Thread: How bloody annoying! GRR!

Thanks

How bloody annoying! GRR!

Just went to make an online purchase and reached to my purse for my visa delta card and there was a big empty space where it should have been! so i search my entire purse, looked through all my reciepts, turned my pockets out, and searched my bag i had with me in town today but nope.... no card.

I then try to retrace my steps back to the last time i used it.... in Boots, at about 2.45pm... THE BLUMMIN WITCH DIDNT GIVE ME MY DAMN CARD BACK!

So... first port of call was - call lloyds and cancel the card and check the last authorised transaction and make sure any made after 3pm are blocked.

Maybe i should have called boots first, but i didnt want to risk any more time of not knowing where my card was, so it was instinctive, and now, it doesnt make any difference if it is in boots or anywhere else.

BUT since it's 5pm on a friday, i wont be getting my new card now till next friday! so i'll have a week of not having any pennies and having to go into the bank to withdraw money.

What i want to know is:
    It was a chip + pin card, so if the card was to fall into the wrong hands, would they be able to check the chip and get my pin number? I know the card itself is blocked, but can they still get the info that's on the chip from something like a skimming machine?

grr! Annoyed!

Thanks
    No. The pin is stored centrally, not on the chip itself. The machines verify the chip and the pin with Mr. Visa, not each other, so you are safe!

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    No, they can't figure out your PIN, Im fairly sure of that, so that's something at least. It was probably a mistake on the part of the salesperson in Boots anyway, rather than being malicious, the card will probably be handed in, or just chucked into the bin.

But if you're worried, I don't think the PIN is anywhere on the card, and even if it were then I think that its encrypted such that you couldn't get the info anyway.

Still annoying though huh?

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Aye twas prolly a mistake, I faorgot to hand cards back a few times in my time at sainsburys just used to send em down to CID

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo

Just went to make an online purchase and reached to my purse for my visa delta card and there was a big empty space where it should have been! so i search my entire purse, looked through all my reciepts, turned my pockets out, and searched my bag i had with me in town today but nope.... no card.
    Nasty..these things always seem to happen on a friday tea-time.
    This is a regular occurance for my wife .Her card can normally be found under my pc keyboard. Not a major emergancy like yours tho.hope you don't lose anything.I bet your alot more carefull with it now!!!!!
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    so you actually know said 'witch' didnt give you your card back?

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    No. The pin is stored centrally, not on the chip itself. The machines verify the chip and the pin with Mr. Visa, not each other, so you are safe!
    Spot on.

Chip & PIN is "2 factor authentication" - something you have and something you know.
    You have the card and know the PIN.

That's why it has been ludicrous to rely on a visible signature on the card itself as authentication for years.

When it is properly implemented, you don't even hand your card to anyone, you swipe it, you enter the PIN into a keypad, and you confirm the amount to pay - so not much opportunity for theft or cloning.

If you present a payment card in Sweden that doesn't have a PIN, they will ask you to sign the receipt but will require ID like a passport or drivers licence - they don't even pay attention or verify the signature.

LOTS of people here haven't even signed their cards
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    I accidentally put my main Delta card through the washing machine and totally got rid of the signature; since I keep my cards loose in my pocket it was close to disappearing anyway. I generally had to get a new card every 9-12 months because the signature would fade.

Chip and Pin is a seriously good system for me.

And Elmo, I managed to forget to give back a couple of cards when I worked in a shop, usually because I was too busy conversing with the customers. I doubt it was deliberate.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    yeah she did forget to give it back, i called the branch when my mum got in from work and she came on the fone to appologise for it. Its just a big pain in the bum having to wait for a new card and only being able to take money out when the banks are open :/

Thread Information