small ones?

Thanks
    Main thing with hand breaks is the positioning. Is the bone u think you've broken straight? can u bend that finger? if you cant then you should go to a doc to get it splinted, cos if not u can lose function of it completely. Sounds like you've broken the proximal metacarpal of whichever finger it is that is most painful & in that case you definitely should go see a doctor to get it repositioned, since to regain full function you have to have it almost 100% spot on & have to keep it that way for a number of weeks...gl
    If a man talks in a forest & there's no woman around....
    Is he STILL wrong?

Thanks
    Definitely see a doctor and get it right...

They say you should never hit anyone with a closed fist, but sometimes it's so damn hilarious...

Thanks
    Farmerjon you seem to know a lot, are you a doctor?
    The finger is the one next to the little finger - I forget its name ...
    The finger is fine, and I can bend it, but moving the finger, where it connects to the hand, is a bit painfull.. and my nuckle seems to be flat
    I dont think splitering would help as its the hand, not the finger thats broken.
    I suppose I should goto the hospital.. will probably need an xray to find out which bit is broken.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    I think it happened by hitting something resonably hard, something not liking to be hit.
    Have you been punching walls again?

Probably a good idea to go to the hospital mate, they can diagnose you better than we can over the net

Thanks
    yup, go to hospital. I left a thumb that i fractured and dislocated, i put it back in myself and now its at a funny angle and hurts under small stresses.

go get it done properly
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    No not a wall, it was metal

Well having found this, http://www.bartleby.com/107/54.html#i219
    I know exactly what is wrong, sorta.
    Here I have drawn on one of the pics, http://server6.uploadit.org/files/kbn2k3-hand.jpg
    Blue circle = bit that is out of place/broken. Green = swolen area.

Anyway Im not sure anything can be done to fiix it.. short of cutting my hand open/letting some crazy doctor do it.. in which case id prefer it as is
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 15-08-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not a doc, just a medstudent, but know a little more about this cos a mate had a very similar thing happen, only it was a hockey ball rather than a metal object. Defo need to see a doc, since they can readjust the fracture without cutting you open (probably) and can then use a plastic splint on the finger to keep it in place. They'll also give you some exercises to do if it is broken so that you can keep mobility & not end up with a finger that wont fully flex or extend... hope it all gets sorted easy
    If a man talks in a forest & there's no woman around....
    Is he STILL wrong?

Thanks
    Best to get it checked out because if it heals in the wrong way you could end up with sever loss of movement in it.

Worse case is they would have to re-brake it to fix it.
    Either way you'll end up with a few cool x-rays of your had to keep .

Thanks

Nearest (functional) hospital is quite far away. And I feel like a tit for hitting it in the first place.. I think ill just pretend I never done it...

Thanks
    I dunno if that's such a good idea, it's better if you go and check that up!
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    yeah u really should get it checked. if uits where you say it is then you can get a splint, it'll be the full length of ur hand instead of just yous finger and it'll save you from loosing movement of that finger. u cant be lazy about thing that are wrong with your body.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mgh0
    yup, go to hospital. I left a thumb that i fractured and dislocated, i put it back in myself and now its at a funny angle and hurts under small stresses.

go get it done properly
    Lol, my girlfriends sister recently broke her wrist on when her drunk b/f was taking her home on his BMX, so she goes to the hospital. They put a cast on it, wrong! So now, her wrist is at an angle, looks like its drooping. And all they said was it will go back to its correct position as she grows. But these are supposedily "trained", yet they cant straighten a wrist and put a cast on? Bah.

Thanks
    This looks liek what Ive done.. ah well.. might goto doctors tomrrow if there time..
    http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport210.html

Just got back, had a small fracture which will heal by itself
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 16-08-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Thread Information