• Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Re: Alternative gaming Discussion - Board Games

Some great suggestions here, Who knew board gaming was this popular!

I like the look of Arkhum Horror but the game length is putting me off for now, although will be looking to pick up Elder signs as a "break in" longer game.
    Also as a huge Discworld fan I am going to order one of them games soon. Either Ankh Morpork or Witches. I forgot I bought Thud a few years ago and was a great game, unfortunately my partner at the time was too obsessed with "Farmville" to play it properly. Perhaps it is time to dust it off and see how it plays now.

We are off to my fathers house this weekend to try Pandemic with more people (if it ever arrives *shakes fist at Yodel*).
    If that works well and we enjoy it we have said we should make it a regular thing with family and friends. Cheaper than a night out... i'm not tight, just finacially frigid.

Edit: My partner likes the look of Ticket to Ride so that's going to be trialled soon too.

Edit 2: Thanks scaryjim, theres a LFGS in Horsham called BattleQuestGames. Going to pop in there at the weekend and see what they stock.
    Last edited by Chadders87; 07-01-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks

Settlers of Catan and the first expansion, Seafarers of Catan, is an excellent game (the third expansion Cities & Knights is also excellent but becomes a little more complex). I've introduced it to many different people of many different types and never once has it received a negative response. It plays simply enough to pick up quickly but offers enough variety in terms of strategy and approach that it doesn't get boring. The adjustable map also adds to massive replay value. I'd give it a shot.

Bear in mind that the original game and the two expansions cater for up to 4 players.

A really fun card game series is the Munchkin series. That one always gets a good response too, although if your lady isn't much of a geek she might not get into it. Again, it's a very good, well-designed and fun game, that has as its inspiration, role playing games. Don't get the wrong idea though, it's not an in depth role player. The idea is that each player is a 'character' and you take turns 'opening doors' (turning over cards) and either adding to your character or fighting monsters. However, it doesn't take itself seriously. In fact, it is entirely tongue-in-cheek, and the game is based around player interaction. The general summary is:

"Go down in the dungeon. Kill everything you meet. Backstab your friends and steal their stuff. Grab the treasure and run." http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/

The very first Munchkin game has cards set in a typical D&D/fantasy theme, however, subsequent versions (which can be played stand alone or mixed for some rather eclectic combinations) are set in stereotypical settings like Spy, Kung-Fu, Superhero/Comic etc. The webpage has a full listing. This one is all about a sense of humour with simple but clever (and sneaky) interaction. All players start as 'Level 1' and the first to level 10 wins. You level by beating monsters, acquiring gold or playing certain cards. The trick is to level yourself up while crippling others. One minute you're helping someone out, the next you're trying to bring them down - sometimes you bring them down just so they will then need your help from which you can benefit. It's all a rather comic mercenary affair.

A simple race-based card game that is quite good, and in Canada played at tournament level, is Mille Bornes (A Thousand Stones - stones=mile markers). I'm generally not a fan of race-type games, but this one is a relatively quick-fire card game played either as individuals or in teams of two. You're attempting to advance your (or your team) to 700 or 1000 miles whilst stopping the other player(s) or team(s) from doing so, and avoiding their attempts to stop you. This is another game my wife and I have come back to often and introduced to friends. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

Those are a few that come to mind, but if you let me know if a certain type of game appeals more than others I can have a think. I have a friend who runs a board game shop so when I lived nearby I regularly got to try all sorts of games.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Registered+
    Thanks

These two are great board games:

The london game - basically use the underground to go through as many places as you can to win.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toy-Brokers-...he+london+game

Stratego is a war game that you can use many different strategies to protect your flag whilst you chase after your opponents flag.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-9495-...words=stratego

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

The more I google these games the more I feel I have wasted my life on Steam.

Arkhum Horror (or Elder Sign), Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Citadels, Dominion.... All sound great!

@ Galant, I want to get munchkin but it doesn't play too well as 2-player. It's on my wishlist for a gaming night game though. Sounds hilarious!

Edit: Swapped "Rivals for Catan" for Settlers of Catan. Assumed both were the same but with amended rules, which as pointed out below is not the case.
    Last edited by Chadders87; 07-01-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    Edit 2: Thanks scaryjim, theres a LFGS in Horsham called BattleQuestGames. Going to pop in there at the weekend and see what they stock.
    Good stuff, hope they look after you properly!

... Rivals for Catan ...
    Don't confuse the 2 player card game Rivals for Catan with the extensive board game (with many expansions) Settlers of Catan. They're by the same designer and the card game is alright, but it's nowhere near as good as the full board game. If you fancy Settlers but will mostly be only playing with 2, let me know as I'm sure I have the "official" additional rules for a 2 player game around somewhere and will happily type them up and drop them to you by email. it might also be worth checking out this boardgamegeek thread about it which has a link to someone's unofficial 2 player variant: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1409...tlers-of-catan as well as some people saying they enjoy playing it 2-player as is! Settlers is a great game to have in the cupboard for when you've got a couple of friends coming over anyway

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This is our local board games shop:
    www.eclecticgames.co.uk

Well worth a visit if you're venturing anywhere near Reading!

