Thread: Council Tax [1x Student + 1x Professional]

Thanks

Council Tax [1x Student + 1x Professional]

next year we're looking to get our own place, rented, because in this day and age who can afford to sign up to a house!

im a young prof, and my gf is a student.

i was told, that if we moved in together, we would get 25% off our council tax. not quite sure why, or if this is true?

can someone give me the lowdown?

Huggable
    Thanks
    • Starburn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Epox 9NPA+
      • CPU:
      • A64 4000+ (@ 12x210)
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gig Corsair XMS Pro (DDR400 @ 420)
      • Storage:
      • 2x80gig Raid0 & 1x200gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X1800XT (above stock)
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R Modular (580W)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Wave
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" TFT & 50" TV (for games)
      • Internet:
      • Be 24mb
    Yeah you will get 25% off..

I'm in a similar situation next year (although the other way around ).. hoping to get all sorts of benefits for being a poor student, even though the missus is working.. hm.

edit: btw, I think it's classed as a single person discount as a student is invisible when it comes to council tax, so it's as if there is only one adult in the house and thus 25% off.
    Last edited by Starburn; 14-10-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    We cannot choose what we are.. but what are we but the sum of our choices?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I think this is true too... You need to get your GF to get an excemption form (i think the Uni can provide this) and get this to the right person for council tax in the council though. (but my info was for around about year 2000). but it is correct that single occupancy is 25% off council tax..

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    my dad reviewed tax law a while ago, was handy a few years ago when the council tried to take us all to court for excess of £2000, reposess our things and all the rest of it. clearly some idiot in the council office hadn't even bothered to check we were students. typically some self-righteous(sp) moron behind a desk scrubing around looking for ways to scrounge more money for his council because they're all so inept at actually keeping tabs on were the money is going and how there is no efficient spending at all.
    needless to say a letter headed by my dad, from his chambers shut them up straight away. go dad!
    councils are utterly Anal and will make you jump through hoops, despite the fact you've given them all the relavent information. just be sure when you send in exemption forms you get confirmation of receipt, in fact perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea to send recorded so you know for sure its in their hands.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Its not the council's responsibility Shiato, it was yours, i had to submit a council tax exemption every year i was at uni and living outside of halls, just like its my responsibility to claim 25% reduction with single occupancy. Hardly think its fair for you to critise someone for doing their job...

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

kitty cat
    Thanks
    me and fraggie are like that now, im the one working and hes the student, i get 25% off for being a single person and hes get his excemption form, you can try and get more off depending on your income and also see if you can get help with your rent (i think that also goes on your income) we applied for both but was turned down as income was to high, but you will have to talk to your council offices about all that,

we have now made a new claim as our situation have changed abit so im not sure whats happening with us yet but thats what we used to get, hope it helped?
    Kitty cat meoWWWW......ill take that kiss now...

Thanks
    Unless they've changed the rules you should get 50% off your council tax. 25% is the single-person discount, which only ever applies to one person living there.

However, if the house is half-or-more occupied by students, you get 50% off the tax, as they're council tax exempt. If it's more than half employed-people, you have to pay it all though. And there's no pro-rata based on how many students, either.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    Its not the council's responsibility Shiato, it was yours, i had to submit a council tax exemption every year i was at uni and living outside of halls, just like its my responsibility to claim 25% reduction with single occupancy. Hardly think its fair for you to critise someone for doing their job...
    it was their responsibility to realise we had actually sent them all the information they needed and also understand the property was owned by the university so non-students could not possibly have lived there! if they'd been doing their job properly they wouldn't have wasted time, theirs or ours...