• Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Is it time to arm the police?

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    We don't do firearms databases here, for obvious reasons,
    Forgive me, what are the obvious reasons?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    So.... you're not anti-gun. Nor are you anti-conservative.
    Are you asking me if I am, or trying to tell me what I am?

No, perhaps I'm not... but neither am I desperately in favour of either them, though.
    Not sure where you're trying to go with this....

You're not as unusual as I thought then.
    I'm probably more Liberal than you think, but also sick of being screwed over by selfish people taking advantage of liberalism, and feeling the need to punish them for seriously taking the mickey, at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I saw what happened to Cat the Fifth with Ttaskmaster on another thread.
    Remind me, which one was this?

To clarify, I'm pro-freedom. I believe it is a civil right and a civil responsibility to own and to carry firearms, and that civil rights should not be made artificially expensive to exercise.
    Firstly, things still cost money.
    Secondly, I understand that civil responsibility includes NOT arming nut-jobs and anyone who might abuse that liberty... which is far easier to enforce before they get guns, rather than after they've got them and shot up a bunch of kids in school.

Or, to put it another way - Go to the parents of a kid that was gunned down in one of America's numerous school shootings and, to their face, tell them that saving their child's life isn't worth the couple hundred bucks admin fee.

We don't do firearms databases here, for obvious reasons
    Not obvious to me, either.
    Guns have serial numbers. Soon I expect they'll have embedded microchips and the like, as well. There must be a car registration database, so why not another for firearms?

having an App to do a mental health background check on someone sounds like a HIPPA nightmare.
    Doesn't have to be a complicated affair - More like a credit rating system. You check the firearms licencing database for someone's registration and it either pings back a yes or a no. Doesn't say whether they're mental, a criminal, not even registered, or any other reason for the rejection, just whether or not you can sell to them.
    They can then go away and sort out their own record with whichever agency runs it.

But I'm also in the US, where my local ranges aren't 'gun clubs'.
    Plenty of them are, though and with tighter regulation more would go that route.
    Not exactly a bad thing, IMO and you'd get quite the social side on top. Heck, I'm sure the government would find a way to raise some useful cash through such regulations, which would be even better for everyone.

Only a few states have magazine restrictions, and they usually aren't enforced.
    Even so, you don't really *need* that many rounds, do you?

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Excuse me???!!!
    Up to 50 thousand 'excess' deaths were recorded at hospitals during the last Labour Goverment. (Research by Sir Brian Jarman of Imperial College). They tried and failed with over 20 intitiatives, especially during the massive rise of MRSA when deaths almost doubled.

Even now, £660 million has been cut from Labour run NHS Wales over the last three years according to the Welsh TUC. When Labour came to power in 1997, spending on NHS managers was less than £190m. By 2010 this had increased by 450% to over £1bn per year.
    Labour wasted £11bn of taxpayers money on a failed IT project which was eventually scrapped by the NHS in 2013.
    Labour then lumbered the NHS with vast PFI repayments - £50 billion worth of loans which are costing £300 billion in repayments.
    Labour also *started* the privatisation of the NHS - They brought in the 2006 NHS Act that introduced competition into the NHS, Competition Act 1998, Enterprise Act 2002 & Public Sector Procurement Regulations 2006.
    What were the excess deaths before labour took power? I ask because without context, the statement is effectively meaningless. Here's a clue; it was higher. Much higher. And as for the NHS, yes, there were failed initiatives; it is simply impossible to run an organisation of the size and complexity of the NHS without ever getting wrong, but here's the thing; virtually every key measurement standard in healthcare is independently recorded to be higher when the NHS is run by a Labour Government. And for the ill informed, it's easy to scapegoat NHS managers; I should know because I was one for the best part of 10 years. But it's no coincidence that when the Tories culled managers in the NHS, waiting times grew, cancer targets were not met, and there has been a steady decline in performance of the NHS since they came to power. It's easy to dismiss the 'bureaucracy' in society as a waste of money, but it's one of the reasons why if you go into a NHS hospital now, you'll get worse care than 7 years ago, why you ended up eating horse instead of beef in your burger and why the service from the public sector in general (that you pay for BTW) is worse than when Labour were in charge.