Thanks

Oh and before I forget the "Munchkin" games are a lot of fun... but they are a minimum of 3 and better with more.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

A lot can be said for RPG's as an alternative to board games, particularly if you've got a couple of friends who can come over on a regular or semi-regular basis. I've recently got my other half, and her friends into a fortnightly game, we'll usually have something to eat, play for a couple of hours and pick it up next week.

An intro-kit like Pathfinder Beginnner Box is a good starting point as it is effectively a board game (the site I've linked to is my FLGS)

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I've heard a few people mention pathfinder, but not experienced it myself. Is it any good? (I'm more into RM/MERP and D&D, but am could do with an alternative for shorter sessions as grown ups don't have any time! )

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Enjoyed this thread, and I think I will buy a couple of those board games for me and the Wife. Couldn’t get her into gaming either, but she enjoys a board game so will give them a crack. I like the sound of Ticket to Ride especially.

On a semi-related note, I was talking to my Brother the other day, and he reminded me of these adventure books that we used to have. One was where you were a footy player, and played out a few seasons trying to win the league. Came with dice, a little league table thing so you could move your team up or down depending on results. Another was made by the same crowd I think, but you were in a haunted house and estate, and that book came with dice and a few tools, of which you could pick 2 to help you along (i.e. a card that when you put it over a group of jumbled letters would spell out a clue. Does anyone know the books I’m talking about? I’m trying to look them up but when I type it in in Google, it’s bringing up Choose Your Own Adventure books and Fighting Fantasy, which I also enjoyed but not what I’m looking for.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but thought there was a decent chance that you guys in here may be able to help me!

Cheers

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Pandemic 2013 has arrived and we spent a good portion of the last two night learning and playing it.

As I am sure most of these mentioned games are, the rules are a bit complex on initial reading but taking the first game slowly with constantly saying "let me just check the rule book"' they start to fit together. After they click, they are surprisingly simple and easy to follow. The rule book itself is more of a pamphplet and very well designed with images and examples.

As for the game, it's really rather good! Game 1 was over in about 10 minutes and left us underwelmed until we realised we had missed step 3 of the turns (The infect stage, which adds more virus cubes to the board). The next few games taught us we really needed to communicate and plan strategies, many of which changed every few turns.

I also like the fact you can increase the difficulty in later games by using more "epidemic" cards when you get the hang of it.

As a newcomer to boardgame's I'd reccomend it. I like video games, the fiancee hates them. We both really enjoyed tis though so it's definitly spouse friendly.

I'd also recomment looking at www.boardgamegeeks.com for rule clarifications and reviews of games. Cheers for the link!

As we want to have a nice selection of games to play in rotation to keep things fun, I will hopefully be getting another box depending on what the LFGS stocks or can order in to the store. Probably look at a comptetitive type game rather than co-op for something different.
    Last edited by Chadders87; 09-01-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I've heard a few people mention pathfinder, but not experienced it myself. Is it any good? (I'm more into RM/MERP and D&D, but am could do with an alternative for shorter sessions as grown ups don't have any time! )
    Pathfinder is essentially D&D 3.75 - it's D&D 3.5 with (even more) power creep. If you're looking for something quicker/shorter than D&D 3, pathfinder ain't it My main game is running the D&D Next playtest as our main system, which plays quite fast, but probably not significantly faster than 3rd, tbh. 4th edition is quick at low levels, where people don't have much choice, but beyond about level 5 encounters take longer and longer until you can only fit one encounter per session, if you're lucky. As with most things though, speed of game/content per session is largely in the hands of your GM and party, and how quick and loose you're all willing to play with the rules... and what you want out of the game/campaign. There are some *very* quick playing RPGs out there, but they're not necessarily suitable for a long term campaign with an overarching plot.

EDIT: sorry, didn't actually say - I really enjoy Pathfinder. Played a Half-Orc Bard in an ongoing capaign a few years ago and had great fun with it.

... As I am sure most of these mentioned games are, the rules are a bit complex on initial reading but taking the first game slowly with constantly saying "let me just check the rule book"' they start to fit together. After they click, they are surprisingly simple and easy to follow. ...
    You'll find this is true for the vast majority of modern board games. I've played so many games that are really hard to explain but really easy to play. You took exactly the right course for that - sit down with it and understand that the first time you play you'll literally be referring to the rules every turn. That first session is always about learning the game and how it plays (obviously this is where gaming friends are useful - they can teach you new games).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Cards Against Humanity.

You have been warned!!

Thanks

How about Chess? Oh no, I think I just made myself the thread fuddy-duddy

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Pathfinder is not a quick system, it's maths-heavy with lots of pluses and minuses to track, just like D&D on which it's based. However the basic set I linked earlier is good, and is far easier to run.

Personally, my gaming group uses Savage Worlds, a light weight generic system that's aimed at adult gamers without copious amounts of free time to prepare. I can typically plan and run an adventure with an hour's prep, and the combat typically takes half an hour vs the 2 hours for Pathfinder

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

16. Received thanks from:

kalniel (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Double post sorry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information