Thread: My Rowing Rant...

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

My Rowing Rant...

had a rather amusing incident this morning as I was paddling along in my single, a four, with no one under about 60, tried to pass me but failed dissmaly (sp.?) and as a result got a bit cross with me. I merely - perhaps cockily - shrugged my shoulders at them and carried on regardless but was actually a bit p*ssed off at them complaining at me who wast tucked into the bank as far as humanly possible without causing an accident to me or my boat (lots of tree stumps sticking out into the water
    Add to the fact that the four tried to over-take me on a blind bend doesn't help, especially when there are novice (learners) out on the water. this means any fast moving crew coming up on a novice might do some damage as the inexperienced learner gets flustered in how to row...yada yada yada...crash happens!!
    so, here's my jovial rant at the muppets and the boatclub next door who are always complaining at us taking up the river - we politely stay quiet about all the novices they have milling about causing mayhem at the weekends, possibly the most busy period of the week for rowing. oh and I think they get annoyed cause we win lots, they don't...
    enjoy the rant!
    Quote Originally Posted by myself from another forum where I posted it just to make a point
    I would like to apologise to those it may concern that I may fully be at fault as I adhered to navigation rules keeping the river-bank on my starboard-side (the phrase "sucking the bank" comes to mind) as a crew, who assumed they were faster than me, attempted a dangerous maneuver by trying to overtake on a corner. Another single sculler, who had been forced into a tree not 50m previously down the river, could not slow this crew down to check for the safety of the stricken woman, who said chivalry was dead? Though I did find it strange that as I paddled happily along, well ahead of said crew I might add and swiftly departing their company, I got shouted at. For being dangerous.
    As a general rule to anyone, if the first thing - and only thing - to exit your vocal orifice is a curse directed at me or my actions, rest assured I wont listen and any respect I may have had for you no longer exists.

I admit I was going faster than a certain crew in question, but as rowing falls into the 'Un-powered Pleasure Craft' category there are, as far as I'm aware, no speed restrictions to thusly impinge upon one. I was also under the impression that if a rowing boat can go fast then surely this is the desired result of training and hard graft tuning the balance between fitness and technique to achieve a goal...read: 'A job well done'.
    What still remains is why I had received such a blessing from such a noteworthy crew. Well, clearly, I hadn't adhered to correct navigation rules and for that I am truely sorry. It was either that or a four couldn't keep up with a single and found it honourable to vent such frustrations...I can understand. really, I can. I thank you for your blessing and I am truely, deeply sorry.
    Further more I apologise for not allowing any crews come close to my boat or for that matter allowing them to push me into a hedge rendering hitherto unattained and undesired damage upon it. The boat is rather dear to me having seen me through times good times and better times. I do still use it and at every opportunity like to remind myself of what good rowing feels like, though with such avoidance tactics I am forced to take at times my patience does become tested. Thankfully my experience in such situations has, so far, averted any such fatal occurrences.

I would also like to apologise sincerely and take responsibility for any misconduct on the water this morning to all who may have been involved or at all inconveinienced by the scullers boating out of the University or Bristol Boat Club. I agree the fledgling sculling group has been learning, in some cases the hard way, about river navigation but their confidence, I am exstatic and proud to say, has grown and water speeds inevitably have increased. It is with this in mind that traveling at such speeds now attainable they may unknowingly upset other river users. Be assured every effort is being made to ensure they behave well whilst at speed. As usual at weekends it was busy out on the water this morning, with slow moving - mostly unattended - novice scullers in their numbers, some experienced rowers moving a bit faster and the University rowers well as a GB double doing some fast pieces (which I will add kept away from the portion of the river where novices were for safety reasons). I, along with everyone else in the sculling group, felt it prudent to remain as close to the bank as possible without the risk of hitting a branch and causing damage and injury to their boats and themselves, and without causing danger to the novice scullers.
    As you all know I am with the scullers all the time, either in a launch or sculling myself, so that I may maintain some control of their course down the river. At the end of the day novice scullers are boating from both clubs and it would be wise to keep an eye on them at all times. I am not saying they shouldn't get out there and enjoy themselves, that couldn't be further from the point, but a watchful eye over a slightly less dispersed group would serve to keep the river safe for all traffic.

Continuing on, I am aware that I am myself able to travel at a reasonably good speed (as clearly evident this morning). Having rowed for [too?] many years on the Tideway, excellent navigation is a necessary skill, a skill for which I have not forgotten dispite being removed from the afforementioned location. As UK inland waterway navigation rules explain (and has always been the case for rowing boats) and often is applied internationally also; Boats navigate up and down a river with the bank on their left (Starboard) side. Faster craft wishing to pass may do so on the outside (on right/Port side) unless otherwise stated (such as on the Tideway were different rules apply) or it is dangerous to do so.
    Further more; that as the over-taken crew maintains it's speed keeping into the side of the river it allows the other, we are assuming faster, crew to pass. [please correct me if I am much mistaken on this point].
    Of course the Tideway has its quirks as set out by the PLA (port of London Authority) who, for the safety of all 'non-powered pleasure craft', decide the safest navigation routes up and down the Thames where-by the side of the river you follow is determined by water depth, ability to reach safety should an accident occur and tide... With this in mind I make every effort to teach those about me safe river conduct both during more stationary activities and for avoiding on-coming crews not so well versed in navigation.
    When a crew is unable to - or cannot for any reason - pass, as navigation rules explain, there is no need for the craft ahead to alter it's course as, and lets be honest here, for one to move out into the middle of the river could only lead to an accident. Especially on a 'blind bend'. Overtaking on a corner is always a maneuver that carries some risk, especially if the end of the corner cannot be seen by the steers-person of any boat and an unknown quantity of inexperienced river users are abound. Any truely experienced crew would acknowledge this...

Once again I am sorry for any upset the scullers may have caused this morning whether it was due to their increased speed or unwillingness to rub the bank any further in avoidance of on coming crews. And if we prevented you from enjoying your rowing experience this morning or inconveinienced you in any way please don't hesitate to contact me...
    rant over...