When Labour's Gordon Brown became Prime Minister in 2007, UK public debt was 44.1% of GDP. When he left in 2010, it was 148.1%.
    Youth unemployment rose by more than 40% during Labour's 13 years in office.
    The devastating impact of Labour's raid on pensions: The tax grab has cost workers £118bn since 1997. (Office for Budget Responsibility).
    Under Labour zero hour contracts increased by 74% between 2004 - 2009. In 2012/13 Labour councils themselves employed nearly 23,000 people on zero-hour contracts.
    Council Tax doubled under Labour - 105% increase in England, 146% Wales. (The Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy: 26/03/09).
    Between 1997 to 2010 gas prices rose 133% and electricity prices rose 69%.
    The use of food banks went up tenfold under Labour. From 3,000 users in 2005/06 to over 40,000 by 2009/10. (The Trussell Trust/C4 FactCheck).
    Only 6,330 council houses were completed from 1998 to 2010 under Labour, compared with 17,710 in 1990 alone - Thatcher's final year as PM.
    If you think I'm a cheerleader for New Labour, you're wrong. I could give you a list 10 times of that above of what I think they did wrong, but it would be churlish of me to imply they did no good either. I mean, I could easily point out that, for example, public debt was was disproportionally higher across Europe as a result of the 2008 crash, or that whilst only 6k council houses were built, over 300k housing association properties were built, encouraged by subsidies provided by New Labour. But what's the point? They done some good, they done some bad. My original post was in response to yours which implied Labour had a history, and ownership, of financial mismanagement whilst in Government. That narrative is false in the context of any recent UK Government.

I understand the basics of what they tried to do, what they thought they were doing and why it backfired, costing us a lot of money in the process... £6bn, IIRC.
    You clearly don't understand if you are saying it 'backfired'. It could only have backfired if the aim of the sell off was to make a profit for the public purse. It wasn't.

Never said they did, but don't *assume* I'm voting for the 'other' party either...
    When did I assume you were voting for the 'other' party? I only referred to the Tories because any consideration of Labours time in Government has to be looked at in the context of periods when the Conservatives were in power.

The Royal Mail is now sold because of EU Postal Directive 2008/6/EC, brought in by the last Labour government.
    I'm not talking about the decision to sell off Royal Mail, I'm talking about the decision to set the share price low. That cost the taxpayers money, or does that not count because the Tories made that boo boo?

Thanks

Are you asking me if I am, or trying to tell me what I am?

No, perhaps I'm not... but neither am I desperately in favour of either them, though.
    Not sure where you're trying to go with this....

I'm probably more Liberal than you think, but also sick of being screwed over by selfish people taking advantage of liberalism, and feeling the need to punish them for seriously taking the mickey, at this point...

Remind me, which one was this?

Firstly, things still cost money.
    Secondly, I understand that civil responsibility includes NOT arming nut-jobs and anyone who might abuse that liberty... which is far easier to enforce before they get guns, rather than after they've got them and shot up a bunch of kids in school.

Or, to put it another way - Go to the parents of a kid that was gunned down in one of America's numerous school shootings and, to their face, tell them that saving their child's life isn't worth the couple hundred bucks admin fee.

Not obvious to me, either.
    Guns have serial numbers. Soon I expect they'll have embedded microchips and the like, as well. There must be a car registration database, so why not another for firearms?

Doesn't have to be a complicated affair - More like a credit rating system. You check the firearms licencing database for someone's registration and it either pings back a yes or a no. Doesn't say whether they're mental, a criminal, not even registered, or any other reason for the rejection, just whether or not you can sell to them.
    They can then go away and sort out their own record with whichever agency runs it.

Plenty of them are, though and with tighter regulation more would go that route.
    Not exactly a bad thing, IMO and you'd get quite the social side on top. Heck, I'm sure the government would find a way to raise some useful cash through such regulations, which would be even better for everyone.

Even so, you don't really *need* that many rounds, do you?

