Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: london buses

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

london buses

there are no words that can come close to what I want to describe how I feel about london bus drivers and how utterly inept they really are at driving.
    I was hit today coming back from rowing - thus slightly tired and not needing what was about to happen...
    I go reasonably fast on my bike, enough to keep up with the traffic anyway, so there I was peddling along coming up to hammersmith (just past ravenscourt park) and I pass a bus at a bus stop. thinking nothing of it at the time as I wizzed past I continued on when suddenly out of the corner of my right eye I see just RED...
    the bus I passed, clearly not giving a sh*t, had buzzed up behind me, over taken and knowing full well he had to stop at the next bus stop he pulled in - RIGHT INTO ME!!

yes, he hit me. not off my bike completely but I was being basically forced into a line of parked cars and pedestrians waiting to get on this offending bus...
    I also smacked my right knee and shoulder on the side of this several ton thing as I was cut up, and both are in considerable pain right now. my mate is a physio so can get them fixed if they proove to be buggered a bit - i know my knee was sore prior to this incident by clearly being hit by several tons of flying metal (compared to my 70kg - plus bike - mass...you work out the rest) didn't help.

when I came level with the doors I shouted at the bus driver asking him quite what he thought he was doing - to which he swore at me, and told me where to go.

so I would like to know do I have any rights as to this matter, who do I contact to report this irresponsible driver? the police, bus company?...I'm utterly pissed off at the way they think they can get away with it, and someone has to just stand up and say no.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    You need witnesses and the index from the bus. If you have these then report him to the police for leaving the scene of a road traffic accident. Without witnesses you're out of luck.

I agree with you and I've seen some appalling driving from bus drivers. In my opinion bus drivers are second only to cyclists in my list of dangerous road users.

Thanks
    well, I know some cyclists can be a bit mental, as with motorcycle couriers! but buses are the worst, ever since they made that ruling about having to give way to the bus - they just pull out regardless of whos on their outside...many times have I been forced into on-coming traffic by some arse...

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah a lot of motorcyclists seem late for an appointment with the Grim Reaper. I thought a law was passed that when an accident between a cyclist and motor vehicle occurs that the accident is assumed to be the motor vehicle driver's fault unless the motor vehicle driver can prove otherwise. I remember it being on the news. I am just assuming the bill was passed. Without the bus number I cannot see how you would ever hope to prosecute the driver. Without a witness I do not see how you can prove an accident actually took place. Are there any CCTV cameras covering the scene? You can demand the tapes under the data protection act, I believe, for a 'reasonable' price and time-scale. I would hope that because it is to prove an accident took place they would help you anyway though.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    under data protection act ANY data purtaining to myself i.e. details such as images of me, my address held by a company etc I may request BY LAW a copy of the data any company holds on me (and I may chose who holds my data too, i think)
    as far as cameras on the bus are concerned then I think most have them now.

there is a law that goes along the lines of if anyone is in a RTA (road traffic accident) all parties are obliged to remain at the scene, to bugger off in other words is breaking the law because someone could be lying on the road bleeding through a newly aquired hole in the head!
    actually i have another story about some blind cretin that took no notice of the fact that I had right of way on a round-a-bout and colision occured...now i'm not worried about the odd bump but when its me vs car moving at 90 degrees to me i begin to worry.
    scenario; a straight road with a t-junction leading to a road off to the right with one of those silly little 'painted' round-a-bouts in the juction (i.e a council money saving sceme so that traffic lights are not needed). I am on this straight road aiming to turn off to the right (where the smaller road goes), therefore I must go over this round-a-bout.
    some silly b*tch coming the otherway on the straight road, moving reasonably fast, I am at this point ON the round-a-bout turning towards the exit when i suddenly see a silver thing in my left eye and BLAMM!

a foot wide and high dent in the front of the car () as I see bonnet, sky, bonnet, sky...concrete.

bitch stopped then drove off.
    police? they didn't do sh*t.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    im currently involved in legal procedings following being hit by a car while cycling. you should get the bus's num plate + driver name if you wish to prosicute. if he hit you and you wernt to blame (ie were reasonably visable etc) then you can claim, but you probably need witnesses...

police do do sh*t when your face has taken out a car windscreen and is containing quite a bit of it when they drive up..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    yeah, i'v lost a bit of faith in the police when I arrived at the police station to find it was closed for the next two days after being told the squad car on the way actually wasn't (an hour later) and that I had to walk several miles to the nearest station - complete with busted bike. luckily no body bumps but a bit shaken.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    I cycled in London a lot before moving here to Oz and am in total agreement with you - the times I've almost been knocked off my bike have always been by buses. Damn annoying.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Registered+
    Thanks
    I think bus drivers generally are either crazy or arrogant or both - I can't count the number of times I've been in my car, passing a bus that's only just pulled up, and then the driver surges forward as I'm passing in an attempt to make it difficult for me to pull back in again.
    Either that or they're completely ignorant of mirrors.

Thanks
    I've never been knocked of by buses. However, the number of times I've been given a close shave or have actually been knocked of by motorists is due to one of two things: 1) aggressive drivers who don't look where they're going (including right turning without signals, left turning without signals, ignoring red lights, etc), or 2) obstacles on ‘cycle lanes’ (such as broken bottles, parked cars, slow bikers, pedestrians, etc) force me onto traffic and the drivers in turn do something stupid.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    i can't understand the point of cycle lanes when all drivers go and do is park in them. f*ing useless. if they're gonna make some flippin' well enforce them rather than letting cars use them as prking spaces without yellow lines.