Thread: Information on moving to Ireland

Thanks

Information on moving to Ireland

Hey all,
    My g/f and I are looking at moving to Dublin - does anyone know of an Upmystreet.com equivalent for dublin? Ideally I'd like to find out the following:

- what are the various suburbs + summary of each – which ones are quite cool and funky?

- average rentals – based on the above info

- travel summary – they have a tube equivalent – how much does that cost ? what is the network like ?

- average cost of living summary

- average salaries – for management and systems engineering

- other useful info so she can go prepared for her interview?

basically a copy/paste of the checklist
    I know it's hugely expensive to live there - but it can't be as bad as where we're living in london - I've never even been there - but assume there's no tube equivalent

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Irish Consolate ?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ahoy!! Long time lurker, first time poster here

So, you want to move to Dublin??? From London??? After living in Dublin for 3 years and moving back to Belfast (which is a wee town by comparison) I wouldnt go back. Dublin will be wretchedly expensive. Not quite as bad as London for rent, but EVERYTHING else will be more, food, taxis, electricity, everything.
    Its a great place for going out tho, but beware of TempleBar and the Keys area in the middle of the city. Stag party heaven, and €6.50 a pint is not uncommon.
    Public transport is by and large pretty good, the bus routes are pretty comprehensive, and there is the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit), which is an overground equivalent to the tube. It only runs North/South though but there are stations convenient to most places.
    Salaries are an easy thing to misinterpret, as I found when I lived there. A lot of comanies will be willing to pony up a relocation package, however it's worth noting that Ireland has a very highly skilled and educated workforce. The aftermath of the the tech bubble bursting hit Ireland quite hard, with several big names like Motorola and Gateway pulling out.
    Dublin itself is laid out in a very simple way. There is north Dublin (watch the Commitments for a snapshot of it as its worst) and South Dublin. Both are expensive to live in, but the South of the city and outlying regions (ignoring Tallaght) are very nice. Check out www.daft.ie for quick guide to house prices.
    My fingers are getting sore, so if you'd like any more info drop me a mail (jules.esra@dsl.pipexdotcom).

Thanks
    Hey thanks for that - some pretty solid info...

Don't really want to move - but my g/f's new job will be worth it - would be interesting to get out of london for a while also, as I've been here since I arrived from NZ 9 years ago - so it's about time for a change.
    I was quite impressed by Belfast when I was there in October - very cool city - I'll be dropping you an e-mail shortly - thanks!

Scotty

Registered+
    Thanks
    Dublin will definitely do for a change, people will be a lot nicer for a start.

Belfast can be a really odd place to live. Despite the obvious and well known problems its great! It can be a little backwards at times, but most people are surprised when they come here and find its just a regular UK city. Yes folks, we have McDonalds the same as everywhere else (though Moscow had one before we did :S).

Thanks
    i went into BK in belfast with a hangover - couldn't understand a word anyone was saying... hilarious.
    I'm shooting over there on tuesday for a look around and see what's what - got something jacked up with a real-estate agent who is going to take me around.

Thanks
    Welcome to Ireland Scottyman .

Ireland's cool you should enjoy it. I dont have much experience of Dublin but transport is reasonable although not really on par with the underground. The new LUAS trams are pretty cool but have pretty limited catchment area at the mo . Whatever you do dont try and drive anywhere in Dublin, traffic is absolutely damn awful .

Dublin accomodation prices are pretty scary but maybe not as bad as central London. Generally the price of living is expensive in Ireland and even more so in Dublin.

Still overall Ireland is a friendly and happy place so hope you enjoy it.

Thread Information