Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A DIY Cruise Missile

Thanks

A DIY Cruise Missile

This guy decided to prove that you can easily build your own cruise missile with a budget of US$5,000. Check out what happened to this guy once he completed the project.....

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

Thanks
    They stepped in to stop him building his own WOMD ?

Spoilsports.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    As the guy says, he wasn't producing a howto guide for terrorists just getting media attention to the fact you can build a working missile system for $5,000.

Its not a WOMD, hell without really clever payloads it wouldn't be able to kill 10 people. Its no more a WOMD than a hammer. Rocket science, is a very intresting application of physics, and worth research, this isn't like someone saying a gun is a tool, this is more versitile, this is designed to reach its target, which on $5k is a very intresting challenge. Its a bit media seaking, and i wouldn't like to draw attention to myself so people might actually want my skills for killing people. Or make money off the back of it.

The inteligance services, should of used this as a honeypot in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they were, and someone thought hmm this $5k rocket could scare people, and then decided to silence it.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    makes you think though...'tis alarmingly easy to build a potential weapon isn't it!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    As the guy says, he wasn't producing a howto guide for terrorists just getting media attention to the fact you can build a working missile system for $5,000.

Its not a WOMD, hell without really clever payloads it wouldn't be able to kill 10 people. Its no more a WOMD than a hammer. Rocket science, is a very intresting application of physics, and worth research, this isn't like someone saying a gun is a tool, this is more versitile, this is designed to reach its target, which on $5k is a very intresting challenge. Its a bit media seaking, and i wouldn't like to draw attention to myself so people might actually want my skills for killing people. Or make money off the back of it.

The inteligance services, should of used this as a honeypot in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they were, and someone thought hmm this $5k rocket could scare people, and then decided to silence it.
    One thing I don't get about this is that whats the difference between me saying i'm building it for "fun" and building it for terrorist purposes?.

Openly building something like this and building something covertly makes what difference to the fact it could be used as a weapon?.

I'm not suprised it got shut down. Building weapons without being a company isn't going to make you popular with any westernised government in my opinion.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    Anything can be used as a weapon. Shutting this thing down was foolish and only limits freedom of speech. It won't limit anyone considering a terrorist attack in the slightest. It won't protect anyone.

You have a far cheaper, much more accurate, and more deadly weapon if you simply load your luggage (or whatever) up with explosives, rent a small plane, shoot the pilot while in the air, push him/her out, then ram into your target detonating the explosives as you hit. All you need is a significant quantity of explosive (a few hundred dollars max), a plane charter (not much more), and a crappy concealable firearm/kinife that could kill someone at close range (less than 50 bucks), and the ability to turn a plane (free).

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ^ and the desire to kill yourself in a firey explosion...i guess the only cost of that is sanity.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    Life is the cheapest component of all. It's not that hard to find people willing to die for stupid reasons.

Regardless, if you really wanted to kill some people and get away with it, at least in the short term, you would be better off just leaving a timed explosive somewhere and walking/drving away. 5,000 dollars for a cruise missle that only carries 10kg of explosive and is only accurate to within 100m is plainly a rip off.

There is still no good defense agaisnt a publicly placed car bomb. Buy or steal a crap car, put 100KG of black powder, dynamite, acetone peroxide, or whatever, in the trunk, use a cheap clock for a timer, or an RC remote and servo for a detonator, then just blow it up (or time it to go off) when a bus goes by, or when there are lots of pedestrians on the sidewalks. Got a better chance of killing people and getting away with it long enough to do it again than you with a homemade cruise missle.

Thanks
    this is the thing, the delivery method isn't important.

You should see the enthusiasts at the rocket club, hell even star(worm?) chaser a few years ago that nearly set fire to a local moor.

Its anything for the rocket to carry that merrits been shut down. Say like saying "this is how easy it is to achive critical mass", or "this is my own personal influenza strain".

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    they really are spoilsports, i wanted to know what would happen to it
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    Its anything for the rocket to carry that merrits been shut down. Say like saying "this is how easy it is to achive critical mass", or "this is my own personal influenza strain".
    Perpetuating ignorance doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Thanks
    long run no, short run yes, oh god yes.

smtkr
    I think most of you have hit the nail on the head--the delivery method is not important. If anything, this project shows how not to do something, as this weapon is pretty useless compared to what Timothy McVeigh made for a fraction of the price.

Thanks
    Um.. 10kgs of high explosive in that rocket would do a heck of a lot more damage than 100kgs of fertilizer bomb.

Think he shoulda produced the rocket powered karts, much more fun than WMDs

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    Think he shoulda produced the rocket powered karts, much more fun than WMDs.
    He did make the rocket powered carts. Anyway, how is a 10kg conventional explosive a weapon of mass distruction? People seem to be getting looser with the term.

Um.. 10kgs of high explosive in that rocket would do a heck of a lot more damage than 100kgs of fertilizer bomb.
    Maybe, but accuracy within 100m is not so great.

Thanks
    someone overraits airburst detination for terror attacks. People in just the right amount of confined space is what you want for uber casualties, bus staitons, train stations, tower blocks. All good candidates, a missile that travels long distances isn't that greater problem, 10kg payload, is nothing.

The V2 rockets were propaganda wepons more than anything. History shows that people really were intrested in them because of manhatten project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information