• G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

Grangemouth Plant Closes

Article here

this is about the petrol chemical plant closing due to workers being on strike and unwilling to agree to cost cutting measures to save the plant.

The workers are shocked, but should they be? A private company has to make a profit, it is not a charity. They cannot be held to ransom by workers and trade unions expecting much in this recessive climate.

Everyone else has taken paycuts and/or lost their jobs, it's the current climate. It's no longer boom days.

Why do people expect to get keep their job with the same wage structure if the company is struggling to balance books and needs to cut down on wages or worse, lay off people.

Isn't better to accept a wage cut and still have a job, than live on benefits and be unemployed.

Unfortuantely I feel Trade unions have too much power and fail to see both sides of the story and only focus on one thing.... power and money to workers with no regard for the companies their employees work for.. they are not cash cows, they also have to make money.

What do you think?
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

Thanks

Re: Grangemouth Plant Closes

I wonder if those unions will now pay for the workers who have lost the jobs.... oh but they say its not OUR fault....

I work at a major retailer - and over the weekend - they had to lay off 30 people in 1 store, pretty much all of the new starters from 5 months ago - me though I transferred out but lots and lots wont have a job after this weekend. why? store wasn't taking enough money - by a lot , footfall is down , so they have to save a lot of money.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly unions in their current form are a cancer.

They work against democracy, see the funding of the Labour party and the fact its lead by Ed.

Over a century ago, we needed the idea of union representation to prevent exploitation, but look at what they have done in the last 50 years. It's utterly terrible.

To me, the real irony is how the unionistas ignore reality to make sure it someone else to blame but them, let's go on about Maggie Thatcher, rather than acknowledge that with any kind of economy, the enterprise has to be sustainable.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Now we are going to be shafted with fuel prices. Bloody unions!! Can't they see that no company can afford to lose £10m a month?

Thanks

don't worry - the SNP will survive with the oil industry! cant make petrol now but we have OIL!

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Were they ACTUALLY losing £10 million a month though and what were all the changes that they wanted to make? It could be that the cost cutting measures really were excessive? I won't form an opinion until I know all the facts.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    Were they ACTUALLY losing £10 million a month though and what were all the changes that they wanted to make? It could be that the cost cutting measures really were excessive? I won't form an opinion until I know all the facts.
    Do you know the background to this?

In a nutshell, there was some crony, who Labour decided to try to get elected without any fair vote, because they get all their party funding from unions such as this one:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-23176525

This is completely despicable.

But the issue is, they got caught. So they decided to do the next best thing, which was to ensure their crony got more dosh for doing work against a free democratic society. The company got pissed, because why are they paying these pissants to not do any work for them? So they decided to try and not. This clearly shows that the big evil company are exploiting the little people. So the union decided to flex it's mussels, the problem is the company wasn't doing that well and is now in liquidation. Companies don't like to go into liquidation.

Obviously the unions will try and spin this to be somehow not a direct result of their actions. I for one say it is time we do away with these anti-democratic beasts and also, if possible reform party funding.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Well as a teacher I do not agree that unions should be abolished. However having read up on the above, and further reading, these workers have shot themselves in the foot. Also though, the cuts proposed to pay and pensions etc was quite excessive in my opinion. Although still better than no job.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB

Thanks

Well as a teacher I do not agree that unions should be abolished.
    Why?

Do you think the relationship they have with a major political party is for the betterment of the nation and its people? Let's not even get started on the co-operative bank...
    However having read up on the above, and further reading, these workers have shot themselves in the foot. Also though, the cuts proposed to pay and pensions etc was quite excessive in my opinion. Although still better than no job.
    No. 50% or so of them shot everyone in the foot. 50% just wanted to work, now they might not be able to. I wouldn't feel so outraged if it was a case of those effected being responsible, but it isn't. They ruined it for everyone.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Why?

Do you think the relationship they have with a major political party is for the betterment of the nation and its people? Let's not even get started on the co-operative bank...
    I have had a few councils try and cheat me and other new teachers out of nearly £1000 before. With the help of the union we all got every penny back. Also, in terms of advice in work regarding various issues our representative(also a full time teacher) has been excellent help. As for the politics, I am not bothered by them. I am just reporting on my personal experience with them.

Thanks

But that is the issue with personal experience rather an objective analysis (not saying mine is!). For example private legal insurance is about a tenner a year, and would probably have sufficed, a lot less than the union dues I assume.

Personally the way they fund labour is disgusting to me, I don't think anyone I'd class as decent could support such a thing.

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:

I think Unions have too much power, but it doesn't mean they should be abolished, but rather common sense should be slapped onto these unions and that endless pay rises or one of their members gets suspended for doing something silly they all Strike is just not the way one should be like.

Gone are the days of 'You strike' I will get someone else to replace you permanently. Now it's all about tree hugging and filling in forms. We live in a society where we take work for granted and really it shouldn't be.

Yes we did our courses, Degrees e.t.c to get work, but it's also a two process, you don't bite the hand that feeds you, at least not the point where you lose your job and the company closes because you were stubbourn and listened to your Unions asking for unacceptable terms which the Company can't afford.

It's made worse that not everyone wanted to strike and actually wanted to work, now those people will also lose the jobs because of the Unions hold on other other's employees and their refusal to see between the lines and look at the bigger picture. All about money and greed now a days unfortunately, gone are the days when we took paycuts to save a company going under, now it's strike strike strike.

Sustainability is not in the Union's vocabulary
    Last edited by csgohan4; 23-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Bear in mind an extremely common tactic in Union negotiation cases is to allow the company to fold, then for the same management to buy it up again under a new name, allowing them to fire all existing staff without consequence. This was used e.g. for Hostess vs Bakers Union, in the USA.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Not to mention the sums don't add up, of course. Ineos say the plant is losing £10M/month. But the 800 workers taking even a £10K/year cut would only save £8M/yr.

But by all means, blame it on greedy unions.

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    Not to mention the sums don't add up, of course. Ineos say the plant is losing £10M/month. But the 800 workers taking even a £10K/year cut would only save £8M/yr.

But by all means, blame it on greedy unions.
    But it's still significant enought to shut the plant, it's more than your pocket money for sure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    Bear in mind an extremely common tactic in Union negotiation cases is to allow the company to fold, then for the same management to buy it up again under a new name, allowing them to fire all existing staff without consequence. This was used e.g. for Hostess vs Bakers Union, in the USA.
    Yes, hostess went bankrupt just to spite them...

You know that they haven't re-incorporated right? Last I heard the administrators had licensed the twinky brand, it was hardly a masterful tactic. The company was in dire straits, and in honesty I doubt that the workers taking cuts would have saved the firm.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information