View Poll Results: Should UK bomb Syria?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 20.90%
  • No

45 67.16%
  • Don't Know

8 11.94%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the UK bomb Syria?

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Should the UK bomb Syria?

Cobryn - "Only a diplomatic solution will bring hope to Syrians"

In the event the UK doesn't get involved in the bombing, it is still likely we will be targeted by IS.

In the event the UK does get involved in the bombing, it is still likely we will be targeted by IS.

Why?

It has been known that, they wish to take over the UK and implement Sharia law.

Just what are your thoughts?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Should the UK bomb Syria?

Don't need to bomb them, just stop them entering the country and tighten controls and laws to help us deport more.

While the sentiment is a bit BNP (who I hate!) it certainly seems a much more tolerant approach than bombing...and while it is painting a lot of people with the same brush, that brush isn't in the form of bombs (which will also not be discriminate when they land!)

Sorry Muslims but there is a point when you just have to realise gods are not real and people are dying over your absurd beliefs.......I'd have a go at Christianity as well but it certainly isn't causing the grief it used to any more.....and in this country we have a recent precedent for rubbishing beliefs: Jedi religion on the census.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    ... It has been known that, they wish to take over the UK and implement Sharia law. ...
    I'd love to see a reliable reference to that. They may think that the entire world should submit to Sharia law; that's very different from saying they wish to "take over" a specific country and implement Sharia law directly. Daesh (or IS, as they prefer to call themselves) is a radical fundamentalist religious group. it's also an extreme minority. Any implication that they could "take over" a western country is clearly ludicrous.

As to should we bomb Syria? My personal opinion is that wiping out more infrastructure in a war-torn country is going to hinder rebuilding if a legitimate government can be restored, and emplying open warfare against a group that is more used to guerilla and terror tactics is likely to be expensive, inefficient and ultimately ineffective. I'm not opposed to military action, but airstrikes will only work if we have good intelligence and are targetting a centralised command chain. I'm not convinced either of those things is even close to being true in Syria...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is likely we will be targeted by Daesh anyway. If reports are true, there have been several unsuccessful attacks on the UK in the past twelve months.

Taking action in Syria may increase the likelihood of those, but it is difficult to assess by how much, at least as a bystander. The security services probably have a better idea about this.

'Bombing' is a somewhat emotive term, and tends to imply carpet bombing seen in WW2 or Vietnam. In practice the munitions are smart guided weapons, such as the Brimstone missile and smart guided bombs.

But air strikes alone won't recapture territory, that may need troops on the ground (and I would be very surprised if we didn't have SF in there already) and ultimately there has to be some form of diplomatic solution to fill the vacuum when Daesh are defeated. There also needs to be e Ono ic effort to cut off the revenue streams that fund Daesh.

There also has to be effort to address the reasons (and methods) for radicalisation and why they are so successful in recruiting.

Military action is but one part of this, but there must be a clear mission aim, and an appropriate e it strategy, both which were missing in the second Gulf conflict.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Banned
    Thanks

Send Corbyn over on a fact finding mission first.

6. Received thanks from:

gupsterg (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ... There also has to be effort to address the reasons (and methods) for radicalisation and why they are so successful in recruiting. ...
    I might have an inkling towards some of the reason:

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    ... just stop them entering the country and tighten controls and laws to help us deport more. ...

... Sorry Muslims but there is a point when you just have to realise gods are not real and people are dying over your absurd beliefs...
    Just sayin'

8. Received thanks from:

badass (03-12-2015),Domestic_Ginger (02-12-2015),kalniel (02-12-2015)

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Voted no.

Collateral dmg , prolonging and as I've said before; we lose this lot; v3 will be even worse. The daesh idealism has to be quelled. Video footage of dead innocents is powerful propaganda.

There are enough planes with bombs there. Surgical insertion perhaps. The real problem is Assadists vs rebels. All the powers have a favourite, without any daesh to kill and the buildup of arms; its going to get sticky. I think this needs to be resolved now if the country is going to have any stability but after 4 years seems unlikely.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

I'm just not certain what bombing would achieve. Sure, it may disrupt the military maneuvers, however it's not going to prevent people from joining up, nor is it likely to bring an end to their leaders (who still are not clear). I am however certain that it would cause them to desire to retaliate against us as they have so very publicly against France and Russia (as well as others). So do I want this country to get involved in another unwinnable war? No! No I don't!

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Can't back down through fear though :/ they'll start to think they're winning.

We already lost this one by backing the rebels in Syria and here we are 4 years later.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Yes they are a problem.
    Yes, they need dealing with.

That they’d even consider trying to terrorise the UK, given the apathetic response with which all the other organisations’ efforts have been received, suggests they are more stupid than they look. I recall the IRA bombings of train stations and tracks which obviously disturb those directly involved, but the vast majority of people were more miffed that the trains were delayed!
    Bomb a bus in London and people will be mildly piqued that they have to wait for the next one.
    Do something in America and they’ll go nuts on the over-reactive security paranoia, as they also retaliate with full-scale war on your entire country… but the UK cannot be terrorised, because we just don’t care!!!

Humour aside - They may be a 'minority', but that word carries with it the implication that they are negligible. However small, they are still a very real danger to us and clearly to our allies.

