• 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: Should Teens get banned from Smartphones for SnapChat

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    I've never figured out why questions like this bring up the freedom of speech question. The two don't equate in my view. I think it's helpful, when freedom of speech is considered, to remember that speech is communication and so has a source and a target. This means that we should ask, as Saracen has done, which arena we have in mind when looking at any given question, as well as asking/reminding ourselves about the purpose of free speech law, what it is designed to protect, and in what regard.

I don't think kids should necessarily be banned from smart phones because of a particular app, I do think their parents should be, and are, responsible for protecting their kids (and maybe protecting others from their kids!), and after that, perhaps, there should be some consideration of putting protections in place with regards the app or phone. Either way though, I don't think that this is a free speech issue.
    We got a bit sidetracked by saracens/mysticmagics discussion around what can and can't be posted on the forum.

I tend to agree it isn't a free speech issue, although I suppose it could be argued that these teenagers (and indeed adults) should be free to express themselves by posting compromising pics without suffering harassment for it. Whether you address the problem (people thinking they can get away with harrasment) or the 'cause' (people posting the pics) is rather a matter of ideology, but certainly the latter is easier.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Should Teens get banned from Smartphones for SnapChat

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmagic788 View Post

I might hate what a person says and even despise him for saying it but I will defend the right for him to express his viewpoint until my dying breath.

I thank you both for showing me the same courtesy and I have enjoyed the discussion but need to get some work done. I think this discussiin has run its course.
    Thanks again, its been fun
    In the general case and not Hexus-related, I agree broadly with your above paraphrase, but would add "provided it doesn't harm others".

I.e. I support the basic principle of free speech, but not totally unfettered free speech. An obvious example of a limit would be the "fire in a crowded theatre" (a real criminal case, by the way) scenario.

But you and others are right, it's off-topic. It was raised here because the notion of censorship was raised, and while we do sometimes feel the need to edit, we also feel it worthwhile to explain why. Your challenging post was polite and courteous, and it'd be surly not to reply in kind.

We could have an interesting "free speech" argument .... but in it's own thread. So I too will leave it at that. For now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information