We can't limit rights to the rich. Poor people have the right to protect themselves too. Yes, school shootings happen, it's tragic, and I wish they could be prevented, however, more lives are saved by gun ownership. Just as Terrorism is part of life in a city, school shootings are part of living in a country with the right to protect yourself and family. School shootings are incredibly rare, and do not influence statistics. Again, more people are killed with baseball bats.

Not all guns have serial numbers. I have six or seven that don't and I have a few that I have made that I simply made up serial numbers. There's no obligation to put a number on there when making your own. he idea that the federal government can restrict something you make for your own use is fundamentally wrong.

The idea of that kind of government overreach is terrifying. Every time someone checks my credit, it damages my credit. This is why they need my authorization to do it. You want to make an App available for the public to be able to damage my 'credit' at any time? And, presumably black market actors to register hundreds of 'sales' to me, when they are really selling to felons, etc.

As for magazine restrictions, here's a perfect example:

Officer is shot but returns fire, empties his magazine but is unable to reload. Is still alive today only because the felon who shot him chose to run away from the now defenseless officer on the ground.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

I admit I haven't read the thread, but surely not, it would just lead to an escalating arms race with organised crime / mafiosa / high rolling dealers etc arming themselves and their associates.

I would really like to live out my days in a gun free country, if at all possible. I'm all for more armed response units, but the regular force hold a lot of responsibility and social heft (can't think of the right word), I wouldn't want to ever see them armed in the UK. Would prefer the Army got involved in law enforcement when required.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

he idea that the federal government can restrict something you make for your own use is fundamentally wrong.

The idea of that kind of government overreach is terrifying.
    Why?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

The idea that the federal government can restrict something you make for your own use is fundamentally wrong.

The idea of that kind of government overreach is terrifying.
    Why?
    If someone makes a car and wants to drive it on the road they have to register it, get it tested to ensure compliance with mandatory standards, etc. Same for buildings, you can design the most personalised custom dwelling but you still have to get planning permission and have it signed off by Building Control to ensure compliance with safety standards - for the good of both the occupants and general public. Why should that be any different for guns?

8. Received thanks from:

Millennium (10-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    If someone makes a car and wants to drive it on the road they have to register it, get it tested to ensure compliance with mandatory standards, etc. Same for buildings, you can design the most personalised custom dwelling but you still have to get planning permission and have it signed off by Building Control to ensure compliance with safety standards - for the good of both the occupants and general public. Why should that be any different for guns?
    Driving isn't a right.
    You don't need a license to exercise free speech. (Yet. Seems the Torys May try to fix that)...

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    So if I had the technology to build my own Terminator - for peaceful purposes only, mind, I would never build a robot expressly designed for killing other people so that i could kill other people, i'm just afraid of a home invasion here in the cotswolds - the government shouldn't have any right to stop me?

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Libertarians genuinely scare me, even more than anarchists.

Thanks

So if I had the technology to build my own Terminator - for peaceful purposes only, mind, I would never build a robot expressly designed for killing other people so that i could kill other people, i'm just afraid of a home invasion here in the cotswolds - the government shouldn't have any right to stop me?
    The bigger discussion there relates to civil rights for AI with that level of intelligence.

Thanks

Libertarians genuinely scare me, even more than anarchists.
    Authoritarians should live in fear.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

The bigger discussion there relates to civil rights for AI with that level of intelligence.
    It may be a bigger discussion, but it's also a different discussion. Would you care to elaborate as to what point, if one exists, a government should be able to step in for the safety of other citizens?

Thanks

It may be a bigger discussion, but it's also a different discussion. Would you care to elaborate as to what point, if one exists, a government should be able to step in for the safety of other citizens?
    Government should step in when a threat to another citizen exists. When a crime is committed and someone can be arrested and charged.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Government should step in when a threat to another citizen exists.
    that right there is why gun control is needed. the threat is there, real and proven. Too many high school shootings, etc. It is irresponsible to claim that the government should do nothing to protect its own citizens.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Government should step in when a threat to another citizen exists. When a crime is committed and someone can be arrested and charged.
    So the answer is never.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information