Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ebay madness

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    yes...it pays to read the description. there are 2 methods, bid early at a reasonable price and leave it. or snipe out some low priced items at the last second...

either method can work and be equally justified/justifiable
    Last edited by shiato storm; 25-04-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    its addictive this ebay stuff isn't it - i've found a few lenses at next to nothing, ones which I could do with...
    damn this bidding lark!!!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB DDR400 Corsair XMS
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2.5" 64GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce G210T / Geforce 7800GT
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    I always snipe, if you bid early and don't bid your maximum bid i.e. you revise your bid higher later you are in a sense only bidding yourself up.

Sniping has its advantages that the other person doesn't know that they have competition and therefore sometimes don't bother watching the auction close or if they do by the time you snipe its often too late for them depending how good you are and how fast you connection is.

Thanks
    I always (if I remember) bid in the last 20 sec's which having a fast connection helps alot, damn even my ex rings me up to bid on an item for her as she's only on 56k and gets outbid by the time the page does a refresh.

Made an epic boo boo the other day by putting six ok'ish pc games up in a single lot at 99p start thinking they were bound to go for around £20+ and they went for.....................you guessed it 99p DOH, I've only been using the site since 2001 so you'd think I'd learned that lesson by now, nope because there's nothing like being so cock sure of yourself for it to come around and smack you squarely in the face to remind ones self to put a damned reserve on just in case.

Let that be a lesson (I don't listen to folks) to you
    Founder of stupidity

iMc
    Thanks
    my mate had his phone on yesterday. went from £67 to £99 in less than 30secs. crazy.
    HEXUS|iMc

Tom
    Thanks
    what lenses did you grab shiato? remember only L glass completes the weather seal

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    Ebay is super addictive, i swear i've spent in excess of about £200 on there over the past month :s
    I'll see your £200 and raise you £520 (needed a new gig worthy bass and the got addicted to the cheap cds that can be found )

Thanks
    DOH!

i thought i'd follow the advice on here and found a sniping program to do the dirty work for me, but i got sniped by a sniper!! my prog bidded with 6 seconds to go, but he bidded with 7 seconds to go with the same bid! ROTTERS i was sure i was sneaky enought to win. maybe next time eh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    what lenses did you grab shiato? remember only L glass completes the weather seal
    currently looking at some serious L lenses. I plan to use it for climbing. the 1N has the advantage of a battery pack - apparently it can come off - so have the convienience and sureness of weather sealing. ok its a bit chunky but it'll survive the odd knock. also want to get into wildlife photography a lot...so a seal unit would help there too. basically its going to be a good zoom plus one that tops at around 100 and a wide angle for landscapes - cause we all like the odd landscape don't we.
    the 70-200 2.8 L looks a good bet at the mo as a zoom, with an extender can get x2. or may go for the 100-300 (or is it to 400) and then get a midrange like 50-135ish (don't quote me on the lengths). my dad will let me buy his 14-35 sigma (ultrawide baby!!) off him as he hardly uses his slr, so I'm sorted in that area. unless he gets himself a dSLR in which case he'll use his current canon lenes, nothing fancy like L just functional USM ones; 35-80, 70-300 and 14-35
    any advice gladly taken

I do plan on getting a dSLR to fit the lenses i get but this 1 series at the price i got it was too much of a bargain to miss - I haven't got an auto focus SLR!! although I love the OM-1 i want to have autofocus, it will help loads for taking rowing pictures too. try focusing on a fast moving boat without AF, I have managed to get publication using a camera like that but an AF would have been nice!
    I'll keep you posted on how things go..

there is a 70-200 IS L that I bid 400 for, this morning its upto 500. ok so it costs 1300+ new but i was hoping for a good deal. the camera i just bought was less than 30% its retail price...
    Last edited by shiato storm; 26-04-2005 at 10:40 AM.