What I would expect is to see the majority, ie the rest of Islam in all its forms, stand up for their own beliefs and vehemently disavow ISIS in its entirety – If they are THAT serious about their insistence that True Islam preaches peace, ISIS should be the subject of scathing ridicule in the same way we treat the Westboro Baptists. There have been some, but the religion as a whole needs to stand up and say NO.

Speaking as a former soldier myself, I would expect precision strikes against confirmed targets, involving ground units face to face, rather than just blanket bombing.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

I fail to see what bombing will achieve - killing key targets and IS fighters wont stop the next generation who will be influenced by the same extremist ideology.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Im rather pleased this thread has not descended into sillyism.... Tensions are quite high right now and it would seem very easy to start back biting, but thanks guys, you've kept it cool, keep it up
    Cheers, David

15. Received thanks from:

j.o.s.h.1408 (06-12-2015)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Im rather pleased this thread has not descended into sillyism.... Tensions are quite high right now and it would seem very easy to start back biting, but thanks guys, you've kept it cool, keep it up
    Ah.. don't follow this link then:
    http://newsthump.com/2015/12/02/came...e-and-for-all/

Seriously, same old, same old really.

As I said in the last thread that discussed something similar, we should probably try educating more people about Islam and other faiths and help bring them more into the open so that the extremists can't use people's ignorance on both sides against them.

As for bombing - is someone asking us to? We're not as good at it as even the French these days IMHO, certainly not up to US or Russian capabilities. And certainly there's massive confusion about Russia's role in the airspace - piling another nation in isn't going to help that confusion.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I think "bombing Syria" is a bit misleading. What this motion was about was targeted air strikes on Daesh, and ONLY Daesh, in Syria. It's not like we'll be carpet-bombing Raqqa.

All this gives permission for is the RAF to conduct the same missions against Daesh in Syria that we're already conducting in Iraq.

As for what it'll achieve, it's impossible to know. A handful of strikes, if you get the right targets, could make a significant difference. Imagine a WW2 bombing raid hitting a command post during a senior ranks briefing, maybe killing Rommel. A handful of gifted commanders, or planners, can make a big difference.

Or it can be small but significant things. Did anyone listen to the debate? Cameron gave one example of a group of (IIRC) Kurds engaged in a firefight with Daesh requesting air support. RAF Tornados were 8 minutes away but the incident was 1.5 miles inside Syria, so they could not assist. No other support was available, so those Kurds had to wait 40 minutes for other support, when the RAF could have done it but for that restriction, in less than a quarter of that time. That extra 32 minutes could be the difference between fighters we support being alive when air support arrives, and them not being. It might not be hugely important on a geopolitical scale, but I'm sure it was important to those Kurds, and their families. Not being able to help may well result in extra deaths under Daesh.

Also, from figures given, the Brimstine missile has a capability pretty much unique to us, which is that it's relatively small warhead but is extremely accurate and highly effective at hitting fast-moving targets. The small warhead means, apparently, that it'll destroy small targets, like vehicles, but without flattening adjacent buildings in the process. So, that may offer the ability to hit targets where, without it, the choice is to not fire and let the target escape, or fire and risk substantial "collateral damage". Horrible term, that.

I'm no military expert, but even I can see that gaving that capability available may open up attack options that aren't politically viable, due to collateral, without it.

And according to figures given, in Iraq, the UK has 8 out of 25 aircraft capable of high precision attacks, to represents approximately 33% of the capability. And of some 2500 missions flown, under 400 have resulted in weapons fired, and there have been ZERO reported civilian casualties resulting.

All told, while I have some serious reservations about strikes, I support them on this limited and restricted basis because while doing something has a cost, so does not doing something. Daesh might well do a Paris-style attack in the UK. After all, they've already tried. But Corbyn's notion that we'll be less safe if we act seems, firstly, simply craven, and secondly, naive and idiotic. What does he think Daesh think of us .... that because we're conducting air operations against them in Iraq they're okay with that and won't try to hit the UK, but if we do it in Syria too, they will? Oh please, JC, what planet are you on?

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And according to figures given, in Iraq, the UK has 8 out of 25 aircraft capable of high precision attacks, to represents approximately 33% of the capability. And of some 2500 missions flown, under 400 have resulted in weapons fired, and there have been ZERO reported civilian casualties resulting.
    This I like the sound of. Killing innocent peoples families is a great recruitment tool for extremism as well as an awful price to pay. If it's just combatants that are getting hit the humanitarian concerns are gone and a major recruitment tool is denied from them.

We just need to be very careful about making sure we're selecting the right targets and not using AC-130 gunships to level hospitals like a certain military have done recently.....
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Or it can be small but significant things. Did anyone listen to the debate? Cameron gave one exampleof a group of (IIRC) Kurds engaged in a firefight with Daesh requesting air support. RAF Tornados were 8 minutes away but the incident was 1.5 miles inside Syria, so they could not assist. No other support was available, so those Kurds had to wait 40 minutes for other support, when the RAF could have done it but for that restriction, in less than a quarter of that time.
    But why was the RAF the only one that could help in that time? Air support is (in my completely non-expert opinion) better able to be provided by the US and French from their carriers, or the Russians from their base *in Syria*. If it's a question of cost, we don't we just help out financially and make more efficient use of that money? Or if we have an airbase in a good location, why not allow these other nations to make use of it?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information