Thread: Architecture as a career *help*

Thanks

Architecture as a career *help*

Hi, I am faced with decisions and choices, and am immensely confused and a bit worried . I need HELP!!! So here we go…

What is architecture as a career, I believe its quite long (7yrs) and what about job prospects? I mean what is the starting salary? And what is the pay/how it changes as u become more experienced? How much is the top salary like?

Also, if I were to do an architecture course, which uni shall I go to? What subjects shall I chose at a level?

arghh... i am confused pls help

many thanks

Thanks
    First of all, i'd suggest going to see your careers adviser, you'll have one at school/college. If not then is there a careers service in your area? I know we have a few careers drop in centres in glasgow that help people with any questions. Next, if you know any architects, ask them how they got to where they are, and where they trained. Go onto the ucas website and see what unis do architecture as a course. Send off for prospectuses for as many of the unis as you would like, some unis even give you info on your chosen subject and detailed info about the course itself i.e structure. You can check the Times' legue tables for unis that teach architecture and see which are the top unis for the subect, and find out what subjects you need to take and what grades you'll need to get in. Also think about which course sounds most enjoyable. You dont want to take a course that sounds boring, cos you'll just regret it.

I would say you would almost definitely need physics, probably maths too to get into an architecture course. I dunno what english schools call it, but in scotland we have a subject called Graphic communication, which would probably stand you in good stead too. But i'm not 100% sure on it as i studied Chemistry

Thanks
    My old flat mate studied architecture which is 7 years (bear in mind 4 of those are work experience iirc). All he did in the first year was build model buildings

Thanks
    I am currently doing architecture as a summer job (i'm 16). Subjects which def help are art and maths as both are widly needed. Also technology (in NI we do technical drawing, dono about england) is of benefit, especially with our course as you learn how to put a project together and tackle challenges.

As for training, everyone at work has done it in some course, wether night course or the full uni thing. Ive had to learn on the job, and it is quite a steep curve (and i'm still only doing basic things)

If you want me to ask any other staff anything, say and i'll get back to you.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys n gals keep em comin

To see your careers adviser
    Yeah, i am definitely seeing them, just thought it will be a good idea to get some comments in from othr ppl as well.
    Graphic communication
    graphic design/techonology?

any other staff anything, say and i'll get back to you
    what are the rates of pay when u get out of uni (such as cambridge which says it is a 3 year course)? Also, what kind of pay are u looking at after doing a full 7 year course? Is the work done independant or teamwork?

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED
    I'm not sure you have to do 7 years before you can join RIBA, which is like a chartered architect type thing. I went to Nottingham uni and believe they have a very good architectural department. I'd suggest looking further into their facilities and reputation etc. as Nottingham is quite a cool place.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_s
    graphic design/techonology?

Yeah, it'll be like jsterling's technical drawing course. We did different elevations of objects and had our own design projects along with various other things, but the one I did was a short course, i know you can get full courses tho

Anyway, good luck, and i hope you get there eventually! All i can say is get as much info as possible and ask as many people as you can questions

Thread Information