Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: london buses

Thanks
    Originally posted by TeePee
    Unfortunately you are in the minority. The vast majority of cyclists in London are a menace to themselves and others.
    Just wondering if you actually cycle around in the center of London?? If you do, you'd notice that 90% of all cyclists (whether they go fast or slow) follow the law and all the trimmings that come with the Highway Code. Again, it is the remaining 10% that go and do stupid things at traffic lights and jumping on and off the pavement, etc.

As far as I'm concern, most of this 10% of renegades are not that good cyclists and they strive to 'beat the traffic' by relying on the breaking the laws that govern the etiquette of road usage. Whether they're on the bike or in the car, they're going to behave like jerks.
    Last edited by spikegifted; 28-10-2003 at 12:13 PM.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bindibadgi
    To be honest there's no way in hell id cycle on a busy road, ill always go on the pavement unless its packed with people. The roads in this country are too packed and not designed for bikes and for drivers i can understand its like trying to avoid a pedestrian on speed.
    The pavement (or sidewalk, if you prefer US lingo) is never designed to accommodate bicycles. Please never let me see you on your bike on the pavement...
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    actually I would class myself in the higher end of that 90%...primarily because I don't want to end up pasted onto the front side of a bus - oh wait, I almost was...!
    so how the hell do we as bikers - IN THE RIGHT (as I was in this particular situation) get to say whats wrong? because 9 times out of ten when an arsey driver hits a cyclist there isn't anyone left to make a complaint.
    what I think happened in my case was that when I was in front of this bus the driver became impatient and thus over took me, but realising he had to stop started to pull in - and wondered why I collided with the side of his [beloved] bus and I was angry at him...!! go figure.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    I'd say 10% at the very most stop at traffic lights, for example. I've never cycled in London, and I never would, but I drive and ride a motorcycle (and I'm one of the minority of sensible motorcyclists) into town every day. It is rare for me to see a cyclist stop at a red light. I agree with you that you were entirely in the right and the bus driver should get everything he deserves. Especially since this wasn't really an 'accident' since he had to have seen you.

Thanks
    I'd say 10% at the very most stop at traffic lights, for example. I've never cycled in London, and I never would, but I drive and ride a motorcycle (and I'm one of the minority of sensible motorcyclists) into town every day. It is rare for me to see a cyclist stop at a red light.
    What you've said is entirely consistent with people who don't ride a bike in London - you don't notice the good cyclists. All you care to point out are the ones who break the rules, but not those who observe them. That's like saying all Moscovite drivers are crazy and drive on the pavement in traffic jams, but it's completely untrue, because only half of them do.

Thanks
    In that case, since you don't drive a bus in London, how can you criticise bus drivers, just because you met a bad one?

Thanks
    In that case, since you don't drive a bus in London, how can you criticise bus drivers, just because you met a bad one?
    Eh... Hmmm... I don't seem to recall complaining about buses and bus drivers...

Thanks
    nope but I did...

my point is that the majority of bus drivers - in london - are not fully aware of their surroundings and fellow road users and appear to pull out into traffic with blatent disregard knowing that an act was passed that said that the buses have right of way (or 'give way to the bus' i think its called), and that many bus drivers abuse this...
    also true is that cyclists are often struck by carelss drivers, of which there are many in this town, and that invariably they will be the ones coming out with a hole in the head as some rich "see you next tuesday" sits there in their oversized mercedes benz...

-i'll add to that point a little-

i am frequently frustrated by inept london drivers that fit a particular stereotype - you may or may not be offended by what I'm about to say but there you go - these regular annoyancies are small asian/middle eastern women who can hardly see over their steering wheels through their silly yashmack things (god knows why they wear all that ridiculaous get-up in this country anyway...) and drive hideously big cars (such as merc's) and clearly are utterly unaware of their situation in any shape or form. they drive around in such a dosey manner its a wonder who lets them drive in the first place!!

I have claimed the lives of three wing mirrors from such drivers, and delivered satisfying dents to other unwitting goons. they are marked on the side of my bike as would a WW2 pilot who has downed the enemy.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Registered+
    Thanks
    I did not say I ride on the pavement. I do not ride anywhere anymore because it just too dodgy. “Spikegifted”, you don’t agree with my point that there is significantly less danger of a fatality or serious injury between a pedestrian and a cyclist than between a cyclist and car?

I can understand that riding on the pavement in rush hour London is not practical. However the majority of people do not live in London. If I could ride on the pavement in my town it would be safer IMO and I would be a lot fitter because I would actually use my expensive bike. What we really need are more cycle lanes. Unfortunately Satan will be skating to work before we get a decent amount.

Indeed “TeePee”, I’m not sure any road incident is actually truly an accident, since someone is normally at fault, e.g. skid on ice = should have been going slower.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    yes and the more cycle lanes 'they' build the more spaces cars have for parking in...