Thread: Difference form an A+ to an A+++

Registered+
    Thanks

Difference form an A+ to an A+++

I was just wondering. As two years ago I bought a house. And I got a fridge that's an A+ and it says it uses 270 kWh/annual.
    I saw a fridge that's A+++ and it uses 179 kWh/annual. Was wondering if I would see a difference in my electrical bill or not really?

As since I bought my house I'm more contious on how much electricity I spent hahaha

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Re: Difference form an A+ to an A+++

You'd see a difference in the meter reading of 91 kWh per year, assuming perfect conditions and ideal (as tested) usage of the fridge.

British Gas, just as an example, charge 16.5p/kWh on their standard tariff, so that would save you about £15 a year.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks. So for that amount it's not worth getting a new fridge for then. Even if the fridge lasts 10 years that would be £150 only.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos27 View Post
    Thanks. So for that amount it's not worth getting a new fridge for then. Even if the fridge lasts 10 years that would be £150 only.
    Well it's the difference in price. It probably isn't worth it unless you need to change the fridge anyway, when you then need to consider the difference in price.

You may find the A+++ fridge has better build quality, or longer warranty. And energy prices are likely to increase over time.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Ah ok will look in to it the day I would have to buy a new fridge then. For now I will keep my A+ and change it to an A+++ the day it breaks or I need a bigger one. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I've found that most of these ratings are down to the size of the unit. Small ones use more energy than large ones, if you want decent capacity you're not going to get great performance (especially when it's a fridge/freezer combined).

Arguably the best way to be economical and environmental is to buy the product that is likely to last the longest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Well it's the difference in price. It probably isn't worth it unless you need to change the fridge anyway, when you then need to consider the difference in price.

You may find the A+++ fridge has better build quality, or longer warranty. And energy prices are likely to increase over time.
    I love my A+++ fridge freezer. It has the added bonus of having additional features like meat and fish chiller which increases food freshness. Elsewhere, the food appears to keep longer. So not only am I saving on energy I'm saving on my food bill as well. How's that for double whammy saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos27 View Post
    Your predicted saving is based on whether energy price is kept at a constant. Sadly, energy price is on a long term upward trajectory. I'd say review the situation in five years time and then recalculate. Your fridge freezer would have depreciated in value and your circumstances may have changed by then. Hopefully there would be A++++ in future unless the backward Brexiteers decided to abolish the energy efficiency labels.

Thread Information